mtbr member
    Jun 2018

A Trail/DJ bike?

There seems to be very few bicycles that are specifically designed as a trail/dirt jumping hybrid. I'd like to know what bikes others are riding for these needs/ what would they recommend?

Here's a list of bikes that I'm looking at:

Specialized Stumpjumper ST 27.5
    YT Jeffsy 27.5
    Kona Honzo 29
    Marin San Quentin
    Nukeproof Scout 27.5
    Kona Explosif

What else would you recommend (max budget 3K CAD)? Additional thoughts?

The trails I ride are fairly tame so I'm not concerned about which one will be the most capable. My main focus is which of these bikes will feel the most at home on the jumps and playful on the trails.

*Dream Bike*

Transition Throttle

mtbr member
    I'm sure you'll get a lot of constructive responses, including suggestions not on your list. So, here's mine.

I'm only jumping in because you listed the Jeffsey, so you're apparently open to a consumer direct purchase. Also, I recently considered the Jeffsey as well. I too looked for something 'playful', but trail capable (not high on your list of requirements). I went with a Whyte T-130. Is is very playful, despite its long feel when sitting on it, thanks to its short chainstay. As for jumps, I'll assume you mean flow trail stuff, table tops, etc. I recently had 3 straight days on flow to put the T-130 through things. The T-130 really came alive! It felt low, was fast, stable in the turns, and sprung like a bunny on the jumps. First passes on flow trails I've never ridden felt like trails I've been riding for years. Very confident feel. And yes, it is trail capable. The 130mm travel it has feels and plays like it has more when you need it. Not sure if "trail/dirt jumping hybrid" is a true classification (yet?), but the T-130 is a jack of all trades trail bike, for sure. As for your list, I can't speak to any except the YT. My opinion, the Jeffsey isn't as playful or as confident feeling as the T-130. Great bike, though.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    None of those bikes are even remotely aimed at dirt jumping. Are just talking about hitting jumps you come across on MTB trails rather than actually 'dirt jumping'?

If you're talking real DJs, then you should pick up a trail bike for trail riding and an dedicated DJ bike for DJing. Could easily do that within your budget.

Or if you're still set on having only one bike for everything, the closest thing to what you're looking for would be along the lines of a slopestyle bike.

Picture of dirt jumps for reference.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thought that was a strange post and an even stranger list of bikes in connection with "dirt jumping." Must be a nomenclature problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    Thought that was a strange post and an even stranger list of bikes in connection with "dirt jumping." Must be a nomenclature problem.
    Yeah I was thinking the same.

"Slopestyle" bike pics also for reference...

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Ebike Evangelist!!
    Sep 2005
    Dartmoor has you covered if you really want a Dirt jumper, and gasp, it can even be ridden on trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Trail/DJ bike?-img_20180519_134538-pano.jpg  

A Trail/DJ bike?-img_20181011_120625.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Just out of curiosity, I looked at OP's posting history. It appears that the trails s/he rides do have some jumps and drops, but normal trail stuff.

It appears that there is also a BMX park at one of the trail complexes that does indeed have dirt jumps and possibly a pump track, probably with the usual rolling-type jumps as well as true dirt jumps.

So, OP, no bike exists that is a trail/DJ hybrid if you are talking true dirt jumps like slaphead posted. On the other hand, you can ride the pump track and some of the jumps on just about any mtb with varying levels of success dependent more on your skill than on the bike. Most view riding pump tracks and doing the jumps as building skills for regular trail rides, so doing X-games style dirt jumps that dont appear in real life isn't relevant.

tl;dr "trail" or "all purpose" mtb riding and true dirt jumping have zero overlap

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just out of curiosity, I looked at OP's posting history. It appears that the trails s/he rides do have some jumps and drops, but normal trail stuff.

It appears that there is also a BMX park at one of the trail complexes that does indeed have dirt jumps and possibly a pump track, probably with the usual rolling-type jumps as well as true dirt jumps.

So, OP, no bike exists that is a trail/DJ hybrid if you are talking true dirt jumps like slaphead posted. On the other hand, you can ride the pump track and some of the jumps on just about any mtb with varying levels of success dependent more on your skill than on the bike. Most view riding pump tracks and doing the jumps as building skills for regular trail rides, so doing X-games style dirt jumps that dont appear in real life isn't relevant.
    Mainly true, besides the dirt jumps not appearing in real life part. They're around, you just need to know how to find them.

To build on that, I would definitely NOT go with 29" wheels or FS for pump/BMX track riding. Though I do see some people do well with them, it's way harder than on a small wheeled HT or rigid bike. Also, as someone who built and maintains a local pumptrack, big knobby-ass tires tear the crap out of the place. Consider doing the local builders a favor and running non-aggressive tires if you're riding groomed stuff.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Happened to stumble upon this, which may give OP some ideas. Video: How hard can you ride on a hardtail- Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I'm no expert on dirt jumping, so my opinion may not be valid.

But if I were looking for a bike to ride trails, and pump track style stuff, I'd be looking at one of the aggressive trail hardtails like the NukeProof scout, Marin San Quentin, Whyte 901/905, etc.

Other "trail" hardtails you don't have listed:

Norco Fluid HT
    Norco Torrent
    Salsa TimberJack
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Whyte 901
    Whyte 905
    Commencal Meta AM HT
    Trek Roscoe
    Diamondback Mason 2

Of the list above, I think that the NukeProof scout, Whyte 901, Marin San Quentin, and Commencal Meta AM HT are the best values (at least on paper).

