Wheel advice.. AM and 26 inch wheels running 2.4 inch tyres...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Wheel advice.. AM and 26 inch wheels running 2.4 inch tyres...

I know this will have cropped up before but Summer will be here and my Christmas/Birthday present from my wife is going to be some wheels or rims.. Currently the bike is running Mavic XM117's which are too narrow for the 2.4 inch tyres. But on a plus note they have never had a puncture and still run straight and true.

So the reason I want to go to 2.4 inch wide is partly comfort and taking the sting out of my HT. The bike runs a 140mm travel Fox Float 32 fork and is the most fun bike I have ever had. I just want to get the most out of the tyres without adding too much weight. The hubs are Shimano Deore so not the best but still I have not had a problem with them either so I could keep the wheels as spares or simply swap the rims.

I am open to almost any ideas..

Life Is Short
    Prob won't like this answer, but more comfort on a hard tail is to only go 29er. Not a big HT fan had them on 26er's before, but on a 29er its a big difference. You're trying to add comfort by adding 2.4 tires but thats the equiv of those skinny 'pillows' they give you on an airplane.

The taller wheels absorb hits and terrain very well. It will be so pleasant she'd go riding with you all the time. I have a 29er RIGID and the tires and frame/fork take all the brunt, I thought it was going to be very harsh but its not bad. My 29er f/s feels even better I could ride it all day. Good luck.
    Cheap people buy things twice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Prob won't like this answer, but more comfort on a hard tail is to only go 29er. Not a big HT fan had them on 26er's before, but on a 29er its a big difference. You're trying to add comfort by adding 2.4 tires but thats the equiv of those skinny 'pillows' they give you on an airplane.

The taller wheels absorb hits and terrain very well. It will be so pleasant she'd go riding with you all the time. I have a 29er RIGID and the tires and frame/fork take all the brunt, I thought it was going to be very harsh but its not bad. My 29er f/s feels even better I could ride it all day. Good luck.
    Someone needs to make a 29er version of this: A Day in the Life of an Internet Car Forum

Edit: OP, something like a Spank Oozy Trail 295 would be a good rim choice, looks like it is a little lighter than what you are already running. Between the rims, nipples, and spokes it may end up being more economical to buy a prebuilt wheelset, but I guess that depends on how picky you are.
    I run 2.3" tyres on my 26" HT (Maxxis Minion EXO DHF/DHRII), and I find that if you run something with a decently supportive sidewall you can drop the pressure without getting overly squirmy.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Not keen on 29'rs as they feel slow to steer compared to the 26 or even a 27.5. But I got the Orange Crush because its partly what I wanted anyway and the ergo's suit my and the injury I have to carry so the bike is quite tall at the front and the 140mm fork takes the pain out of the snapped AC ligament in my shoulder. My wife has a 27.5 which is Ok but its not suited to some of the trails I ride and the small increase in tyre volume from the 2,1's up to 2.4's has made a difference the back kicks a little less it digs into rocks a little more on climbs too. So when I talk about comfort I am looking for a F/S armchair ride. Its just being more comfortable with the bike and taking some of the harshness out over rough terrain and making the tyre work. Slightly lower pressure lets it deform a little over sharper edges, grip on stones and slate trails. On rock gardens it tracks better too., just a little more compliance is all it took from having a bike I liked to one I love..

So a rim more suited to the 2.4 inch rubber to let me ride a little harder and not have the tyre moving round on the sidewalls so much and less risk of pinching over jumps and off drop in's. Is what I am looking for...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    Someone needs to make a 29er version of this: A Day in the Life of an Internet Car Forum

Edit: OP, something like a Spank Oozy Trail 295 would be a good rim choice, looks like it is a little lighter than what you are already running. Between the rims, nipples, and spokes it may end up being more economical to buy a prebuilt wheelset, but I guess that depends on how picky you are.
    I run 2.3" tyres on my 26" HT (Maxxis Minion EXO DHF/DHRII), and I find that if you run something with a decently supportive sidewall you can drop the pressure without getting overly squirmy.
    Haha....Cool....

As I said new wheels is not a problem. The Bike is now almost my ideal bike. As I said in my last post the bike is now pretty much set up to work round the injury I have (been told to NOT have the surgery as it will make me lose some mobility in the joint and has a high failure rate so I am avoiding the Op for now). The Conti's dont have the stiffest sidewalls but the added volume and compliance does just let them dig into the trail more than the narrower tyres did.

So for now not swapping bikes just to run larger wheels is the cheaper option especially as the bike now fits like a glove and all day rides are now not the complete pain in the... shoulder, that they once were.

