npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

XD Body Driver into Shimano Cassette?

What exactly is this? It looks like XD driver body into a Shimano CS-M8000 cassette. I didn't think it was possible... but more importantly, how do I get it out?

XD Body Driver into Shimano Cassette?-img_20181113_182406.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm sure it's a DT Swiss hub with Shimano style splines. The aluminum Shimano freewheels get gouged by the cassette which causes it to get stuck.

First thing I'd try is twisting them opposite to the engagement direction. This should break the cassette out of the gouge marks. If that doesn't work gently tap the freewheel out of the cassette with a hammer, just don't damage the threads. Worst case scenario is you damage the freewheel body and need to buy a replacement.

mtbr member
    Put it back on the wheel and use the tool for removing a Shimano cassette. With DT Swiss, you can just pull that off like that to more easily service it.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:43 AM.

npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    So you're saying that this is a "normal" shimano cassette with a DT Swiss hub stuck in it.

And when you say "the freewheel" - what do you refer to?

npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Put it back on the wheel and use the tool for removing a Shimano cassette. With DT Swiis, you can just pull that off like that to more easily service it.
    I don't have the wheel - I bought the cassette only

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by npn View Post
    So you're saying that this is a "normal" shimano cassette with a DT Swiss hub stuck in it.

And when you say "the freewheel" - what do you refer to?
    That's what it appears to be. Seems very odd someone would sell off a critical part of their hub with the cassette.
    Where did you get this and how much was it? I ask because that's a bit fishy.

You'll need a lockring tool and most likely a chain whip to remove it.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Yeah, you are now the proud owner of a Shimano cassette and half of a DT Swiss hub.

It doesn't have to be on the wheel to separate them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qJmSq8gv0Y

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I don't have the wheel - I bought the cassette only
    Congratulations on receiving a bonus DT Swiss freehub body! A bunch of different hub manufactures make hubs with the Shimano style splines. That freehub body isn't made by Shimano, it's just made to fit Shimano cassettes.

Since they left the freehub in there it might not be stuck from being gouged. Watch the video MSU linked and the freehub should come right out of the cassette.

I'm wondering if you bought some stolen goods. No one's just going to give their freehub away with a cassette....

npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    The cassette is already removed and the what I thought was XD driver body, is inside and stuck - it doesn't just come off. I also tried to tap it out by using a rod from the other side of the cassette, no luck.

I got it at a swapmeet along with the rest of the 2x11 XT setup for a good price and I wasn't paying attention to the back of the cassette

The question remains - how do I get it out?

mtbr member
    let me know what you sort out, id be in the market for that free hub for my dt swiss hub

npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post

Since they left the freehub in there it might not be stuck from being gouged. Watch the video MSU linked and the freehub should come right out of the cassette.
    I watched it, I don't think it shows anything about the freehub coming out.

npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    I'm wondering if you bought some stolen goods. No one's just going to give their freehub away with a cassette....
    I believe was the shifters that came with were in an amazon envelope with the guy's name and address... not that they were bought from amazon, but something he put them in, so I doubt the stuff was stolen.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    The cassette is already removed and the what I thought was XD driver body, is inside and stuck - it doesn't just come off. I also tried to tap it out by using a rod from the other side of the cassette, no luck.

I got it at a swapmeet along with the rest of the 2x11 XT setup for a good price and I wasn't paying attention to the back of the cassette

The question remains - how do I get it out?
    It's not an XD driver, but it's the Shimano equivalent. It's a freehub body. That's the part that goes into the drive side of the hub and has the pawls which allow the hub to freewheel (spin freely) one direction and not the other (coasting vs. pedaling). Typically it's considered part of the hub but it is a removable, replaceable part.

The process for removing the freehub from the cassette is exactly the same as removing a cassette from a wheel, because it's the part of the wheel that the cassette attaches to - nothing else. The only difference is you don't need a chain whip, since the freehub body won't be spinning in the hub shell like when it's attached to a wheel. You'll just need to find a way to hold it in place so the cassette lock ring can spin independently from it.

