What is a Tapered Steerer Fork & a Straight Steerer Fork. Need Help in changing Fork.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

What is a Tapered Steerer Fork & a Straight Steerer Fork. Need Help in changing Fork.

Hi Guys,

Need your advise in explaining what is a Tapered Steerer Fork and a Straight Steerer Fork?

Can a Tapered Steerer Fork fit a Straight Steerer Fork Headset or Headtube?

I am currently using a Straight Steerer Fork (RockShox J3), can I change and fit a Tapered Steerer Fork to my frame? Do I need a special adapter for it?

I am planning to buy and install a Tapered Steerer Fork but not sure if it fits my bike Frame, Headtube and Headset. Below is the link of the Front Fork I want to get:
    29ER Fork

My current bike model is: 2006 - KHS Alite 3000:
    KHS Bicycles :: Alite 3000

Can anyone advise what are the specifications of my Bike Frame, Headtube and Headset. And do i need to change the Headset to fit the Tapered Steerer Fork from Hongfu Bikes?

Here are photos of my current bikes Headtube and Front Fork:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1019106...1226/FrontFork

Please advise, thanks much!

Just Joshin' ya!
    No, this will not work. A tapered fork requires a 1.5 inch bottom and it tapers to 1.125 inches at the top. Your KHS has an internal headset for a 1.125 or 1 and 1/8th inch straight steerer tube. Any 1 and 1/8th inch straight steerer fork should work (as long as it meets your bikes travel or axle to crown constraints) as long as you have an internal headset. I am very certain a 1.5 inch bottom headset cup will not fit in your frame. Do not buy a tapered fork. Just find a straight tube steerer fork at 1 and 1/8th inch diameter. There are no adapters that will make this work. Don't do it.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincipalRider View Post
    No, this will not work. A tapered fork requires a 1.5 inch bottom and it tapers to 1.125 inches at the top. Your KHS has an internal headset for a 1.125 or 1 and 1/8th inch straight steerer tube. Any 1 and 1/8th inch straight steerer fork should work (as long as it meets your bikes travel or axle to crown constraints) as long as you have an internal headset. I am very certain a 1.5 inch bottom headset cup will not fit in your frame. Do not buy a tapered fork. Just find a straight tube steerer fork at 1 and 1/8th inch diameter. There are no adapters that will make this work. Don't do it.
    Thanks for the information.

Do you or anybody have any recommendation for a Straight Steerer Carbon Fork, with Axle to Crown at 470mm, weighing at around 500 ~ 600 grams?

It seems very hard to find, but I am trying to find a Straight Steerer Carbon Fork with A-C at 470mm to keep the geometry the same at 100mm, for a corrected 100mm suspension fork.

I was just wondering if a Product says 29" Carbon Rigid Fork Straight Steerer, and the A-C at 470mm, can i still use it on my 26" bike?

Please advise!

Thanks.

Just Joshin' ya!
    If the axle to crown measurements are the same and the fork is a disc fork, it should work. I also found these on Ebay.

2013 New Trigon MTB 3K Full Carbon Rigid Fork Disc V Brake Compatible MC01 | eBay
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A tapered fork "CAN" fit in your frame. You just need an external headset cup that fits into a zero stack 44mm head tube: Cane Creek 40 Series 44 Tapered Headset | Competitive Cyclist

What is a Tapered Steerer Fork & a Straight Steerer Fork. Need Help in changing Fork.-xx_44mm_traditional_profile-648x399.jpg

You just have to make sure the depth of the headtube has enough room for the cup to slide in.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fodio View Post
    Thanks for the information.

Do you or anybody have any recommendation for a Straight Steerer Carbon Fork, with Axle to Crown at 470mm, weighing at around 500 ~ 600 grams?

It seems very hard to find, but I am trying to find a Straight Steerer Carbon Fork with A-C at 470mm to keep the geometry the same at 100mm, for a corrected 100mm suspension fork.

I was just wondering if a Product says 29" Carbon Rigid Fork Straight Steerer, and the A-C at 470mm, can i still use it on my 26" bike?

Please advise!

Thanks.
    You need a fork with about a 450mm axle to crown measurement to keep the geometry the same not a fork with a axle to crown measurement of 470mm.

When you subtract 20 to 25% sag off a 100mm suspension fork with a fully extended axle to crown measurement of 470mm you'll be riding it at a axle to crown measurement of around 450mm.

A 26" rigid fork that's 100mm suspension correct will have a axle to crown measurement of about 450mm, suspension corrected means that it'll keep the same geometry as what you'll get with a 100mm suspension fork.