Is using full 170mm travel on small jumps an issue?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Is using full 170mm travel on small jumps an issue?

I've been riding my sb6 for a couple of months and I'm trying to get the suspension dialed. I'm running the base Fox Performance 36 170mm fork. I weigh 155 pounds and the psi is set to 70. My rear shock is the Fox Performance DPX2 and its set to 180 psi. Also, I sped up the rebound a little. I've found that I'm using my full suspension going off small, 1-2 foot kickers (did a slow-mo video of me going off a jump to verify). I'm worried that on bigger features I could bottom out hard. Is it normal to use that much travel on smaller jumps or is there something I should look to adjust?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    You'll know when you've used full travel, doesn't feel nice. Height isn't the only determining factor, it's the landing gradient usually. If you're hucking to flat a 2 foot drop can be very harsh whilst a 6 foot drop to a steep landing can be smooth.

I'd suggest using volume spacers to gain some bottom out resistance and maintain the same pressures and retain small bump compliance.
    Last edited by GRPABT1; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:17 PM.

mtbr member
    At 155 lbs, with 180 psi are you getting the recommended sag? If so, on an SB6 with stock spacers, I think it's unlikely to be a problem. Also, do you know what full travel is? Let the air out of the shock and see if what you are getting is close.

Edit: I see the amount of compression on the fork is significant, but I think that's personal preference. That's kind of how mine is set up.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:43 PM.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Those numbers seem awful high to be running at your weight and still bottoming off small stuff. There are some more variables to work out, the two posts above are a good start, but as a short answer no - that doesn't sound good and you likely will bottom out hard off a bigger jump with a sub-par landing.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Most pump gages are off so that could be part of the issue. I set up my fork so I only use full travel on the hardest hits. I ignore rider weight psi and sag recommendations. Sag is a byproduct for me, not the starting point. Don't be alarmed if your pump reading is off what's recommended. In the end all you're looking for is the right spring rate, not any specific psi number. 36's are known for being supportive so my guess is you need more air regardless of what your pump says. A little more oil than recommended on top of the air piston will add ramp up but probably won't be needed once you get the spring rate right.

For the rear it's different, I go with sag guidelines and address end stroke support with high speed compression, and or volume reducers. I don't use rebound to address end stroke support. Speeding up rebound to address end stroke is a good way to get bucked or bounced at the worst times. Not sure but your sb6 might be regressive? Most regressive bikes give up their travel easy but often won't bottom hard. If you've got your sag where yeti recommends, and you're not feeling bottom, it's probably riding like yeti intended.

mtbr member
    Using full travel off small jumps is fine if all you do is small jumps. If you're going to hit a 6 ft huck to flat with the same suspension settings, then not so much.

Since you said you're worried about hard bottom out on larger features, then I'd assume some setup changes are in order. Start with making sure you have your sag set properly.

Once you have that dialed in, then start messing with adding volume spacers/tokens or the compression damping settings on your fork/shock.

Using full travel is a good thing. You just need to be aware of how often that is happening and over what features. I see so many guys riding around never using the last 2-3" of fork travel and getting nowhere near bottoming the shock. Mostly just people don't know how to set up their suspension so they "set it and forget it" and never adjust anything.

Either that, or they set it up for that mythical 6 ft drop they imagine themselves doing but never actually do. Set your bike up for what you ride most often, and adjust as needed for trail conditions. If you're going to hit a trail with bigger features, then adjust setting accordingly. On suspension with fewer external damping adjustments, you'll obviously be a bit more limited on what you can change between one ride and the next, so you'll have to compromise a bit between handling the big hits and more comfort on the smaller stuff.

But, if you're bottoming 170mm travel on 1-2 ft jumps/drops you should have a fair bit of room to play with.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How high are you getting off those kickers? IF you're getting 3 feet plus landing flat I can see going through a fair amount of travel. Upload that vid to youtube & share the link.

Also if you're not absorbing the impact with your legs and arms because it's not that much air it could be the cause as well. Going off larger drops/jumps may force you to use your body lessening the impact on the suspension.

Tough to say without seeing it.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    88 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I don't jump very high. Its fair to say my jumping form isn't very good. My feet aren't angled correctly and I don't really compress the rear shock. I'm aware in this video I don't use full travel. I had the sag recently set up at my local bike shop.

With that said, I'll take any and all advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6_3...ature=youtu.be

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    See if any of your LBSs rent a ShockWhiz. That thing's pretty nifty and will take the guesswork out of this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It doesn't look too bad. I'd say hit the bigger stuff, if you feel a hard bottom out add 5-10 psi.

Otherwise if it still bottoms add a volume spacer front and rear. That'll help with end stroke progression.

You're not far off from good, just a tweak here and there should do it.

Do keep a log of what pressure your using so you can make educated tweaks. Keep track of those tweaks. That's going to be the key to getting it right.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    88 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Looks like it may be more of a form issue. Not much shock absorption being done by your legs/arms.
    Also, the rear shock could have too much pressure or too much high speed compression dampening. It looks like it doesn't provide much compliance when the rear tire makes its first touchdown - almost seems to snap the front down harder. Or at least not absorb energy which is then transferred to the front.Though I admit, as an exclusive hardtail rider, I don't know much about rear suspension dynamics.

I'd try to move your weight rearward a little and give a little more with your legs and arms, see what it looks like.
    I'll also add that jumps to flat are by nature, hard hitting. I'm always astonished at how hard a flat landing feels (compared to a slope) when the jump is really not that high.
    Last edited by JaxMustang50; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    Do keep a log of what pressure your using so you can make educated tweaks. Keep track of those tweaks. That's going to be the key to getting it right.
    This is good advice for sure.

mtbr member
    Sounds like the dreaded 'Over Biked' has struck ;-P

Go see your GP asap as it could be contagious >.<

Seriously though =)

Have a fiddle w/ what's suggested above & find your ideal settings.

PS - I'm a Clyde, @240lb's in riding attire... I use about 60% of my travel going up hill!! o_0

Luckily I land like a cat & never bottom out, only using full travel on 12ft drops &/or 25ft gaps ;-)

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Fork looks like it blew threw the travel pretty quickly.
    If it feels good otherwise, maybe a bit more compression damping?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Send that shit. Pump up the fkn volume.

mtbr member
    Maybe you need to add some tokens and get some rising rate going on.

You should soft bottom on your hardest hit. Find that hit and set your suspension up accordingly.

PS i'm heavier than you, running lower pressure, bottoming out on larger hits.

mtbr member
    Looks like you’re rear wheel touches first, which sends you forward onto the fork hard. Looks like the rear may be a bit stiff which is pushing the fork. The tricky part is these linkage bikes are sensitive to sag for pedaling performance (more so than single pivot bikes). Start by letting out 10 psi and speeding the rebound a click or two and see if the bike behaves better off jumps. You want the suspension to feel balanced, like if you push down evenly on the pedals and bar you should compress and rebound the same amount and the same speed. Does that make sense?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthShoreTahoe View Post
    Send that shit. Pump up the fkn volume.
    I concur.
    2019 Trek Remedy
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2011 Trek Scratch Air 8
    2011 Reign 2
    2008 p.2