what press. do you ride in your tires? trails? dirt jumping? park?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

what press. do you ride in your tires? trails? dirt jumping? park?

tried searching and spent alot of time reading other stuff. seems people prefer pretty low (in my eyes) press's for trail riding like 20-26psi, which to me seems too soft. I can see how that can help traction, but doesnt that SLOW you down when your cruising the main parts of the trails? to me seems like a MAJOR trade off and would cause you to use alot more energy to pedal a long distance this way. downhill it would be a moot point since there isnt much pedaling.

so just would like to hear some testamonials for diff. press's in diff. riding environments. since I ride all the situations listed in the title.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I personally ride at 42lbs. I like a hard tire. When I go to the skatepark I go up to 50 or more.
    I have a FS too so I can get away with more pressure without it feeling too hard. On my HT I run 32lbs.

Only reason I ride 42lbs is because I kept pinchflatting. I mean every ride too. So I went up to 40, and problem solve and I roll faster.
    I think 20lbs is way too low, you either debead a tire and or pinch, definitely pinch. I did go to 25 on a snow ride, but those are much different conditions too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If i didn't pinch flat at 30 so much i would run 30. I run 40 on anything offroad, XC and DH, in any condition.

I weigh 190

One less thing to worry about.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    tubes,
    Trail riding, 2.4 F, 28PSI, 2.25 R, 32PSI.
    Rocky conditions or lots of jumps, will bring it up to keep from pinch flatting.
    200lbs

Off the back...
    Our trails are up and down, with little in the way of flat sections. I ride 2.4 tires on wide-ish rims and 20-25 psi tubeless, ~180 lbs. I used to pinch flat on 50% of my rides @ 35 psi, then bumped it to 40+ psi to stop the pinch flats. This contributed to a loss of traction on climbs, so I had to bring the pressure back down, which caused more pinch flats, etc. Tubeless works well to prevent flats, and I can't say I notice any additional rolling resistance even at 20 psi.

mtbr member
    I run 38-40psi normally. I am using 2.1 Panaracer Fire XC Pro Tires on FSA XC-300sl rims.

-Brett
    Visit my Youtube channel for lots of DH and XC videos!
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks guys. I always wondered why I always hear of people getting flats, and I have never yet. (knock on wood)but maybe thats because I been running 40-45psi (or higher). my trails are pretty much mix of everything. except our downhill sections are like, 50feet distance. no mountains out here. just hills. some really steep, most moderatly steep w/switchbacks, or offcamber turns in them. but Id say 60% of the 10 mile trail is relatively flat.

I started considering goin tubless after all my reading and watching a few vid.s on stans website. it sounded like more of a pita then it actually is. so no Im really thinking of doin it. the only thing stopping me in the past, and holding me back now is I havent had flatting problems before.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    150 lbs, 2.2" Conti Trail Kings (which have HUGE casings... more like 2.35), AM riding.

I find when I run 30 or under I get pinch flats a lot, 30-35 sometimes, 35-40 rarely.

mtbr member
    Get with the program, lose the tubes (go stans or similar), drop the pressure, forget about the flats.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    w/ tubes: 32F / 35R for general trail riding
    w/ tubes: 35F / 38R for gravel/hard pack
    w/ tubes: 45F / 45R for road (but I don't do much of this at all)

tubeless: 25F / 28R for general trail riding
    tubeless: 30F / 32R for gravel/hardpack
    tubeless: 45F / 45R for road (but I don't do much of this at all)

If it matters, running 26x2.4 WTB Mutano Raptor on the front and 26x2.3R WTB Weirwolf on the rear. Both AM TCS aramid bead.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I run about 40 psi for almost everything. When its wet and muddy, about 35 psi. My tires are 2.3 and I run standard tubes. I get minimal pinch flats, but I check my psi before every ride with a floor pump in my car.

I'm a firm believer that simply checking your psi before every ride is key to not flatting.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

meow meow
    around 25-30 trail riding. tubes, i weigh ~155.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    2.25 Schwalbe Nobby Nic

28-32 psi

I do have stans sealant in the tire. no flat.

mtbr member
    I ride everything at 30psi, XC AM DJ and my two motorcycles. It seems to help me to gauge exactly how my tires should behave in any situation.

If many gauges are often up to 25% inaccurate I can't see the point of going for 28psi for example. I use two or three gauges to get an average of 30psi. And yes, they all give different readings!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    yeah I know abuot the tire gauges all reading +/- couple lbs.

The White Jeff W
    Air pressure is such a personal thing...so many variables that go into it. Personally I drop the pressure a little bit each ride until my tires start to feel squirmy, then bump it up a bit until they feel good. Usually start around 30 psi and end up anywhere from 22 - 28. Usually a few psi more in the rear.
    No moss...

just ride
    Oct 2006
    FS bike
    142 lbs geared up
    2.25 nobby nic
    20psi F
    26psi R
    tubes

tons of braking and corner traction. No pinch flat! I ride on rocky, rooty, onroad, fire road, single track, muddy, crossing creek, etc...

Moose Member
    I pump air in my tires until i get bored and want to go ride...

Never lower than 30 and never higher than 45. i try to get it at about 38-40 though. i ride everything that pressure. I'm 130 lbs

wuss
    I don't think I've ever had a flat except when running tubes.

Generally I keep my air pressure high enough not to hit my rims badly or keep my tire feeling like it's casing is bending over. It really depends on the tire as to what that correct pressure is... For some tires and trails I could keep my air pressure at around 20 psi, for others I'll go to 30 psi or anything in between.

If I'm riding trails that are not wet and don't contain a lot of rocks and roots I might put the pressure even higher, but that's pretty rare...

Trail Ninja
    25 psi F/R for SoCal hardpack with 2.2 29er tires with tubes or tubeless as 140 lb rider w/gear. 30-35psi in my 26x2.35 High Roller Mtn F/R with tubes on my Dawg. I simply go as low as I can without getting flats. Still get pinch flats on my Dawg with 30, usually in the rear, so I've been leaning on pumping it up harder.

mtbr member
    I am 155lbs and run 35-40psi in stock tubes/tires. The rear might break traction going up a loose climb but the trails here allow you to carry speed into a climb so thats not really an issue. Climbing with your behind over the rear tire and your face over the bars (sounds painful) helps keep traction on climbs where you need it. The lower pressure creates more drag and makes it seem like a longer ride to the trail. Its right at 2 miles from where I live to the trailhead and the road/ mild stair jumping along the way wouldn't like much less pressure.

I didn't think this was high pressure until I saw some of the posts above. I have been told 40psi for my 26" 2.10 tires is a good starting point and play with the pressure to see what fits you and your riding style best.

Extremely low pressures help tremendously for rockcrawling and the sand dunes where a bigger foot print would be more beneficial. On a mountain bike I think the benefit is minimal and terrain specific.
    Last edited by ryandoobs; 03-11-2011 at 09:52 AM.
    EMAW

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    lew242 out of curiosity (as a MC mech. for the last 10 years) what kinda Motorcycle do you run 30psi in the rear?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I lost both my tire pressure gauge and my pump that has a built-in, but inaccurate gauge. I now just put some air in and give the tires a squeeze. If they feel too squishy I put more air in. Can't say I check very often either, but I am riding max once/week right now.

Members who have read this thread: 2