Vote on these two bikes- Mtbr.com

Poll: Which one

This poll will close on 12-05-2019 at 02:35 PM

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Vote on these two bikes

Same price, Which one would you take? Trail.

Assume need no reconditioning or repairs.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...009136538.html

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/...007027218.html

Just imagine price is same, regardless of how much. $2000, $3000, whatever...Which one would you rather have??
    Last edited by OddJack; 1 Week Ago at 11:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Personally at that price point I'd save a bit more and buy a new Fezzeri. I'd say that santa Cruz is overpriced by about double. Don't know much about the Yeti but if that's the kind of bike you're after it seems like a good buy.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    What yeti...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sneaker man
    Hmmm... which car should I buy?
    This 2012 Subaru
    or this other 2017 Red car.
    No other details to provide other than the same price, which is the better buy?

Come on OP, you can do a bit better than that.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    For a grand each I would buy them both then dump them on eBay...then buy another Intense Honestly it would depend on what Yeti it was, its much newer but I would be more concerned with fit and type of bike vs build and even year. CX race and full long travel enduro bikes are not my thing... the new model 5010 seems like a nice "do it all" trail bike (dont know much about the 2014 model)

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Added detail

Sneaker man
    Well I'd pick the Yeti because I don't like santa cruz and I do liek yeti...but they also seem like different bikes, yeah? one is XC (yeti) the other trail?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The Yeti can do both trail and XC, according to two reviews falls somewhere in the middle.

Sneaker man
    well yeah, just about any bike can technically do both, but the asr is designed as an XC bike...and it definately wouldn't fall into the "All Mountain" category of this sub forum.

mtbr member
    Both have a fairly steep HTA of 68 degrees but the SC has that in between trail/XC travel.... I would go for the XC Yeti out of these two, its newer, bit longer, and probably a super efficient ripper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I am somewhat confused about the 68 degree angle.

On the reviews it says that higher angles help wit descend, but downhill bikes have less angle. Is it because of more agility over "easier descend" ?

Dream it, Do it.
    The Santa Cruz seems like a LOT of money for a 5 year old bike. I think the price on that price should be somewhere around $1700. The Yeti is more in the ballpark of what might be a fair price, though for around $3k you might look for a bike with a more modern suspension design such as the Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ibis Ripley, Pivot Mach 4, maybe a Trail 429 though that might be more bike than you want.

Some used bikes I found for around the $3k price range in the LA/OC/SD areas

2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2614942/
    2018 Intense Carbine: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2651255/

Some other bikes that might work out for you, but I would be wary of getting an SB100 due to potential issues with the Switch Infinity link on that bike. (Could be either a design and/or manufacturing issue): https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...-45-yeti-sb100
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Both have what I would consider a steep (more XC) head tube angle...so I would stick with the quick nimble racy vibe with the shorter travel newer Yeti or go a little more "trail bike". Its just me, and not like I have ridden them or anything... spent a few years on a Specialized Camber and often wanted more travel or less weight and travel... that low middle 120mm travel range just doesn't do it for me.... just want a XC rocket or something more burly.

Having said that any bike is better than no bike, dont waist to much time deciding when you could be riding

Quote Originally Posted by OddJack View Post
    I am somewhat confused about the 68 degree angle.

On the reviews it says that higher angles help wit descend, but downhill bikes have less angle. Is it because of more agility over "easier descend" ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I think the SC is a over priced due to it a 2014 model. While still a nice bike, a lot has changed on this bike in 5-6 years. I would put the value at around 2K-
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks spectre and Ray.

I am riding a SC Heckler, just upgrading

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have a 2014 SC 5010 where all components except the brakes has been upgraded (long list). I'm going to sell it after buying a Yeti SB5.5. After researching I'm going to ask $2K, so I think the linked above is significantly overpriced.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    They're just very different bikes. THE ASR is a cross country bike. The 5010 is a messing around on trails bike.

According to the old Jenson listing, the ASR actually has a 69 HTA in medium, so a degree steeper.

Personally I probably wouldn't pay the asking price for either. I think the Yeti would probably have higher resale if you were to sell it on. I think that the 5010 would be super fun for everyday trail riding. I'd probably get a 1 degree Works Components angleset for it and jib the heck out of it.

Hitching a ride
    The ASR has problems as a trail bike. Limited tire clearance, old 142 spacing, and a bobby suspension that will have you thumbing a lockout to avoid pedal strikes. Notice the 30t chainring on that bike to increase antisquat. It's pretty good for it's purpose which is being a superlight XC race bike. But Yeti ditched the entire bike for the SB100.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Easy, buy the YT Jeffsey. No, Im no YT fan, but one of my friends only rides $8000 full carbon frame/carbon wheel high end Pivot bikes. He just bought a $3000 NEW YT Jeffsey as a temporary bike, and is blown away, setting some PR's too. He needed a bike shipped to East coast for a 2 week trip, and he is waiting for new Pivot to become available. 2nd person I know that loves the yt bikes. Not my thing, but a great value.

mtbr member
    5010. I have that year in that color with the SLX build. Aside from replacing the SLX derailluer with an XT after a crash and increasing the fork travel from 130 to 140, mine is stock.

It's a heck of a fun all mountain bike, no matter what you want to call it.

As for price, I paid $3500 for mine, have ridden it hard but kept it maintained and I would be very happy to get $1000 for it.

I really can't comment much on the Yeti. I've ridden a few but not the one for sale here and none ever tempted me to buy them.

I may be buying a new SC Tallboy 4 this spring. My older son and I have had SC's for years and have no complaints.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    The ASR has problems as a trail bike. Limited tire clearance, old 142 spacing, and a bobby suspension that will have you thumbing a lockout to avoid pedal strikes.
    Err..what? It's got a flat AS "curve" around 95% mid-way through the travel. That's pretty good any way you cut it. It's an XC bike, but a pretty efficient one. It doesn't take fancy parallel linkages or sliding stanchion switches to have a good efficient design, single rings greatly simplified things and are why bikes like the Evils and others do well.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.