From what I understand, the bigger 27.5 tires, and extra fork travel will be a hinderance over a true DJ bike. But compared to a FS bike, you'll keep the pumping efficiency of a DJ bike (hardtail). And when on the trail, the bigger 27.5 tires will remove a bit more trail chatter than a normal hardtail, and with the right rider, those plus hardtails can ride just about any trail out there.

Anyway, good luck making a decision.

Cheers .

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

tl;dr "trail" or "all purpose" mtb riding and true dirt jumping have zero overlap
    Thanks for taking the time to write this, it was a very helpful post. I was referring to true dirt jumps like slapped posted. Please allow me to alter my original question.

What Trail/XC bike (for 3K CAD or less) do you think would be the most comfortable hitting dirt jumps? I semi regularly hit dirt jumps on my entry level XC bike from 2004. Surely I can find a modern 27.5 bike that is better suited for jumping? I also own a dedicated dirt jumper, but I hardly ever ride it. I'm just looking for a bike to hit a few small jumps with on the way home from a trail ride.

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noremac11 View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to write this, it was a very helpful post. I was referring to true dirt jumps like slapped posted. Please allow me to alter my original question.

What Trail/XC bike (for 3K CAD or less) do you think would be the most comfortable hitting dirt jumps? I semi regularly hit dirt jumps on my entry level XC bike from 2004. Surely I can find a modern 27.5 bike that is better suited for jumping? I also own a dedicated dirt jumper, but I hardly ever ride it. I'm just looking for a bike to hit a few small jumps with on the way home from a trail ride.

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions.
    What model/brand is your original XC bike? Newer model 27.5s are increasingly leaning towards slack trail geometry, which is totally the opposite direction of a DJ bike. You may be better off upgrading your original bike, or searching for an older 26er hardtail frame to build up. Putting a taller fork on one seemed to do well for me.

And FWIW, the Explosif is no longer available, unfortunately. Kona has no 2019 model. I have a 2016, and while it does Ok on dirt jumps, it still feels to long/large for that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I wouldn't describe a slopestyle bike as a Trail/DJ hybrid, because there's no design compromises to make it a better trail bike. It's simply a dirt jumper that's designed for huge jumps.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm not interested in a 26 inch wheel bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Noremac11 View Post
    I wouldn't describe a slopestyle bike as a Trail/DJ hybrid, because there's no design compromises to make it a better trail bike.
    IMO, both suspension and front brakes help on the trail.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Ebike Evangelist!!
    Sep 2005
    None.

If you are referring to real Djs, nothing beats a purpose built steed. You will compromise on the Djs or on the trails. Look for an old sx stumpjumper or similar 26" wheeled fun for the least compromise. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    IMO, both suspension and front brakes help on the trail.
    LOL

mtbr member
    Some features to look for in a bike that make it more playful and capable of DJ-ing: short chainstay, shorter seat tube, lower top tube. These will make the bike more maneuverable, easier to manual, and drop the seat lower (if you use a dropper).

Since you're considering a few full suspension bikes, have you looked at the Kona Process 134 SE? This bike is definitely on the more playful side.

mtbr member
    The older Slayer SS's are perfect for what you're looking for (as is a Killswitch) but if you're hung up on no 26" wheels then I'd just get a Chromag Stylus 27.5 hardtail and call it good... you would be hard pressed to find a better jumper than that and Canadian made too.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mbtr member
    It's weird seeing hardtails and FS bikes in the same list. With hardtails... if it isn't a weenie build, and you feel confident... go huck it. FS adds a bunch more nuance.

I'll add the transition scout to your list, along with any and every canfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    The older Slayer SS's are perfect for what you're looking for (as is a Killswitch) but if you're hung up on no 26" wheels then I'd just get a Chromag Stylus 27.5 hardtail and call it good... you would be hard pressed to find a better jumper than that and Canadian made too.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    It might be because i'm tall and sloppy, but i STRUGGLE hitting natural features like OP mentioned on a SS bike. They're so short!
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    So I had the same dilemma for the last few months, and all I had available was commencal HT AM, and Marín San Quentin, I went with the commencal origin because it has 150mm of travel and it is what I need, there's no downhills in the Caribbean where I live but I wanted it to be more "plush" per Se, If you do more jumps than trail go for the San Quentin 3 since it's 130mm and won't hinder your approach angle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GabTheAce View Post
    So I had the same dilemma for the last few months, and all I had available was commencal HT AM, and Marín San Quentin, I went with the commencal origin because it has 150mm of travel and it is what I need, there's no downhills in the Caribbean where I live but I wanted it to be more "plush" per Se, If you do more jumps than trail go for the San Quentin 3 since it's 130mm and won't hinder your approach angle.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

The Marin San Quentin seems like a great option. I wish it had a steeper HTA (67-68 degrees) so it was more of an Aggressive XC/DJ bike than an "enduro hardtail" that you can take to the jumps.

I really like the Commencal HT AM and Chromag bikes, but I'd prefer something with a smaller wheelbase, and shorter travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    The santa cruz chameleon, salsa timberjack, and diamondback mason 2 all have 67-68 degree head tube angles, if that's what you're looking for.

Also, I think the Marin nail trail is similar? Not as sure on that one though.

The white 901/905, Marin san Quentin, commencal meta am ht, and nukeproof scout, are all more aggressive, with ~65ish degree hta's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Come to think of it, I've seen some people jump well with Chameleons.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

CoolArrow
    I saw someone mention Dartmoor...

I have the Hornet, which will accept a long travel forks (I'm running a 170mm now), is slack, short back end and rides like s hard tail version of my Spartan.

It's not super light, but not a tank either. 142mm rear axle, no boost. Beefy tough frame you can really punish. Love mine.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website