The Spank Oozy Trail's look like good rims and are a decent option.I had also looked at the WTB KOM i-25 TCS. Which are almost the same width and price to be honest. Then the Sun Ringle Inferno 31 which it a similar width too but cheaper and about 100gr heavier than all of them including the ones on my bike at the moment. So thanks for the recommendation of the Spank's they are worth looking into a little more.

Your bike sucks
    I built up a Sun Inferno 31 as a DJ wheel and it's a solid offering..
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

Rent this space for $
    Here's your answer.

Light Bicycle 38/32mm DH carbon hoops 26"
    Hope Pro 2 Evo Hubs
    DT Swiss Competion Double Butted Spokes.

The tires are 2.35's front and back. Awesome, VERY confidence inspiring profile, and the rigidity of the wheel build is just bad-ass.

26'r LIVES MATTER!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wheel advice.. AM and 26 inch wheels running 2.4 inch tyres...-2015-09-16_20.36.37%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by Oh My Sack!; 02-29-2016 at 09:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morepower View Post
    Haha....Cool....

As I said new wheels is not a problem. The Bike is now almost my ideal bike. As I said in my last post the bike is now pretty much set up to work round the injury I have (been told to NOT have the surgery as it will make me lose some mobility in the joint and has a high failure rate so I am avoiding the Op for now). The Conti's dont have the stiffest sidewalls but the added volume and compliance does just let them dig into the trail more than the narrower tyres did.

So for now not swapping bikes just to run larger wheels is the cheaper option especially as the bike now fits like a glove and all day rides are now not the complete pain in the... shoulder, that they once were.

The Spank Oozy Trail's look like good rims and are a decent option.I had also looked at the WTB KOM i-25 TCS. Which are almost the same width and price to be honest. Then the Sun Ringle Inferno 31 which it a similar width too but cheaper and about 100gr heavier than all of them including the ones on my bike at the moment. So thanks for the recommendation of the Spank's they are worth looking into a little more.
    If you're OK going a little heavier there is the also the WTB Frequency i25 (500 g, what I run), DT EX 471 (475 g), Pacenti DL31 (522 g), and Stans Flow EX (490 g). All 25-26 mm internal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Here's your answer.

Hope Pro 3 Evo Hubs

The tires are 2.35's front and back. Awesome, VERY confidence inspiring profile, and the rigidity of the wheel build is just bad-ass.

26'r LIVES MATTER!!!
    Mostly agree on this

Except Not sure he needs a DH layup rim as he isnt destroying his current alloy wheelset. But the LB 26" rims, in a wide variety would be awesome

Hope pro 3 - I thought those were a road hub no? Go for the new pro 4

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Mostly agree on this

Chubby fingers. Corrected. I built in September before Pro4 was introduced but I wouldn't think twice about going that direction unless you get the Pro2 Evo for a smokin' closeout deal and keep the build cost down even more. They're excellent hubs.

I went DH because weight was insignificant compared to the DT Swiss' I replaced. Not to mention they're carbon. I'm not bothered by that extra strength margin for the sharp, rocky chunk here on my trails.

mbtr member
    Prob won't like this answer, but more comfort on a hard tail is to only go 29er.
    Go back to 'xc racing and training,' this is the All Mountain forum.

The 26" market is pretty volatile right now, so it can be more useful to go looking for deals and then figure out afterwards if they suit your needs. You have a QR fork and that's gonna affect what wheels you can run too. If you're gonna spend more than, say, 250$ on the wheelset i'd prefer to get something with hubs that can be converted to through axles. Deore hubs are very cheap and i bet you can find a deore hub wheelset for less than the cost of new rims/spokes for your existing hubs.

Are you set up tubeless? Are you interested? This is the time to do it.

You also have a fork that's probably 4-5 years old. Those forks don't have much oil in the lowers, so if you haven't had the bath oil serviced in the last year that should be top of the list. Fresh damper oil is a good idea too. Anyone with a diy attitude can learn how to change the bath oil. Fluffy tires can't replace a poor functioning fork.

Personally, i'd take smaller tires with sturdy casings over high volume ones, but that is a minority opinion. I'd also prefer to avoid low spoke counts, straight pull spokes, and be wary of hubs if you're larger.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Go back to 'xc racing and training,' this is the All Mountain forum
    yea man

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Here's your answer.

Hope Pro 2 Evo Hubs

26'r LIVES MATTER!!!
    I had not looked at the Light bike carbon rims in much depth. Cost is usually the big thing with anything carbon but they dont seem to take the p155 on prices for rims or wheels. Sweet bike by the way..

Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    If you're OK going a little heavier there is the also the WTB Frequency i25 (500 g, what I run), DT EX 471 (475 g), Pacenti DL31 (522 g), and Stans Flow EX (490 g). All 25-26 mm internal.
    Weight is not a big issue to be honest being a HT it is quite light compared to a F/S anyway. So there are some nice rims there too.. I think 25mm ish is the ideal size and this has given me a few more to look at, especially as you run one of them and its recommendations for ones people are using and know work that is good about posts like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Mostly agree on this

Except Not sure he needs a DH layup rim as he isnt destroying his current alloy wheelset. But the LB 26" rims, in a wide variety would be awesome

DH or All Mountain I am not fussed. I may not destroy rims (not sure how I have got away with this as some of my riding mates seem to kill wheels) But strength is good and if it works then why not... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Go back to 'xc racing and training,' this is the All Mountain forum.

The 26" market is pretty volatile right now, so it can be more useful to go looking for deals and then figure out afterwards if they suit your needs. You have a QR fork and that's gonna affect what wheels you can run too. If you're gonna spend more than, say, 250$ on the wheelset i'd prefer to get something with hubs that can be converted to through axles. Deore hubs are very cheap and i bet you can find a deore hub wheelset for less than the cost of new rims/spokes for your existing hubs.

Are you set up tubeless? Are you interested? This is the time to do it.

You also have a fork that's probably 4-5 years old. Those forks don't have much oil in the lowers, so if you haven't had the bath oil serviced in the last year that should be top of the list. Fresh damper oil is a good idea too. Anyone with a diy attitude can learn how to change the bath oil. Fluffy tires can't replace a poor functioning fork.

Personally, i'd take smaller tires with sturdy casings over high volume ones, but that is a minority opinion. I'd also prefer to avoid low spoke counts, straight pull spokes, and be wary of hubs if you're larger.
    Great advice and I was thinking about the hubs and possible future compatibility if I swap forks or get another bike. Adapting down to QR is not a problem so it would let me run through axle hubs with adaptors now and then through axles in the future.

The forks are fresh and although not new work well and will see me through another season before I look at anything else.

I tried to the larger tyres because one of the routes I get to ride quite often has a lot of stones in the trail as well as the area being sandstone and can get quite rough in places the larger volume just takes away the sting from the harsh edges and on the downhill sections stops the bike from kicking quite so hard off the edges. It also lets the tyre find grip on the sand and sandstone too. I was not worried about sticking with the narrower tyres until I tried the 2.4's and now a convert. Yes it drags a little more on the smoother sections or road sections but the benefits where I usually get to ride make up for it.

I agree with one of the quotes and who does not love a bit of carbon fibre.. lol.. You would think my bike would be covered in the stuff as I work with carbon every day... lol..

Cheers guys and thank you for the advice..

The guy who said to get a 29er. I have no issue with the wheel size for those who like it. It is volatile at the moment and at least where I ride the 29er is more common in the cheaper trail bike with either new riders or older couples who just want a bike to ride on a pleasant sunday ride as a couple or as a family with kids. The red routes are still full of 26 and 27.5 inch bikes. I think the future is more 27.5 inch based for me at least if I do get another bike. I may not be a kid but I still love to ride as hard as I can and the ex Motorcycle racer in me comes out at times.

The routes my be more suited to a full sus bike but then if I am not killing rims and enjoy the finesse of a good AM hard tail its all about the smiles at the end of a section or ride. I am not out to set records or go racing its all about the fun and enjoyment.

meow meow
    i second the reccomenndtaion for i25s laced to whatever hubs fit your budget with double butted spokes and brass nipples. or really any rim around those dimensions from a major brand, they are all pretty good these days.

Your bike sucks
    I'd love to have those LB rims on my Canfield. I'd do a proper build with good hubs tho.

I think the OP is getting good advice for rims/wheels (both proprietary & to be built) - but it's going to come down to need/wants and budget.

We know you want to run wider tires and you don't overly care about weight. How much $$ do you have to spend? What's your weight? Sort of have a feel for your riding style.

I've been able to run both Mavic x821 and Easton Carbon Havens with good success on tires up to 'claimed' 2.5 though I'd consider wider these days..

As mentioned, there are some good 26 deals - those Panceti we're recently like 50% off.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    I'd love to have those LB rims on my Canfield. I'd do a proper build with good hubs tho.

I think the OP is getting good advice for rims/wheels (both proprietary & to be built) - but it's going to come down to need/wants and budget.

