What tools to carry?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2019

What tools to carry?

New to the off-road stuff after tons of miles on the road. Iím used to a couple tubes, co2, multi etc in the saddle bag for longer rides. What are you guys carrying on the mountain? With tubeless Iím not as worried about flats, but going flat miles from the car doesnít sound great either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Carry a tube with you!

I carry pretty much the same as you, and same as my road bike when I had that too.

multi tool (with chain breaker); ensure the bike multi tool you carry has tools that work on your bike, such as torx bits.
    Chain master link appropriate for your chain
    CO2 cartridge(s) and inflator tip
    Pump
    Tube
    zip ties
    first aid (gauze pad/bandaids/eye drops (when I remember)/medical tape
    a little bit of duct tape or gorilla tape

Optional:
    multi tool like a Leatherman
    tubeless stem
    valve core
    valve core remover

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I do almost like Forest Rider, but I use a spoke tool that doubles as a valve core tool:
    https://www.amazon.com/Goabroa-Wrenc...2044507&sr=1-5

Meatbomb
    As for the duct tape, I wrap a bunch around my pump body. You don't even know it's there until you need it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    That really depends on where Iím riding. My typical Saturday morning ride is a a 2.5 mile loop so a pug kit, a tube, a CO2 inflator and a set of tire levers with an ďall in MultitoolĒ in the BB for anything else. I have a more extensive(overlapping) kit in my hydration bag should I go out on a longer ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    My save a ride kit inc:

Inner tube
    2x valve stems
    2x spare valves
    Valve tool
    Multi-tool for bikes
    Bike pump w/co2 adapter
    Inner-tube patch kit
    Digital air pressure gauge
    2x tire levers

I need to add a plug kit and a couple co2 cartridges.

Anyone carry an emergency bottle of tire sealant like those little 2fl oz bottles?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Mine has:
    tube
    4 ounces of Orange Seal
    plugs/tool for them
    pump
    multitool
    shrader adapter
    tire levers

mtbr member
    For everyday rides, my Ortlieb Micro Two saddle bag has in it:
    • Christian Bros multi-tool
    • Pedro's tire levers (2)
    • patches
    • 4 30 gram CO2 cartridges
    • CO2 inflator
    • rag
    • zip ties

At least that's what I think is in there. Can't remember the last time I had to open the bag.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    A few things I carry with me (in addition to what has been mentioned above):

- small spoke wrench
    - small folding pliers
    - duerailler hanger
    - wolf tooth combo tire levers, chain tool and master link
    - rubber gloves
    - seat post bolt (I had a few break)

With careful packing in can get this stuff in my ortlieb under seat bag ( yes I use a bag with my dropper). Carry other stuff like tube, air, zip ties in my hydration pack.

When I am going for a longer ride I rake my back pack which includes some first aid stuff.

In my vehicle I have my mtn biking duffle bag which includes more tools, pads, spare brake bits, disc brake, spare pedals, change of clothes, towel, lube, more tools etc. It is a bag packed to go on on mtn biking vacation - just easier to grab it every ride and stay organized.
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    ^derailleur hangar is really important and often forgotten.

You'll never need it until that one time you're on a trip somewhere and no shops have the hanger you need and now your bike is unrideable...

I have mine zip tied/taped to my seat rail so it's always with the bike no matter what.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Good call. I have a hanger in my back pack now. Purchased it before I went on a trip. Didn't want riding trip ruined due to derailleur problems.

Not something I think about riding home trails though. I can fix and ride back if needed but nice to have available even for local rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Damn, my kit gets bigger each time I read this thread. I do carry a spare derailleur hanger in my kit but I'll have to add my Leatherman Wave, zip ties, some duct tape and latex gloves in there as well. This on top of my mini First Aid kit. I'll have to recalibrate by suspension by end of the week at this pace. lol

mtbr member
    Mine is really minimal right now.

Pump
    Multitool

I know I know but no real long rides scheduled and never more than a mile or two from trailhead.

I do need a plug kit. I run cushcore inserts right now so could get back to the trailhead in a pinch with no air.. Also saving up for the oneup stem tool setup. I haven't found a seat bag I like yet, but do have the wolftooth b-rad system, so will be able to add a small bag to it eventuallyif needed.

Don't say anything but I ride with a guy that carries everything, so I sponge off of him...lol.

In all seriousness for longer rides and trips, I carry much of what you guys do.

First aid kit.
    Derailleur hanger,
    Leatherman,
    Chain parts,
    Tube,
    Patch kit,
    CA glue (for cuts, and minimal repairs)
    Duct tape.
    Zip ties (always have them in the car too..I drive a Wrangler so kind of a necessity there)

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    This thread is actually pretty informative for me. My first mountain bike should be delivered in a couple days and I've been curious about having a small kit with me just in case.

I don't plan on going tubeless right away so I was planning on a spare tube but wasn't sure about other stuff. This post starts my list of things I'll have to slowly get.

mtbr member
    In theory you should carry a spare tube or at the very least a plug kit, even running tubeless. A patch kit is a good thing to have if you don't want to carry an entire tube if you are running tubes, but just replacing the whole tube is much faster.

mtbr member
    ^^^Agree a tube is quicker and easier than a patch. To patch a tube, you need to find the hole, which isn't always easy. A thorn puncture or similar can be pretty hard to find. Try to find and remove the cause of any flat. Finding the offending item in the tire can point to where to look on the tube...if you aligned the label on the tire to the valve stem.

For tubeless, I carry a plug kit, a tube, a tire lever and a mini-pump. It pretty much covers all the bases: If the plug and existing sealant won't fix it, the tube will...and maybe a boot if there's a big hole in the tire. Need a valve core? There's one in the tube stem. Break a tubeless valve stem? Use the tube.
    Do the math.

Hitching a ride
    I think with the new Stans plug kit I'm going to ditch the tube. I ride tough tires anyway and haven't ever gotten a rip that sealant couldn't plug.

mtbr member
    As for me, I'd carry:
    - a repair kit for camera and a pump!
    - a multitool
    - chain grease
    - some cables
    - wire cutters
    Resently, I was searching for a multitool to carry with me during driving and I've found a nice combo on one of the sites which reviews on tool kits (that was https://outdoorsly.org/best-bike-tool-kit/ just in case). I've found a portable multitool together with a puncture kit and a saddle bag(the 6th is here). Now I got it and that was really nice decision to purchase it, because I've just looked for a multitool and got a bag and a repair kit as an addition. So, I may advice you to have some bike bags with you for carrying necessary tools in them, because it's very comfortable and useful.