YETI SB5.5 T-SERIES X01 EAGLE 2018 - More Hype than truth?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019

YETI SB5.5 T-SERIES X01 EAGLE 2018 - More Hype than truth?

I've noticed that there are a number of these for sale used, more so than any other 2 year old or newer bike on craigslist.

Seems strange that a $6995 bike would be leading the used market. Most are listed for $3500 to $4000, with is a considerable loss.

I also found new online for $4695.00, a 35% markdown.

Last, I found 2 reviews (by the major online reviewers) that gave it less than gleaming reports.

Anyone have personal experience riding one and comparing it to a comparably priced competitor? What were your impressions?
    What type of trails and riding was it on?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    There is a really long thread in the Yeti forum on this bike. It was very popular, but it's discontinued now and the reason you see frames is that people are moving to the new model that replaced it most likely.

I owned this bike for a little over 2 years and it was great. I tend to go through bikes and the 5.5 always seemed to stick around. It's a very forgiving bike and whenever I was going to do something stupid, it's the bike I took and it saved me a few times. The final reason that I sold it? Well, bikes have become a bit longer and I was right on the edge of a M and a L and I went with Medium. Now that my other bikes are longer, I would want a Large. If I had a Large from the beginning, I would still own the Yeti.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Yup, guys started unloading them as soon as the new models came out. Bike is a really good do everything bike. Geometry is a little dated compared to the new breed of bikes that are out now but if the new angles and longer reach aren’t a priority you can get a really good deal on a 5.5 and be really happy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I bought a new one in 18, love it. I use offset bushings in my shock mount to slacken it a degree and slightly lower it, plus a fox dhx2 coil. Great for everyday gnar in SoCal. My buddy has a 150 and that's a BIG heavy bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I almost bought a 5.5 back in October. Bike shop was selling off their demo's. Bike was an '18 5.5 Turq XT. Came with full factory warranty. They still have it for sale, price now is $4300. I ended up going with a v3 5010

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Here is some reading for you,

https://nsmb.com/articles/yeti-sb5-5-reviewed/

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Fantastic bicycle. However geo has moved on and their owners can usually afford to upgrade once other long travel 29ers surpassed it.

That's what I did.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Fantastic bicycle. However geo has moved on and their owners can usually afford to upgrade once other long travel 29ers surpassed it.

That's what I did.

I bumped into a local rider on a new SB5.5. He had demo'ed it for a few days out west, then did a demo of the SB130 here on our local trails. He thought for our type of trails that the SB5.5 was the superior bike. It really just comes down to geometry preference and what type of riding you do. I feel for the SB5.5 owners though. Given the short amount of time that the SB5.5 was out before the SB130 was released, Yeti really sort of screwed the owners of these bikes on re-sale value.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    I bumped into a local rider on a new SB5.5. He had demo'ed it for a few days out west, then did a demo of the SB130 here on our local trails. He thought for our type of trails that the SB5.5 was the superior bike. It really just comes down to geometry preference and what type of riding you do. I feel for the SB5.5 owners though. Given the short amount of time that the SB5.5 was out before the SB130 was released, Yeti really sort of screwed the owners of these bikes on re-sale value.
    3 model years for the 5.5. At that point Yeti was losing sales not having a new product.
    By modern standards, the 5.5 is a rough trail bike, not an enduro bike.
    I bought mine as a frame and sold it as a frame and after 2 years of riding and it cost me like $23/ month to ride, which was reasonable to me.
    At 5'11" my large 5.5 geo was off in several regards. An XL wiith a cut seat tube, I would have still been riding.
    Imo, the typical L used 5.5 is a good fit for a rider around 5'7" - 5'10".
    I loved mine, but also greatly prefer my Foxy 29 in every regard.

NW MTBER
    Looking at the T-series X01 in a medium. Anyone have a “real” weight by chance?? At $4679 I am VERY interested.
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Maverick Durance

mtbr member
    The Yeti SB5.5 was a top shelf bike when introduced. I’ve yet to see a “less than gleaming review” and my own experience with the bike has been fantastic. It’s only downfall is a relatively slack seat tube and short reach by current standards. Really more of a challenge for taller riders. I would suggest sizing up if possible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    MTBers are a fashionable bunch.

I bought an SB5.5 in 2016 because it was pretty much leading the reviews and I was NOT disappointed. Fantastic bicycle.

I did really began to have complaints about fit (on a Large at 5'11") before the long and slack movement fully hit. I began to really notice the fit shortcomings of these bikes and began to search for something radically different and settled on the Foxy 29 (absolutely no regrets, it is truly superior).

The thing is that bikes advance and improve very quickly. IMO 1 year of MTB development is = to about 3 year of MX development. A 7-8 year old bike really slows me down personally but many others don't seem to notice.

And yes, they have crap resale, that's just how it is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    After demo'ing a Ripmo I felt that the extended geometry was not for me. So I picked up a '18 5.5 Turq in great condition at a good price point - eagle OX build. To make it work best for me I upgraded the DT Swiss 350 18t with a 54t kit, Magic Mary/Nobby Nic tires and a Wolftooth integrated dropper lever.

A nice upgrade over my '14 SC 5010 v1. Climbs and descends like a champ. Thanks Yeti for coming out with a new line making this great bike available for a good price!