This is a bit tough to explain if you haven't messed with hubs much, so I'm not shocked you're having a hard time figuring out what we're saying. If you're still unsure, my guess is any good shop will pull that out for you for free in no time at all and have a laugh with you that someone sold them together. Take a six pack in to be sure though.

npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Guys - after hours of serious research, reading numerous articles on MTB and watching countless youtube videos, I decided on a suitable course of action:

I twisted the lockring... by hand... counterclockwise, and voila, the hub free body is set free... LMAO

XD Body Driver into Shimano Cassette?-s95iict.jpg
    XD Body Driver into Shimano Cassette?-zsnrymf.jpg

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Good job. Since you didn't know how to remove a cassette from a freehub, please do some more research how to install your parts and maintain a bike or you're going to be in for a very poor riding experience.

npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I was actually being sarcastic. All I did was re-read the comments here and i realized I was over-complicating the matter. The guys tried to tell me it's simple lol

So this hub seems to work with a thru axle and maybe that's why it came off, I could be wrong. But yeah it's seems weird that it was sold to me like that.

Now - I rotated the hub left and right, while holding the riveted side and it spins freely in both directions. Someone above mentioned that it should engage when you spin it forward.

Let me rephrase - how can I test the freehub buddy in the pictures above, to make sure it functions as designed?

mtbr member
    I was actually being sarcastic. All I did was re-read the comments here and i realized I was over-complicating the matter. The guys tried to tell me it's simple lol

So this hub seems to work with a thru axle and maybe that's why it came off, I could be wrong. But yeah it's seems weird that it was sold to me like that.

Now - I rotated the hub left and right, while holding the riveted side and it spins freely in both directions. Someone above mentioned that it should engage when you spin it forward.

Let me rephrase - how can I test the hub to make sure it functions as designed?
    You can't.

You don't have the entire hub.

You only have half of it.

You have the cassette off, just put it on another hub. When the person pulled the cassette off it came off with half the hub. To test it, you'll either need the other half, or get a hub for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC-5-dOvfYA&t=58s

Watch the first minute or so of this video....5 times!....and you'll see the two halves.

Memorize it. There will be a test!

The part he pulls off at time :21 is the part that was in your cassette. The other part is still on the wheel, somewhere. Until and unless you get those other parts, the hub is unuseable.

I can't wait until you start putting that cassette on another hub! Going out for popcorn!

npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I can't wait until you start putting that cassette on another hub! Going out for popcorn!
    lol, it's going on FH-M760

mtbr member
    I believe was the shifters that came with were in an amazon envelope with the guy's name and address... not that they were bought from amazon, but something he put them in, so I doubt the stuff was stolen.
    So you *think* you purchased the cassette on amazon?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    So you *think* you purchased the cassette on amazon?
    "...not that they were bought from amazon, but something he put them in..."
    So, no.

mtbr member
    "...not that they were bought from amazon, but something he put them in..."
    So, no.
    My bad - I missed the part that he got it from a swap meet with a bunch of other components for a good price.

To the OP - please go out and do some trail maintenance for good karma (just in case). Even though you could probably not get the stuff back to its potential owner, a bunch of bike components, improperly disassembled, at a swap meet for a good price is leaning towards stolen goods.

npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    ok, I appreciate it. He asked me if I'm installing stuff myself and he said that he's got a mechanic that does that for him. More to the point I guess

trail maintenance is a great idea!

since 4/10/2009
    something very fishy about this. That freehub body would cost nearly $70 msrp to replace.

Nobody is going to just give that away knowingly. It seriously does just pull off of the rest of the hub, so it's either stolen, or the seller is even more clueless about bike parts than the OP (and is really upset about the loss of an expensive freehub body right about now).

npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    He said he upgraded to SRAM... hence the title of my thread

since 4/10/2009
    He said he upgraded to SRAM... hence the title of my thread
    I guess he would have bought an xd driver to go with that, but still weird to just throw the old driver in with a bunch of other parts. The odds that the driver would fit on some random person's hub are extremely slim. That's the sort of part it's better to just throw into a parts bin and keep just in case, or sell on its own online to get the necessary audience.

so now you have to try to sell the damn thing, and you have no idea how many miles are on the bearings in it, for example.

mtbr member
    Hey npn, do you still have all these Craigslist buys you've posted and asked questions about? What are you doing with this stuff, riding it or what?

npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Some I have bought some passed. I've tried to update my progress here. The last one I believe was the questionable zaskar... I ended up buying that one and stripped it apart. The frame will soon, I hope so, be polished and I'll rebuild it myself. This set of parts could go on it. Otherwise, yeah I have already quite the collection of parts and a couple of older high end complete bikes.

mtbr member
    Some I have bought some passed. I've tried to update my progress here. The last one I believe was the questionable zaskar... I ended up buying that one and stripped it apart. The frame will soon, I hope so, be polished and I'll rebuild it myself. This set of parts could go on it. Otherwise, yeah I have already quite the collection of parts and a couple of older high end complete bikes.

Cool, thanks for responding.
    Nothing wrong with tinkering.