Trail/light AM frame 29 or 26" ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trail/light AM frame 29 or 26" ?

Hi,

Slowly, slowly starting to plot a changeover of my Inbred back into rigid/singlespeed mode.

That is why I'm looking for trail/light AM build to fullfill the void.

Once, for brief time used to have original HL 5Spot and I loved it.

However since 2 years around I converted into big wheels. I'm not some kind of avid Big Wheel Evangelist but I must addmit that started to consider big wheeler FS as a first thing.

I'm already to old and to scared to do some stupid things on the bikes - like jumping and getting airborne - so I do not need masses of travel and slack angles.

I'm also on a budget so some options are tempting but too high for me.

At the moment, after some digging I'm considdering Giant Anthem X 29er with 120mm forks - there is good offer for framesets on Wiggle.
    I dismissed Titus Rockstar - not sure about carbon rear end - Niner Rip and Ventana ElRey - to expensive for me.

... or maybe should I go back to small wheels?

All input appreciated.

Cheers!
    I.
    LoMF syndrome...

meow meow
    ok, this could get messy, but if you are diggin the big wheels id stick with them. it sounds like you and i ride very similar and i am never going back to 26''. your best bet though is to try both sizes (perhaps all three!) and see what you like. if you are just looking to cruise the trails though 29 seems like a great option.

derp
    If you're already riding 29'' inch wheels and you like them, why change ? Unless you're able to get a nicer deal on a 26'' frame i say, keep yourself on the big wheels.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm just back from my 3rd ride on my Kona Satori. Still getting used to it but what a great bike. I havent even used all the travel yet-lol. I had been on a short travel 29er all year so I have to get used to bashing over things again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    For trail/ light AM why not Trance 29er over the Anthem 29er?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanMTB View Post

I'm already to old and to scared to do some stupid things on the bikes - like jumping and getting airborne - so I do not need masses of travel and slack angles.

Cheers!
    I.
    Scared I can believe, but you're never too old, and "masses of travel" isn't a jumping requirement. Really, are you implying anyone that jumps is stupid? Slopestyle guys are sending it HUGE w/4 and 5" bikes (and even hard tails). The best input is going to be from yourself by test riding as many bikes as possible. I can't imaging ever buying one bike over another based on internet advice. I know you're on a budget, but if you loved your HL 5 Spot you'd be blown away by a DW version...

mtbr member
    650b

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by j__h View Post
    For trail/ light AM why not Trance 29er over the Anthem 29er?
    Might be a good option, but at the begining I won't find good offer. It would be closer to RRP. For Anthem found 25% off...

Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Scared I can believe, but you're never too old, and "masses of travel" isn't a jumping requirement. Really, are you implying anyone that jumps is stupid? Slopestyle guys are sending it HUGE w/4 and 5" bikes (and even hard tails). The best input is going to be from yourself by test riding as many bikes as possible. I can't imaging ever buying one bike over another based on internet advice. I know you're on a budget, but if you loved your HL 5 Spot you'd be blown away by a DW version...
    What I want to say that for most reckles slopstyle guys I might be quite comfortable a father in my age. I'm not particulary ancient but with each passing year it is harder and harder to overcome doubts and demons.
    In general the youger you are the less remores you have over double or drop.
    Mainly refering to myself, do not want to stomp on anybody's pride
    DW Spot is nice but again expensive one. I know that there is a lot of bike for the money but that is quite big money for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristatos View Post
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Good call but I'm after FS.

As I already mentioned not feeling a necesity of having another big wheeler. Bike is for riding, not for making philosophy...

Cheers!
    I.
    LoMF syndrome...

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Ivan - what kind of trails do you ride? Tight and twisty or wide open and fast? Context helps
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Hi,
    i'd say that most of the trails I'm riding are rather classical english trails. Rather open with odd technical sections for a good measure. Sometimes some woodland twisties. But mainly open rock/grass/mud based.
    Once a year I also tend to visit my homeland. Polish mountains are like a small Alps

Cheers!
    I.
    LoMF syndrome...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    650b
    +1..

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanMTB View Post
    Hi,
    i'd say that most of the trails I'm riding are rather classical english trails. Rather open with odd technical sections for a good measure. Sometimes some woodland twisties. But mainly open rock/grass/mud based.
    Once a year I also tend to visit my homeland. Polish mountains are like a small Alps

Cheers!
    I.
    Ivan,

Then something with a nice tight wheelbase. English trails need good mud clearance and something that handles tight twisty tech. View bikes that handle in say Colorado or Utah or enduro type bikes that are good for Alps wide - open style riding with skepticism. Also because your weather is so demanding find something with good strong local support for warranty or breakages
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Hi,

By no means I'm trail centre regulars so twisty trails are not my main big rides terrain.
    For local, woodland singletracks and other stuff I'll keep Inbred.
    I aggree about mud clearance and other related issues.

What I really need is bike for Lake District, Wales and Scotland trips.

Cheers!
    I.
    LoMF syndrome...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I don't know what kind of support Salsa has overseas but their Spearfish and Horsethief bikes are looking really sweet for 2013. For the price I think you can get a lot of bike. I had a Spearfish but sold it to help fund my Tallboy LTc build. Loved that bike but I was pushing it beyond it's intended purpose. I have a buddy who is on a 2012 Horsethief and loves it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Im still on a 26" however the new Specialized carve pro with that nice Fox front fork really has caught my attention.

Kind of wish it was a 650B setup and I think it would be a easier decision.

mtbr member
    get the bike that will minimize your "too old too scared attitude" and maximize your fun and confidence.

sticking with 29 or 26 doesn't really matter if your comfortable with your skills and style of riding. seriously, it's like liquor or wine with the wheel size. drink what gets you comfortably drunk!
    Last edited by 53119; 08-23-2012 at 10:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm still loving my 26" dipping my toe in the 29" water might mean i have to spend more!

mtbr member
    Cheers chaps!

Had a good stir now and plenty to think about.

Regards.
    I.
    LoMF syndrome...

Members who have read this thread: 0