Yeti SB115 or Cannondale Scalpel SE- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Yeti SB115 or Cannondale Scalpel SE

Avid XC rider who rides most days, races occasionally on multiple stage/multi day events and likes to train and ride hard.

Owner of a 2019 Scalpel Highmod but chasing something a little more relaxed but still able to climb and haul all day. Choices are:

- Yeti SB115
    - Santa Cruz Blur TR
    - Scalpel SE

Scalpel SE is close to the higmod already owned so would be a similar bike with more travel...

Im thinking the SB115 would do the job ... has anyone got/ridden one? If lightened up a little would it still be right to race XC?

If so I could sell the Scalpel highmod and have a bike which can still train hard, race but have more fun and be more relaxed.

Cheers in advance for the input!

mtbr member
    I think if you are looking at a more dedicated XC race bike, the Blur. For more of a trail oriented bike, the SB115. I don't know anything about the Scalpel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    The SB115 is not really much different than the SB100 on paper - I imagine it rides very much the same. I ride an SB100 and race very competitively - it's plenty fast. The frame is a little heavy (5.9lb for a large) but builds up plenty light if you want to. Mine is 25.8lb with XT pedals and brakes, bottle cages, 210mm dropper, and 2.25" Aspens. I could easily drop 1lb with a lighter dropper, and XTR brakes/pedals.

I have very light XC wheels, and then some heavier, burlier wheels with bigger tires for every day trail riding. This has been a really great option instead of two bikes.

Today's 115-130mm trail bikes are really fast and efficient. With good light wheels and fast tires, they are very close to XC-bike speed on rugged terrain. If you're not fighting for the Expert podium, I think you'll be very happy going with a burlier bike. On long dirt road climbs, you can lock it out anyway, so it doesn't matter if it's 100mm or 130mm of squish. It's just the weight, which is 1-3lb. This is usually offset by the comfort and confidence factors during long races.

I'd look closely at the Trek Top Fuel, Spot Ryve, Pivot 429 trail, Kona Hei Hei, Transition Spur, or even an Ibis Ripley.

Going to a 130mm fork is quite a lot heavier than a 120mm SID Ultimate. Both the SID and 34SC top out at 120mm. If you're trying to really keep it light, limiting yourself to a 120mm fork will be a good start.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Awesome feedback! Thanks heaps.
    Thinking of keeping the build down on weight so it can still be light and fast!
    Seems the Scalpel SE and SB115 are in different leagues. The Scalpel SE on paper is quite a lot lighter and is 120mm from and back where the SB115 is 115mm rear and 130mm up front. The Cannondale is near half the price!

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    In my opinion, if you want light and fast, an Epic evo is the the way to go. The frame is crazy light (1.6-1.7kg medium), and together with a SID/34SC, it'll easily get below 11kg or 12kg if you're looking for more wallet friendly builds (like XT builds). Also recommend it for its threaded BB.

If you're looking for more a more downcountry spec, then the spur comes in range. Even more 'downcountry'? Then I'd go for a Tallboy.

mtbr member
    TB4 is a short travel enduro bike rather than an DC bike IMO. It's way long/low/slack.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Rocky Element

The rocky element gets a good review for trail riding and climbing and seems to be fairly well priced. These are more enduro that trail DC?