We know you want to run wider tires and you don't overly care about weight. How much $$ do you have to spend? What's your weight? Sort of have a feel for your riding style.

I've been able to run both Mavic x821 and Easton Carbon Havens with good success on tires up to 'claimed' 2.5 though I'd consider wider these days..

As mentioned, there are some good 26 deals - those Panceti we're recently like 50% off.
    Cool. Thanks for the advice. The Pacenti rims may be good but with shipping to the UK it would not be as much of a bargain and the exchange rate falling through the floor here doesnt help either.

Budget is not an issue as i said it is a combined Christmas/Birthday pressy from my wife and if it looks like getting expensive I would just make up the difference and not tell her.. (You know we all lie about how much we spend on stuff to our wives and girlfriends).

Riding is mostly trail center stuff with some more challenging rides in the Welsh mountains, Lake district or the Derbyshire Peak District here in the UK. Wales has a lot of slate hillsides which can he slippery, rough and have some technical sections and its not constructed to be like that or groomed like a trail center would be. The same with Derbyshire or the Lake district. Its mostly natural terrain or ancient paths or cart tracks.
    The last ride in wales was about 2500 feet of climb and about 14 miles long.

That is a river below me and the narrow line close to the river is the trail I had to ride up too... About 1000 feet or so below me..

This is typical of one of the more natural trails too...

Then there is the usual trail centre stuff with man made rock gardens, drops and board walks etc.

Weight? I am about 14 stone (about 195 lbs) kitted up.

So it can be varied and as many of the rides are out in the open there is no up lift and ride back down stuff for me.. I know some trail centres have the up lifts but I enjoy the ride and scenery too and the ride down is my reward for riding up it too..

mtbr member
    I am open to almost any ideas..
    For the rims take a look at Superstar, they've got a variety of mid-wide tubeless ready rims for 30-ish each. Weights are actually very close to the Mavics you have, XM117s are heavy for the width.

For the hubs and build. That's more open depending on your budget, Superstar's own hubs are distinctly OK and they also have the option for DT350 hubs which are much better if relatively pricey.

150 up to silly money for full wheelsets. Build quality is pretty good on their builds nowadays too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would recommend shopping for gently used wheels before buying anything new. There are lots of deals for 26" wheels now.

A 9mm- thru front hub would be the best option for the QR fork. 10mm thru, or bolt on would be stiffest for the rear. Get convertible hubs for their versatility.

+1 on i25 for rims. But, if you dont plan on going tubeless there are lots of good rims from available for cheaper. Sunn MTX 29 are strong , dirt cheap with a quality welded seam. DT Swiss, Spank and Mavic have many 23 -25mm inner, tubed rim options.

mtbr member
    All the 25mm rims on the market today are good or great. Almost all the hubs on the market today are good or great, even the cheap asian stuff. With hubs you still need to do a little research if you're buying something on the lower end, but theres a lot out there.

Its really more about cost. It sounds like you're in the UK, so hopes are from your side of the pond, and a great choice. Id pair up some hope hubs with whatever rim you find.

I like my bike extra tacky, so id get some green spank oozys

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Again cheers guys.. I was tempted to get some Novatec hubs and build on those. I was tempted to keep it all back as the fork legs are getting scuffed I was tempted to wrap them in pre-preg carbon to protect them and put some current FOX stickers onto them and just satin lacquer them. One layer of carbon would add about 15 grams weight but keep the forks from getting more damage. I did the same with my chain stay and over the past couple of years not a single mark has appeared..

I will have a sit down over the weekend and sort out some rims as it seems the 25mm mark is about the optimum internal width. The WTB KOM i25 looks good..If the exchange rate was better i would be tempted with some Light Bicycle 33mm wide rims . The weight between the two is not a huge difference and I know Carbon is a LOT stronger than alloy but it seems odd I seem to pick up issues more when i see carbon made by others and I get fussy if I see issues.

J:
    Freq i25 if tubeless

Alex supra d for front toobz
    video=youtube;][/video]...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Cheers @Deerhill. The Freq i25 looks good too.. So much choice but I think i am getting there... So thanks guys... all of you have been great...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    +1 on Flow Ex on whatever hubs you can get. I've been running stans rims extremely hard on a 26" hardtail and have had nothing but good things to say about them. My current set hasn't been touched by a spoke wrench since I bought them almost 6 months ago and I ride super chunky Western NC mountain trails.

Also I run Hans Dampfs 2.35 at 22/24psi for reference. Nice big footprint

mtbr member
    Here's your answer.

Hope Pro 2 Evo Hubs

26'r LIVES MATTER!!!

