Where all the GT's at?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Where all the GT's at?

2020 Sensor Elite.

mtbr member
    Looks awesome. My broken GT iDrive frame from 2001 is hanging on the wall in my basement (along with a few other 'aluminum artifacts'.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    I'm surprised they finally moved away from idrive. Not that thats a bad thing, i bet the new frames are dramatically lighter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I like that frame. No more weirdness, just a nice 4-bar w/ Horst Link.
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The new one GTs do look nice.

I have nothing good to say about my old (broken) 2015 GT Sensor Elite. I literally broke everything except the fork. Bent those cheap rims early and built my own. The derailleur hanger snapped under normal use every 300-500 miles just from riding around. It couldn't deal with the stress of a clutched derailleur on rocky descents. Brakes were not up to the task on long downhills. The Fox CTD literally exploded and shot oil all over me. I had to replace the lower bearings in the path-link 4 times because they used to small of a bearing and it couldn't handle the loads put on them. Finally the drive side chain stay cracked and almost broke all the way through. I presume the cracked chain stay was due to the rear end flexing so much because they went cheap and kept the rear wheel as 9mm QR instead of a thru-axle. Only 2,300 miles were put on the bike. At 150lbs I'm not a heavy rider.

I did ride it like a downhill bike though and went to the downhill park a few times with it. I did set 8 downhill KOMs on Strava with it.

I really hope the new GTs are built better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I know its probably irrational, but I still hold a grudge against GT.
    After spending what was a huge amount of money to me in 2000 for an all xtr Zaskar, the
    frame broke a few years later and I found out the lifetime warranty was no good.

Rollin 29s

Where all the GT's at?

My Dad bought me a 1998 LTS 1000DS from a shop in Missoula MT for graduation. They were blowing out the 98 models as the 99s were coming in.

It was like nothing I had ever experienced. I fell in love and never fell out of it with this bike. Way ahead of its time. It made me a much better rider, and I credit this bike with fueling my mountain biking addiction continuing today.

The rear suspension design was cutting edge at the time. It was like riding a plush but controlled couch down the mountain.

Known for bushings (not bearings) that would eventually squeak, I added grease fittings. The 98 XTR level model came with Rockshox mechanical disc brakes up front, which were worse than V-brakes. By the second year I owned it, it was dialed in with Shimano hydraulic discs, and other improvements.

I also learned that when GT sold out to Pacific Cycles in 2001, the lifetime warranty was null and void. My seat tube cracked at the integrated clamp, and Pacific offered 20% discount on an I-drive. I took my bike to a welding shop and had it repaired instead.

GT was once a top contender in the mountain biking world. I credit Pacific Cycles, a department store bike manufacturer for GTs decline. This was unfortunately the plan Pacific had all along - to ride on GTs reputation to appeal to the mass market Schwinn crowd, while reducing quality and innovation and cost.

Its nice to see that GT is making nice looking bikes again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

Ride what you like!
    Here's one. Anybody able to help a potential buyer identify a 94 Zaskar?
    https://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain...p-1134235.html
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SergMTB View Post
    2020 Sensor Elite.
    Nice loooking!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by downcountry View Post
    I know its probably irrational, but I still hold a grudge against GT.
    After spending what was a huge amount of money to me in 2000 for an all xtr Zaskar, the
    frame broke a few years later and I found out the lifetime warranty was no good.
    That's exactly what happened to me after I broke my iDrive frame after 2.5 years. Found out GT had been bought out by somebody else and the lifetime frame warranty was void 12 months after the buyout. Not just bikes...in today's world companies come and go pretty fast, they can get bought out, go bankrupt, etc and your warranty vaporizes.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by taprackbang View Post
    Nice loooking!
    Cheers!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

g=9.764m/s2
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    That's exactly what happened to me after I broke my iDrive frame after 2.5 years. Found out GT had been bought out by somebody else and the lifetime frame warranty was void 12 months after the buyout. Not just bikes...in today's world companies come and go pretty fast, they can get bought out, go bankrupt, etc and your warranty vaporizes.
    I lucked out then...when my 2015 Zaskar AL chainstay broke after 2yrs, GT honored it but they stopped selling Zaskar in the US so could not get me a frame...instead they gave me a check for the price I paid for the bike.

Ride what you like!
    The difference is 2001. A new MEGACORP bought GT, all frames made by the original GT were no longer covered. Thus, if you bought a 2000 GT, your "lifetime" warrantee lasted about a year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    2020 Sensor Elite.
    Your GT does looks awesome. Usually not a fan of yellow but that looks pretty sweet.

Sorry do drop so much negativity on your thread. GTs have been crap for a while now and I think they drove away most of the people who followed them. Including me. I really hope they got their act together.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    Your GT does looks awesome. Usually not a fan of yellow but that looks pretty sweet.

Sorry do drop so much negativity on your thread. GTs have been crap for a while now and I think they drove away most of the people who followed them. Including me. I really hope they got their act together.
    No worries. GT wasn't and still isn't as popular over here as it is in the USA so I don't have as much of a personal connection to the history. I can imagine the frustration though!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

mbtr member
    GT wasn't and still isn't as popular over here as it is in the USA so I don't have as much of a personal connection to the history.
    GT mtbs are extremely rare in the usa.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Ride what you like!
    They broke pretty big in the mid ninties. Around my area, if you weren't on a GT, you were on Spesh. Then the 2001 takeover, and things fell off for a while, they became more of a middle ground bike sold in sporting goods stores. Better than department store bikes, less than bike shop bikes. Looks they're making a serious effort again, that yellow Sensor looks pretty sharp.