What is the Best Out of the Box Trail Bike You Can Buy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

What is the Best Out of the Box Trail Bike You Can Buy

If money is no option, what is the very best 5 inch travel "trail" bike one can buy. I have been looking and to date really like the Yeti ASR5 and also the Giant Trance SL.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    The best thing you could do is find the frame you like for whatever you consider "trail" riding, and then work with a LBS that carries that company to custom build one for you so you can pick and choose the parts that suit your style of "trail" riding. Its just going to vary so much from person to person based on where you live, what types of trails you ride, and the style of rider you are. There is no such thing as the overall BEST 5" trail bike, everyone will have there own opinion.

mtbr member
    Well I really love my EX 8. But I will say that I wish I had the money to be able to consider an ASR5. Have you given Santa Cruz's Blur LT and new Blur TRc a look?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well if that is your only choices

Trance SL

Ride and Smile
    Carbon Meta 5?

T.W.O.
    Ibis Mojo SL, SC Blur LTC, Tracer VP to add to your list they are good trail bike out of the box. Which one fit you best? Personally, for trail riding I find a bit less XC is more fun.

mtbr member
    Hypothetically speaking...
    Orange 5 with the following option boxes ticked.
    Hope m4 brakes,
    Float 36
    All the Hope upgrades
    Maxle swingarm
    Gamut dual ring guide/bash
    'pro kit' pack, Haven carbon bars, Thomson stem/post

Off the peg, sub 30lb bike that's good for anything from general riding about to lining up for the Megavalanche.

But, of the two you list the Giant. As a company they're always incredibly easy to deal with, bikes aren't half bad either.

Big Boy
    I would go with the Cannondale Jekyll Ultimate. Under 26 lbs with the choice of 150 mm or 90 mm of travel. Good geometry for climbing and descending. Pretty much a true do-it-all trail bike. The downside is its gonna cost you about $8000. And, for that money you could have a very nice xc "race" bike and a very nice AM bike.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!! :cornut:

meow meow
    if you have unlimited funds and know (or get someone who knows to help) what you are doing why would you ever buy off the rack?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I appreciate everyones' opinion and each has given me some new avenues to explore.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    if you have unlimited funds and know (or get someone who knows to help) what you are doing why would you ever buy off the rack?

I might change a few things, but in general I have found the high end bikes to be spec'd really well. For instance, my current bike is a Specialized S-works carbon comp. There is only one item I would change on the entire bike and that is the stupid Avid Juicy brakes.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    Ibis Mojo SL, SC Blur LTC, Tracer VP to add to your list they are good trail bike out of the box. Which one fit you best? Personally, for trail riding I find a bit less XC is more fun.
    or Mojo HD 140!

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl
    or Mojo HD 140!
    Ha that's what I got the 160 with extra limbo chips waiting for my i9 650b wheelset. I'll be running it with the Wotan up front. Too much work no very little play.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a couple of Yetis, but not the ASR5 and
    they are great bikes. However I also have a Trek
    EX9.9 and that is my favorite bike by far. Like b-kul
    I can't stand the Avid brakes.

Best, John

Big Gulps, Alright!
    This question inevitably pops up once a week. The answers are usually "whatever I ride"

Best bike? In what way? Lightest? Burliest? Best climber? Best descender? Most DH-like? Most XC-like? See where I'm going?

The 5-6" bike market is incredibly varied in offerings right now. Look at the geometry, and test ride if you can.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    BMC TF02 2010 on competetive cyclist

greedy
    Money no problem. Buy 2 or 3 bikes, then you know you'll be covered.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Banshee spitfire

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley
    This question inevitably pops up once a week. The answers are usually "whatever I ride"

Best bike? In what way? Lightest? Burliest? Best climber? Best descender? Most DH-like? Most XC-like? See where I'm going?

The 5-6" bike market is incredibly varied in offerings right now. Look at the geometry, and test ride if you can.

To answer this, I would say one that climbs as close to a XC bike and descends as close to an DH bike. I know that is ridiculous, but there has to be a best one out there based on this criteria.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by surfstar1
    To answer this, I would say one that climbs as close to a XC bike and descends as close to an DH bike. I know that is ridiculous, but there has to be a best one out there based on this criteria.
    yawn

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surfstar1
    Why does this feel like op is trolling...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    hmmmmm you might have a point......almost as if the OP posting something in the brake forum with the title "Mech or Hydro which is better?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    moto cross bikes are pretty good at climbing and descending...

and your legs dont get tired riding em

win win

Members who have read this thread: 0