Worth the upgrade? Raleigh M80- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Worth the upgrade? Raleigh M80

I have a 2005 Raleigh M80 disc. I know this is a cheap bike and there are many bikes out there that are far superior to mine. I really don't have much experience with bike shopping and riding different bikes. I just discovered this site about a month ago, so I don't know much. I have been looking to upgrade (preferably to full suspension), but I noticed that I would have to spend an a$$load of money to get any decent bike. So I am wondering if my current frame would be worth upgrading the components on or if is just crap compared to most other bikes (keep in mind I haven't ridden any other "real" bikes). I am willing to spend some pretty decent money on parts now. I figure if I keep upgrading this one I can buy a nice frame some day and transfer all the parts.

I figured this would be the best forum to post in for my riding style. I like the technical stuff, especially rocks, but I still need to climb. This bike has held up for me well since it is my first. I have beaten the hell out of it and it still keeps going, aside from common problems like crappy derailleurs.

So, what do you think? I don't know anything about head angles and all that jazz but my biggest concern would be how the bike would handle with a new fork because the Judy TT isn't really doing it for me. I only want to spend between $700 and $900 right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I"d no way spend $900 on a M80. Sell it, and along with the $900, build a nice hardtail.
    pUt Da LiMe In Da CoKe YoU nUt

mtbr member
    I have a Raleigh M80 just like yours. I did upgrade mine, and a new fork was the best thing i got for it. I also changed the bar, stem, wheels...not really needed but i had some extra cash. The bike definitly performed better, but i eventually outgrew a hardtail and saved up for a FS bike. Now that i have the FS i hardly ever ride my raleigh. Sure its worth it to upgrade but i enjoy my FS way more than my Raleigh.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

M80 Upgrade

I have a 2003 M80 fully upgraded as my street bike which I ride XC once in a blue moon. It's a great bike though. I ride it to work every day in NYC all year round and lock it up all day outside. I have a suspension seat post that works well in the bumps and a White Brothers fork that rules. XT disc Rhyno lite wheelset, X-type crankset, and so on.

The first thing you have to decide is if you want a FS bike? If so, then there's no use upgrading your M80 unless you want to keep it as a back up/street bike/spare bike for friends to ride etc...

CR

Freshly Fujified

I'd upgrade it

Nothing at all wrong with your bike, so I guess the first question would be "What don't you like about it?". Answer that and you have a place to start on upgrades. Having looked at the specs, it's not a "cheapo bike". It's not bad at all, frankly. If I had to make upgrades on it personally, here's what I'd do:

New fork-Stick with 80-85 mm travel, perhaps 100mm if the A/C height on the fork doesn't make the front to talk. A decent fork is going to run $300-$500 (New, leftover '06)

LX front derailleur-Deore is OK, I'd spend $20.00 on an LX.

Avid discs-Buy a pair of BB 7s for about $150. Nice upgrade to the Hayes without spending $300 on hydros.

If you're smart about your buying you can do this for $500 or less. I wouldn't put much more into it, but this would make a very nice ride. If you do have the $900 to spend, and intend to spend it, then I would agree with the poster that said sell the M80 and put what you get from that sale towards another bike. $1200 gets one hell of a hardtail. Here's an example:

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-PRO-Details.html

Best wishes in deciding what's right.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by epetes
    I have a 2005 Raleigh M80 disc. I know this is a cheap bike and there are many bikes out there that are far superior to mine.
    Remember, the best bike is the one you ride....If your M80 is doing what you ask of it & you enjoy riding it, don't compare it to what everyone else has.

Now with that said, there is a point where upgrading is not cost-effective & you really have to determine that. Figure out what you don't like about your bike. You mentioned the fork & derailleurs...find out what it would cost to replace them. Is the bike too heavy? Maybe a wheelset change is needed, again figure out that cost.

If you find it's going to cost more to upgrade the bike to your liking than to sell it, maybe you should consider saving a couple hundred more & get a full suspension.

