The ultimate all rounder - Canyon Strive vs Nukeproof Mega- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    17

    The ultimate all rounder - Canyon Strive vs Nukeproof Mega

    I am trying to get the the best bike that can handle things from flat local trails to some gnarly steep trails in bike parks. Obviously some terrain will be better for the bike than the other. I don't have the money to buy two bikes so I want one that can handle a lot of things.

    Especially I am deciding between 2018 Nukeproof Mega 275C RS and 2018 Canyon Strive 7.0 carbon. The fork and rear shock travel seems to be the same. The reviews and tests also seem to be quite similar.

    My biggest issue with the strive is the shapeshifter - some people got that stuck on DH mode. The canyon support quality seems to be on and off. The nukeproof looks like an overkill for the local trails (?.. it is a lot of pedaling a few drops, few jumps, some roots). I got that impression that nukeproof mega is gonna take more abuse.

    I would be very happy for any input. Currently I can buy almost new Canyon for the price of a little bit scratched Nukeproof. Maybe someone rode both? I would be also glad if you tell me your size and what size of bike do you run.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Techspec360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    466
    I canít speak for the nUKEproof; however the Strive was one of my favorite bikes that Iíve ever had. That being said the shape shifter always worked flawlessly and indeed does make a large difference in Geo. The only thing I didnít really like was the anti-squat numbers which made it kind of a slug on the long climbs. If youíre more focused on the gnarly descents, I would say strive would be the choice for you, just be prepared itís not very easy going on those long XC days.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    77
    YT Jeffsy should be on your list if youíre looking for a fantastic allrounder. Itís excellent in XC, climbing and competent descender.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: targnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,966
    Someone needs to retire the term 'All Rounder'...

    There's no such thing

    All Mountain FTW

    These tend to be bikes just below full on Enduro rigs, but more descent orientated than 'Trail'.

    If money grew on trees, I'd be all over the new Hightower.

    It looks like a great All Mountain rig.

    150/140 to me, looks the sweet spot

    Enough to get you out of trouble on the downs.

    Sent from my Nokia 6.1 Plus using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    17
    Thank you all for contributing to the thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Someone needs to retire the term 'All Rounder'...

    There's no such thing
    I do agree to some point. There is for sure no bike that can do the same in XC as well as downhill.

    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    If money grew on trees, I'd be all over the new Hightower.
    I like SC bikes, they are just so expensive even when you try to buy used ones... I wish money grew on trees lol

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by mfacey View Post
    YT Jeffsy should be on your list if youíre looking for a fantastic allrounder. Itís excellent in XC, climbing and competent descender.
    I did actually searched through YT. I think rather than Jeffsy I would go with YT Capra, but it did not seem as good as Nukeproof Mega or Canyon Strive... Just my opinion tho.

    Quote Originally Posted by Techspec360 View Post
    I canít speak for the nUKEproof; however the Strive was one of my favorite bikes that Iíve ever had. That being said the shape shifter always worked flawlessly and indeed does make a large difference in Geo. The only thing I didnít really like was the anti-squat numbers which made it kind of a slug on the long climbs. If youíre more focused on the gnarly descents, I would say strive would be the choice for you, just be prepared itís not very easy going on those long XC days.
    I will not do as much long XC rides. So you are saying you have never had a problem with the shifter? I ended up ordering 2018 Canyon Strive CF 7.0, I am pretty pumped. I hope the shifter works well.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,245
    I swore I'd never go back to FSR... but it's been a few years, maybe it got better.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-21-2017, 10:59 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-12-2015, 11:15 AM
  3. Nukeproof Mega TR vs Santa Cruz Blur TR
    By Frankie Figs in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-16-2014, 09:33 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-17-2014, 09:33 AM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-08-2013, 06:29 AM

Members who have read this thread: 119

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.