Used 2010 Santa Cruz Heckler 6 buying recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Used 2010 Santa Cruz Heckler 6 buying recommendations

I'm fairly new to the Mountain Biking scene and have seen a few older Santa Cruz Hecklers for sale. Is a 10 year old bike too old? How much should I be paying?

If the replies could include stock setup price recommendation and a price recommendation assuming upgrades have been made to the bike.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

mbtr member
    Dude they made hecklers for ever, and at every imaginable price point. You need to be really specific about what year heckler, what condition it's in, and what the build kit is. Otherwise it's impossible to guess.

Hecklers are great. They have a falling rate suspension that is fun and bouncy, but also dated. Their geometry is extremely short by modern standards. But they're sturdy and fun to ride. I wouldn't get too hung up on buying a heckler, and instead just try to find the best thing available on the used market.

What should an old heckler cost? ~500$, depending on condition.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Dude they made hecklers for ever, and at every imaginable price point. You need to be really specific about what year heckler, what condition it's in, and what the build kit is. Otherwise it's impossible to guess.

Hecklers are great. They have a falling rate suspension that is fun and bouncy, but also dated. Their geometry is extremely short by modern standards. But they're sturdy and fun to ride. I wouldn't get too hung up on buying a heckler, and instead just try to find the best thing available on the used market.

Yeah, I rented one at a resort a couple of years ago and was really surprised at how well it rode. Kind of outdated, but still a heap of fun on the trail.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post

Year is 2010 - sorry if that wasn't clear but i added it to the title.

Here are the specs directly from the PinkBike ad. (I really hope this practice isn't frowned upon. throughout the MTN bike community. I just don't want to get ripped off)

BIKE SPECS:

• Shimano SLX 2x9 groupset
    • Mavic rims
    • RaceFace Ride bars and stem
    • Shimano XT Deore hubs
    • Front brake: nearly brand new Tektro Hydraulics
    • Rear brake: nearly brand new Tektro hydraulics (not shown in picture but will be on the bike when sold)

• Fox Float RP23 rear shock (broken lockout but repairable)
    • Fox Float Fit RLC fork (Broken rebound adjuster knob. The fork is only attached on one side. This needs to be replaced.)

The other bikes I'm considering are either a brand new GY Avalanche and the Felt 9/80. I'm really not set on any brand at all, just want a good product to start out with without overpaying. Any thoughts on this bike would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by n10va View Post
    Year is 2010 - sorry if that wasn't clear but i added it to the title.

Here are the specs directly from the PinkBike ad. (I really hope this practice isn't frowned upon. throughout the MTN bike community. I just don't want to get ripped off)

BIKE SPECS:

• Shimano SLX 2x9 groupset
    • Mavic rims
    • RaceFace Ride bars and stem
    • Shimano XT Deore hubs
    • Front brake: nearly brand new Tektro Hydraulics
    • Rear brake: nearly brand new Tektro hydraulics (not shown in picture but will be on the bike when sold)

• Fox Float RP23 rear shock (broken lockout but repairable)
    • Fox Float Fit RLC fork (Broken rebound adjuster knob. The fork is only attached on one side. This needs to be replaced.)

The other bikes I'm considering are either a brand new GY Avalanche and the Felt 9/80. I'm really not set on any brand at all, just want a good product to start out with without overpaying. Any thoughts on this bike would be greatly appreciated.
    Don't even see that bike on the site. But I would not be buying a bike with a broken shock and broken fork.

Your bike sucks
    If you can afford it, buy a new bike or a better used bike within the last 3 years.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by shades9323 View Post
    Don't even see that bike on the site. But I would not be buying a bike with a broken shock and broken fork.
    Bike sold last night and happy I didn't consider it after reading the next 2 replies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    If you can afford it, buy a new bike or a better used bike within the last 3 years.
    What are your thoughts, if you have any at all, on the GT Avalanche as a starter bike? I know this is a bit different that the FS bile i posted initially. Any and all feedback is wanted