Upgraditis, pros, cons, results…- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Upgraditis, pros, cons, results…

I had a decision to make regarding my current steed: sell or upgrade. I have previously done both, either running a bike totally into the ground, or once fitting better wheels and forks to prolong the bike’s life. Most often, if a major upgrade was needed, I sold the old one and bought new.

This time I decided otherwise, and I just wanted to share the results.

The reasons for upgrade were:

- I would get exactly what I wanted for wheels and shocks
    - It would be initially cheaper
    - I like this frame geometry and size (a lot)
    - The wife would not see that I have sold and bought a new bike (again).

The reasons for just selling were

- I get a whole new, lighter bike, including a new drive train
    - I get a new bike warranty
    - Arguably, in the longer term it would be cheaper, depending upon how long the upgrade lasts.

“Happy wife, happy life” rung in my ears so upgrade it was.

In the end I replaced:

- the stock spec wheels with Rovals, which are lighter and have a wider footprint
    - the front dual crown Spec fork with the Marz. Micro switch 44. This was the main driver as although the original spec fork worked well initially, it was on the way out. Also, I struggled to make a clean swap to a new wheel set due to the 25mm axle.
    - The rear shock from the standard Spec to the Marz rocco. The spec shock had never worked well, and was far too stiff for the balance of the bike.

So, did it ride better, and was it worth it? Yes, and a qualified yes.

The wheels are good, tubeless ready, stiff enough for my purposes, and good rollers once ridden for a couple of months. They have not gone out of true at all.

The fork is a marginal disappointment. The “micro switch” fell off on the very first ride (only a set up ride) and was lost. Marz would not replace it under warranty, and it took months and $60 to get a new one. The fork itself has a good action, but in my opinion it is too flexy. I rode a near identical bike with Pikes, and liked the stiffness of the Pikes far more.

The rear shock is a winner. It eats technical riding generally (particularly descents) was easy to set up and has a really good range of settings. I recommend it highly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Drop the 44 if you can and get a proper fork like the 55
    Just another redneck with a bike

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by schlockinz View Post
    Drop the 44 if you can and get a proper fork like the 55
    Yeah, isn't the 44 a little short for the enduro?
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Or better yet, a lyric if you wanna have some travel adjust (I know that an enduro with 120mm in the front can make a pretty slick trail bike, bump it up to 160mm and you've got yourself some better bombing geometry)
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You may well be right... if the bike could do with any change now it would be more beef / capacity at the front. I like the look of the BOS forks (not that I'll ever look remotely like Nico V) , but I would have no access for warranty, and Iike being able to shorten the travel for climbing.

i guess the real job now is to trash this version of the bike and get a new one then. Tough work but someone has to do it

Members who have read this thread: 0