What to buy?- Mtbr.com

Thread: What to buy?

newtomountain
    Sep 2019

What to buy?

Hi. I am looking for some guidance on what to buy for my first mountain bike. I am a 55 year old female who wants to buy her first mountain bike. I have only ridden a few times on borrowed bikes. I do not plan to ever race.
    I have the option of buying an entry level brand new bike for $500 (aluminum frame, front suspension, hydraulic brakes) or a 2012 used biked for $1600 from a bike shop that is in very good condition and retailed for $8600 when new (carbon frame and handle bar, full suspension, tires one year old).
    What makes for sense? Has technology changed a lot since $2012?
    Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    What's kind is the used bike? Most 500.00 bikes aren't worth taking on trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I would go somewhere between those options.

As was mentioned there aren't many $500 bikes really worthy of hard trail riding (though a few are likely close). Spending $1600 on a 7 year old used bike also seems ill advised as there has been a lot of technological improvement.

What type of trails do you want to ride? And where are you located country wise? If you can afford $1600 you can get a good new bike that would suit a beginner, so I wouldn't go with either of your options.

newtomountain
    Sep 2019
    Thanks for your help. The used bike is a
    Giant Anthem X Advanced SL 0

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    So I would be unlikely to buy the used bike unless you were doing mostly dirt path riding. It's a cross country race bike and wouldn't be very forgiving of any mistakes. It's got small wheels and a very steep head tube angle by modern standards, both of which lead to it being easier to fly over the bars on.

That being said, if you are thinking fairly smooth trails, bike paths, etc.. It would probably work well, particularly if you were a small person. My wife's mountain bike is a Specialized Era from a few years before that one even (2010 I think...). She uses it for light mountain biking and pulling our son around in a trailer on the bike path. For that, it works well. it's geo and suspension don't help her overcome her fear of more challenging terrain though, as they just aren't as forgiving as modern bikes. It would be light though. I just wouldn't pay $1800 for a bike with its limitations.

So what type of riding do you want to do? What type of trails will you be on? That's the next question that will help us give you good advice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gitti View Post
    Giant Anthem X Advanced SL 0
    That's actually not a bad bike...even today. People are going to tell you it's an unrideable death machine because the geo is on the old side. Tech has changed quite a bit since 2012..but it'll come down to where you plan on riding the bike. There is no sense in buying the latest and slackest bike if where you ride does not call for it.

Most important thing is that the bike fits you properly and that its in good condition. Has the suspension been serviced? The bearings in the pivots lubed or replaced? Does the bike shift and pedal smoothly?

WillWorkForTrail
    The biggest problem with a bike that old isn't the tires - it's the drive train and suspension condition. Was the bike bought from and serviced at that shop? Also, a word about Giant bikes in general - they come with lifetime frame warranties, but only to the original purchaser. So on the used Giant, you don't get a warranty. They're solid bikes, and I rode a 2013 Anthem for years (still have it, but my son rides it now) but if I was looking for something to ride more casually, I'd look at the Trance 29. You can get into one fairly inexpensively, and if you ride it enough to wear out any of the parts people complain about being "budget" or "low end" then it will be worth spending the money to upgrade those parts when you replace the worn out ones. But if it JUST came down to the two bikes you've mentioned? I'd probably still buy the Anthem....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Go to your local shops and take some test rides. You'll find something that feels right to you. (I'd recommend full suspension.) There's never been a better time to find an affordable and forgiving trail bike than right now.

newtomountain
    Sep 2019
    Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I will go back to the store and try some other options.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Could you tell us what type of riding you hope to do? Or what region you're in? That will really help everyone give you good advice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Like post #3 i think a new 500$ has no suspension well not a +.
    For about 700$US you can start on a used hardtail about 100-130mm that was selling for 1,500$ 3 years ago. You will learn, find what you enjoy and be able to resell without a big lost.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by gitti View Post
    Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I will go back to the store and try some other options.
    Check out the Giant Stance.