If I were in your shoes, I'd keep the M80 (maybe convert it to singlespeed when you get a new bike), save a couple hundred more, go test ride as many bikes as you can & get some good help from local shops.

conjoinicorned
    go with a 100mm or larger fork, or even better a fork with travel adjust (with ETA you could go up to 130mm and down to 80mm), this stuff about the geometry changing too much is overhyped. it will change the handling, but not always in a bad way. 80mm is not even close to enough for "all mountain" riding.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Freshly Fujified

Interesting comments

Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    go with a 100mm or larger fork, or even better a fork with travel adjust (with ETA you could go up to 130mm and down to 80mm), this stuff about the geometry changing too much is overhyped. it will change the handling, but not always in a bad way. 80mm is not even close to enough for "all mountain" riding.
    So your front wheel washing out in a tight turn isn't necessarily a bad thing? 130mm on a frame designed for 80mm is just not a good idea. I would agree that 80mm isn't enough if he wants to do aggressive riding, but 130mm is probably too much. I could be way off base here, but buying the wrong travel fork can be an expensive mistake. He'd be better off selling this bike and buying another that's made for a 5" travel fork. If I'm wrong and the geometry isn't really effected, here's a nice option for $300.

http://bobs-bicycles.com/itemdetails...ogId=39&id=587
    Last edited by Call_me_Clyde; 09-22-2006 at 10:15 AM.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for all the information. I think I will probably upgrade it. It is a little heavy but that is allright. I don't want to sell it. I want to keep it once I do get a new bike so that other people can ride it or I can ride it around town and not have to worry about my primary bike getting ripped off. I don't have the money right now to spend on the bike I really want. I would rather not spend $900 if I didn't have to, but I would have to spend at least $500 to remedy the shock and derailluers. Mainly it's just the shock and the front derailleur. I don't really like the back derailleur either but it gets the job done (most of the time). I would definetely want to get more travel from the shock, that is my main issue with it. It's not a bad shock but I ask too much from it. I think it would be pretty easy to shed some weight from the bike too.

conjoinicorned
    i put a 130mm fork on my RM element (made for 80mm), there was no washing on corners and it climbed just fine, in fact i prefer the new handling. 130mm may be too much for climbing, but with adjustable travel forks nowadays you could drop it.

it's technique, not equipment (within reason of course!).

edit:
    but buying the wrong travel fork can be an expensive mistake
    this is a good point. i have so many bikes that i cannot make this mistake, i forget that sometimes. thanks!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have basically the same bike (Mohave 8.0 - 1 year newer) and was contemplating upgrading as well. I have been looking at the same upgrades Call_me_Clyde suggested, The Avid BB7 mech brakes and possibly a newer fork. The stock Hayes MX-2 brakes work okay when they are adjusted right, however it seems like they need to be adjusted every ride. Brakes that clamp from one side are just cheesy as hell. I am leaning towards Marzocchi for the fork. The problem with the fork is you do not really want to go over 100mm for travel with this frame which means you will not be able to swap the fork over to a long travel full suspension bike. Something to keep in mind.
    Have you done any maintenance on the fork you have on the bike? Changing the fork oil can make a big improvement if the oil is contaminated. Also you can adjust damping by moving to a lighter or heavier weight fork oil. Stock is usually 5w, if you move up to 10w you get more damping and less boing. You can also increase the fork oil level to increase bottoming resistance or lower the level to make the suspension more compliant. Also make sure to set sag at about 20% of travel.
    Like you I also want to go full suspension. My background is riding dirt motorcycles so the hardtail just does not fit my style. The only upgrade I have done is Time pedals which I can swap over to any other bike.

mtbr member
    Resurrecting an ancient thread, but it is worth doing so.

I've chosen to upgrade and modernize my M80 instead of buying new. While the bike is "out modded", there are plenty of upgrade parts that are still compatible. I've upgraded the front fork with a modern, single air Manitou 100mm shock- 1 1/8" straight steer. The drive-train swapped out for a 1x12 SRAM NX, a brand new take off someone was selling on pinkbike. Each for a couple hundred bucks. The brakes have great modulation and are more reliable in cold weather than hydraulic- pads are easily sourced. Other things, like the stem, bars, and seat are things most people personalize, even on a new bike. Even so, I've found lighter and modern spec components relatively cheap compared to those available for brand new bikes. If you want to customize and personalize, the M80 is a great and affordable platform.
    I race XC with a 2005 Raleigh M80. Yes, I really do.

mtbr member
    I just came across an M80 for sale locally for $100. I don't know what kind of shape it's in , but might be worth a look. I'm 6-foot, so I don't know if the bike would be too small. It has the original Judy Fork on it. I would probably turn the bike into a rigid single speed to beat on. Any thoughts?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I just picked up two M80'S for $160. I'm thinking of doing the same to one of them, single speed or 1x7 and rigid...or selling it for the $160 I paid. The second hand market where I am is crazy. The other one I replaced stuff with things I have in my parts bin for my brother so he can ride with my sons and I. Not a bad bike but need to take it out and see how it runs first...

Members who have read this thread: 35