Which wheelset should I get?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Which wheelset should I get?

I can get a new takeoff set of dt swiss 350 to arc 30's or a brand new hand-built set of bitex hubs laced to stan's flow mk3? Both are the same price.

If i get the new handbuilt set the hubs have a lifetime warranty and 5 years on the rims. For those that don't know bitex they're about as light as the dt's and have 54 POE.

The dt's have the 36t upgrade. I also like noise from my hubs and to my understanding dt's are silent?

mbtr member
    Huge amount of personal bias here. I'm 225lbs, pretty hard on wheels, and I've been building wheels so long it's tough to remember otherwise..

mk3s are decent disposable rims, bitex are decent disposable hubs. They're both super great if you're easy on hubs and rims, and a waste of time otherwise. They'll hold up great until you really whack or overload them.

ARC30s are good sturdy rims (depending on variant), and dt350s are the nexus of cheap and indestructible. The 36poe is a great compromise. They're not obnoxious, but unfortunately not silent.

For me, the 2nd option is hilariously better than the first. For a 160lb intermediate rider who can't maintain wheels, i see the decision being much more difficult.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Huge amount of personal bias here. I'm 225lbs, pretty hard on wheels, and I've been building wheels so long it's tough to remember otherwise..

mk3s are decent disposable rims, bitex are decent disposable hubs. They're both super great if you're easy on hubs and rims, and a waste of time otherwise. They'll hold up great until you really whack or overload them.

ARC30s are good sturdy rims (depending on variant), and dt350s are the nexus of cheap and indestructible. The 36poe is a great compromise. They're not obnoxious, but unfortunately not silent.

For me, the 2nd option is hilariously better than the first. For a 160lb intermediate rider who can't maintain wheels, i see the decision being much more difficult.
    Thanks for the insight. Ya I know DT is known to be indestructible but I went the other way since I will have a lifetime warranty on the hubs and 5 years on the rims. I am not too aggressive of a rider, though I am 200lb+. The DT's were also 28H vs the other 32H.

Reading many forums and comment boards it seems Bitex has a great rep. I am actually more nervous about the rim than the hub lol. But worse comes to worse I'll warranty it.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumphumper92 View Post
    Thanks for the insight. Ya I know DT is known to be indestructible but I went the other way since I will have a lifetime warranty on the hubs and 5 years on the rims. I am not too aggressive of a rider, though I am 200lb+. The DT's were also 28H vs the other 32H.

Reading many forums and comment boards it seems Bitex has a great rep. I am actually more nervous about the rim than the hub lol. But worse comes to worse I'll warranty it.
    Makes sense to me! 5 year warranty is pretty sweet. Enjoy the wheels!
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Sounds like a good choice. Post a short review about it next time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If your willing could you pass the Arc30 deal to me?