mtbr member
    Jun 2004

X-Fusion Sweep RL2 or Magura TS8 Fork?

I'm a 200 lb rider, and my 150mm long travel trail bike is about to graduate to bigger things. Nothing huge, as I live in the Midwest, but more jumps and drops. The Magura is installed now and has performed excellentl, but I am thinking the Sweep's larger ( 34mm ) stanchions may be better suited for that riding style. I purchased both forks separately at amazing prices ( the total cost of both was 275.00 shipped ) so for once, money isn't much of an issue. What do you think?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Any chance you would share your fork source? I am running a sweep now and I love it!

mtbr member
    I liked my sweep. It IS a stiff fork! Im on a mattoc now, and I think the sweep was stiffer.

However, the sweep is a high offset fork, at 46mm. This isn't necessarily a good or bad thing, just something to keep in mind. I thought it was a little twitchy. It works out well if you're planning on extending the travel more than what your bike came with stock.

Also the sweep damper is tuned insanely. The damper itself is high quality, but XF tuned that thing for a 500lb rhino. Its extremely harshly damped and it spikes significantly. It is a very high quality damper though, so you can open it up yourself and tune the shim stack to something more reasonable. I would consider retuning mandatory if you plan on riding anything besides smooth flow trails.

The sweep RL is a fun tuner fork. In the end, my manitou fanboyism won out and I moved on, but I still keep it as a backup. Just be aware that it needs tuning straight out of the box to get rid of the hand destroying harshness.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I liked my sweep. It IS a stiff fork! Im on a mattoc now, and I think the sweep was stiffer.

However, the sweep is a high offset fork, at 46mm. This isn't necessarily a good or bad thing, just something to keep in mind. I thought it was a little twitchy. It works out well if you're planning on extending the travel more than what your bike came with stock.

Also the sweep damper is tuned insanely. The damper itself is high quality, but XF tuned that thing for a 500lb rhino. Its extremely harshly damped and it spikes significantly. It is a very high quality damper though, so you can open it up yourself and tune the shim stack to something more reasonable. I would consider retuning mandatory if you plan on riding anything besides smooth flow trails.

The sweep RL is a fun tuner fork. In the end, my manitou fanboyism won out and I moved on, but I still keep it as a backup. Just be aware that it needs tuning straight out of the box to get rid of the hand destroying harshness.
    I'm interested to hear more about your impressions. I bought a sweep with a custom tuned roughcut damper a while ago. I don't expect the damper to be tuned too aggressively for me- the rider it was set up for is much better than i, but i'm 40lbs heavier. I've had a couple forks that basically locked up when i was on the brakes, so your saying the sweep is stiff is promising.

I've used a sweep rl many years before, and thought it was 'meh, fine,' but i wasn't invested in its performance.

I appreciate anything you have to say; i haven't mounted it up yet. It's going on my '15 transition suppressor, a 26" bike that should have been 650b all along.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Luckily, the roughcut is dramatically different. They kinda owned up to the problem with the RL2 unit, the roughcut is a good step above it. Its similar to a pike or mattoc now. I bet you'll be pretty impressed with it.

I think the sweep is the perfect fork for a 130 or 140mm bike that you now want to run at 160mm. The higher offset is different. If you're trying to run a native 130mm bike with a sweep lowered to 120mm, you'd probably not like how twitchy it is.

I really never noticed what the offset felt like until I changed to a fork with a lower one.

Land of the 230+
    I have two sweeps, a RL2 and a RoughCut. They are both fine forks. Obviously the RC is the better of the two, but the remote lockout on the RL2 lends itself nicely to the singlespeed it was on. My primary bike has since transitioned to manitou, and I'm not looking back. Still, the magura would have to be an awful nice fork for the money to keep up with the sweep, especially if you upgrade the damper.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    ^^^ this guy knows his stuff, he better because he always leads me down the craziest, choppiest, lines on the trail

jrm
    mtbr member

Had a SL2

on a turner flux. The larger diameter stanchions made a noticeable difference. X fusions also pretty good about upgrading the dampers..

mtbr member
    I had a Sweep RL2 on a steel hardtail and then a Kona Process. Excellent performance for the money. I actually liked it more than the Pike RC I'm currently running. That said, I have also been on a Sweep with the Rough Cut damper, and I would echo the recommendations to upgrade. I think it's a couple hundred bucks, if memory serves, but very much worth it.

I also want to note that I did have issues with air leaking on the RL2. Air would escape and find it's way into the lower legs. This changed the feel of the fork and eventually built up enough pressure to pop the dust seal. X-fusion was good about a warranty and after a rebuild, I didn't experience the problem again.
    The cake is a lie.

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by Libikerdad View Post
    ^^^ this guy knows his stuff, he better because he always leads me down the craziest, choppiest, lines on the trail
    Ha ha! Yeah, thanks, but that's not saying much! The craziest, choppiest lines we have can probably be ridden on a road bike without much discomfort.