What is it- Mtbr.com

Thread: What is it

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

What is it

Hello, I need some help in identifying this bike. I believe it is a Rascal. Not sure of the year.

I inherited this bike from my brother, he bought it new. It had been hanging in the garage for at least 10- 12 years. covered in dust and spider webs. His widow was moving and called and said if I want the bike come and get it. Considering that she kept or sold most of his belongings I jumped at the chance. Looked for the original forks but nowhere to be found. Unless he purchased it with the shocks installed.

I plan on keeping the bike its fun to ride and something to remember my brother. Any suggestions for fixing it up. Has a few scratches and no dents. The right shifter is sloppy, left shifter is snappy, and the pedals suck. Will be doing trail riding, nothing too crazy.

So far my list is saddle, grips, pedals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is it-klein-mb.jpg  

What is it-klein-rd85.jpg  

What is it-klein-xt.jpg  

What is it-klein-chain.jpg  

Up In Smoke
    Sorry I can't be of any help identifying the bike but I have to say, that is a sweet bike, and its single speed ready!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Clean and lube the cable, and if possible, spray inside the shift housing and the shifter should become less sloppy. Even WD40 will work in the shifter to soften up the old dried grease. It will be as good as new.

Probably a good idea to clean and lube all the cables. Pull cable from housing, wipe clean. Drip some tri-flow into the housing and done. Brake pads may need to be replaced if the material has gotten hard.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    Clean and lube the cable, and if possible, spray inside the shift housing and the shifter should become less sloppy. Even WD40 will work in the shifter to soften up the old dried grease. It will be as good as new.

Probably a good idea to clean and lube all the cables. Pull cable from housing, wipe clean. Drip some tri-flow into the housing and done. Brake pads may need to be replaced if the material has gotten hard.
    Good info Thanks

mbtr member
    As you know it's a klein, 93-95 vintage. Most likely an Attitude, as i recall those dropouts weren't used on most models. IIRC rascals weren't suspension corrected, so the fork...? They have a following, so someone who cares more can probably tell you what day it was made.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    As you know it's a klein, 93-95 vintage. Most likely an Attitude, as i recall those dropouts weren't used on most models. IIRC rascals weren't suspension corrected, so the fork...? They have a following, so someone who cares more can probably tell you what day it was made.
    Duh. EVERYbody knows when it was made.

On Newbikeday

Hi There!
    Try posting on the Vintage forum here.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    OK will post over there.

Forest Rider suggested "WD40 will work in the shifter to soften up the old dried grease. It will be as good as new" and it worked like a charm.

mtbr member
    I believe you are correct as the "R" should be for rascal. 90 or later, as 88/89 it was actually the "top gun". Yours appears to have the Mission Control bars not to mention the F'ING RAD CRANKS!! Holy find, good job.

And try the "vintage" forum here for more. Also vintageklein.com and I think there is a vintage klein group on facebook.
    Silly bike things happening.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Found This in the 1990 Klein Catalog

"New for1990 Introducing Mission Control Kleins one pice lightweight bar and stem system. Also for 1990 new chain control device." This bike has both.

I would say the bike is 1990 or 1991 Klein Rascal XT.

In 1993 they offered an option for front rock shocks and did away with the welded little dongle for the brake cable to run through from the handlebar. 1994 no more Rascal.

No more vintage Klein website but there is a vintage Trek site with Klein info.

Thanks for the help forum members

Sneaker man
    Fork is a Mazocchi bomber, so from around 96+, rear mech is from 94+. Which of course means nothing at all as parts can be changed. Attitdue wouldn't have that sort of headset.
    But I'm sure someone will be along in the other thread in VRC will know exactly what it is.
    All the gear and no idea.

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.