Want new tires. Your input please.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Want new tires. Your input please.

I own TREK Remedy 9.8 2019 and Stache 9.7 2019. The remedy is 27.5” tire and the Stache is 29”.

Remedy 27.5x2.60
    Stache
    29x3.00˝

I was recommended Maxxis SS tires. I want something more grippy. Especially around corners. Any recommendations for front and rear set ups for both bikes. Although I couldn’t locate that size in maxxis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Where are you located? What trail conditions - hardpack, loose over hard, loose, mud? Conditions make a big difference.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kolelt View Post
    I was recommended Maxxis SS tires.
    those are informally a rear-specific tire. They're more competent than you'd think. They give up some braking traction in wet/loamy soil for smoother rolling and less skatey-ness in gravel, including deep gravel. Cornering ability is excellent, actually, until you chew off the inner edges of the cornering knobs. Lifespan is similar to other minions. I'm a fan.

Anyway, any suggestions offered that aren't tailored to your local terrain and expectations are going to be bunk. (and there's a regular or two that offers the same awful advice to everyone.) That said, my vote is minion DHF/SS, in 2.5. Exo casing because you didn't specify. Maxxgrip in front, maxxterra out back. Good, super versatile set up.

Plus tires are fashionably out of fashion, you might get better advice in the plus bike forum.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Located in NJ. Do trails are a mixture. Soft, soft hard, I stay away from mud. Has rocks, roots. I ended up ordering maxxis minion dhr for the remedy. And maxxis minion dhs for the Stache. All in exo. What are your thoughts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kolelt View Post
    Located in NJ. Do trails are a mixture. Soft, soft hard, I stay away from mud. Has rocks, roots. I ended up ordering maxxis minion dhr for the remedy. And maxxis minion dhs for the Stache. All in exo. What are your thoughts.
    Did you order DHR front and back for the Remedy? 27.5x2.6? And for the Stache, DH(what, R or F?) in the 29x3.0?
    Don't be so stingy with information.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    DHF/DHR has been my go-to for 3 years, but I experimented with the Assegai up front last week. That tire is mind-blowing, it feels like it has twice the grip of the DHF. I'm even considering it for the rear. The tire is amazing.

FWIW, I have found the dual compound lasts over 2x as long as any of the 3C compounds. I get the dual.

mtbr member
    Long time favorites for Northeast sometimes slippery rocks and roots have been Bontrager XR3/4 and Spec Purgatory and Ground Control. These have been favored over the DHR/F in these conditions.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Did you order DHR front and back for the Remedy? 27.5x2.6? And for the Stache, DH(what, R or F?) in the 29x3.0?
    Don't be so stingy with information.
    I ordered these for Stache ( hardtail ) front and back
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...ss-ready-black

And for the remedy I got these. Also front and back.
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...RoCGmwQAvD_BwE

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I'm running a WTB Viligante 2.5 up front (High Grip Tough Casing) and WTB Judge 2.4 in the rear (Fast Rolling Tough Casing). Setup tubeless on some Spank Spike 350 Vibrocore Rims, been riding everything from the front range to bike parks and have yet to even have a puncture, let alone a flat (and im on a hardtail). Grip with this combo is ridiculous, almost too much in the rear. Couldn't recommend this combo enough. I may try out the new Verdict up front next time I swap and keep the judge in the rear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaWolf5280 View Post
    I'm running a WTB Viligante 2.5 up front (High Grip Tough Casing) and WTB Judge 2.4 in the rear (Fast Rolling Tough Casing). Setup tubeless on some Spank Spike 350 Vibrocore Rims, been riding everything from the front range to bike parks and have yet to even have a puncture, let alone a flat (and im on a hardtail). Grip with this combo is ridiculous, almost too much in the rear. Couldn't recommend this combo enough. I may try out the new Verdict up front next time I swap and keep the judge in the rear.
    I'm running the same tires on my enduro bike and love them.

I'm running the Maxxis Rekon+ f/r on my plus bike and I would recommend them. Bontrager XR4 on the front if you want a little more bite. Both come in 29+ now.