This. I recently moved to 38mm rims and with 2.35 or 2.4 inch tires give a very smooth ride with great traction. The tires will look huge on the new rims. Do this.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Cool. Thanks for the advice. The Pacenti rims may be good but with shipping to the UK it would not be as much of a bargain and the exchange rate falling through the floor here doesnt help either.

Budget is not an issue as i said it is a combined Christmas/Birthday pressy from my wife and if it looks like getting expensive I would just make up the difference and not tell her.. (You know we all lie about how much we spend on stuff to our wives and girlfriends).

Riding is mostly trail center stuff with some more challenging rides in the Welsh mountains, Lake district or the Derbyshire Peak District here in the UK. Wales has a lot of slate hillsides which can he slippery, rough and have some technical sections and its not constructed to be like that or groomed like a trail center would be. The same with Derbyshire or the Lake district. Its mostly natural terrain or ancient paths or cart tracks.
    The last ride in wales was about 2500 feet of climb and about 14 miles long.

That is a river below me and the narrow line close to the river is the trail I had to ride up too... About 1000 feet or so below me..

This is typical of one of the more natural trails too...

Then there is the usual trail centre stuff with man made rock gardens, drops and board walks etc.

Weight? I am about 14 stone (about 195 lbs) kitted up.

So it can be varied and as many of the rides are out in the open there is no up lift and ride back down stuff for me.. I know some trail centres have the up lifts but I enjoy the ride and scenery too and the ride down is my reward for riding up it too..
    I lived in the UK for a number of years and have spent lots of time riding in Wales and the lake district. For those trails, in the wet, I would buy the LB 38mm rims with hope hubs (~500 pounds) and use a set of Maxxis DHF tires. Use the 26X2.50 3C MAXX TERRA in the front and the 2.3 in the rear. This combo has amazing traction, good rolling resistance and does not weight a ton (~850 grams).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    I lived in the UK for a number of years and have spent lots of time riding in Wales and the lake district. For those trails, in the wet, I would buy the LB 38mm rims with hope hubs (~500 pounds) and use a set of Maxxis DHF tires. Use the 26X2.50 3C MAXX TERRA in the front and the 2.3 in the rear. This combo has amazing traction, good rolling resistance and does not weight a ton (~850 grams).

Having ridden some of the areas I get to ride you have a good idea of the terrain too. I felt the 38mm wide rims (31.6mm inner width) were going too far especially in a bike that came with 17mm wide rims and 2.1 inch tyres. The 33mm rims are closer to the rims I was looking at with a 26mm inner width. The WTB KOM 125's are close on weight as well as size. I sort of avoided Carbon rims partly because when I went to the bike show I could pick faults with a lot of the carbon rims on show.

mtbr member
    Having ridden some of the areas I get to ride you have a good idea of the terrain too. I felt the 38mm wide rims (31.6mm inner width) were going too far especially in a bike that came with 17mm wide rims and 2.1 inch tyres. The 33mm rims are closer to the rims I was looking at with a 26mm inner width. The WTB KOM 125's are close on weight as well as size. I sort of avoided Carbon rims partly because when I went to the bike show I could pick faults with a lot of the carbon rims on show.
    I would not worry too much about what was originally on the bike. I used to ride 819 rims, which were 19mm internal. Great rims that never gave me problems. My king hub blew apart, which forced me to find a replacement ASAP. Someone was selling a set of LB rims on eBay and I went for them. Didn't really care about what they were but just needed a replacement ASAP. Turns out they rode very different and really felt like an improvement. The extra cush and size of the tires is noticeable. I wish I had the set-up I mentioned during my days Coed-y-Brenin!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have just ordered some Novatec D041 and D042 hubs. I think I may just go with the carbon rims.

Now I just need to try and stop working 6 days a week and get out on the bike more.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have now got the Novatec hubs and a pair of WTB ST i25 rims which may not be super light but should be more than strong enough so all I now need to sort is a cassette and some spokes. I think I may go with DT Swiss Revolution DB spokes.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Wheels now built. I got some stans rim tape but have not got round to changing over to tubeless yet. I have not had time so I inflated the wheels up with tubes and will seal them next week if I can get some time to do that.

So impressed with the wheels now though. The bike feels so much more.. More of everything to be honest. No more feeling the tyre wants to rip its self off the rim and it has cushioned the ride a little more too.. Plus the wheels are actually lighter than the original deore hubs and Mavic XM117 rims and OEM DB spokes. Its not a huge saving but any weight saved is good.. Happy Happy Happy... lol