TOO SCARED to manual :(- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

TOO SCARED to manual :(

Hi all,

Is there a "safe" way to practice manuals?

I can wheelie all day with no problems but every time I try to manual I cannot control my balance and fall off. It has reached to the stage now where I am even too scared to practice manuals as landing butt even on grass hurts

So...
    is there a safe way to practice manuals?

cheers

mtbr member
    May 2010
    google manual machine

Downcountry AF
    On a pump track (indoor or outdoors) with a Dirt Jumper. Perfect combination for learning to manual.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Flat pedals I hope.
    You're covering the brake right? Try taking up the slack in the brake lever so the engagement is quicker when you feel its going over. Make sure you're using proper form and not trying to pull up with your arms. Pump down and swing back in one smooth motion. Start small and gradually increase until you find the balance point. If you can wheelie well, you should know what you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    google manual machine
    Build that one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyM77LW9qWI

Then add front strap like that one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-XE4b-LVxo

mtbr member
    The manual machine wont work in this instance. His problem is not technique its overcomming the fear once rolling.

Find a mild grass slope. Put some flat pedals on, knee shin pads. Make sure you rear break works, test it before every manual, Then you know it works!

Then manual until you start to fall over backwards. Do this on purpose. Use the brake to stop you falling over backwards. Once you are happy you can control yourself from falling over backwards , Slowly apply less brake find the ballance point and add more speed. If you ditch it a few times on the grass its no big deal.

Then once you have the technique down take your manual to the road/trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Keep one finger on your rear brake and learn to use it. It's nearly impossible to loop out with a quick pull of the rear brake unless you aren't moving much at all. Also use flat pedals. If it helps you feel more comfortable practice bailing off the back while doing a wheelie with flat pedals.

You can always strap a thick pillow to your butt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    The manual machine wont work in this instance. His problem is not technique its overcomming the fear once rolling.

Find a mild grass slope. Put some flat pedals on, knee shin pads. Make sure you rear break works, test it before every manual, Then you know it works!

Then manual until you start to fall over backwards. Do this on purpose. Use the brake to stop you falling over backwards. Once you are happy you can control yourself from falling over backwards , Slowly apply less brake find the ballance point and add more speed. If you ditch it a few times on the grass its no big deal.

Then once you have the technique down take your manual to the road/trails.
    ok cheers. I will try and practice this method.
    The thing is I'm not really used to using rear brakes for wheelies either because even when I feather It, the front will fall down immediately.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    Keep one finger on your rear brake and learn to use it. It's nearly impossible to loop out with a quick pull of the rear brake unless you aren't moving much at all. Also use flat pedals. If it helps you feel more comfortable practice bailing off the back while doing a wheelie with flat pedals.

You can always strap a thick pillow to your butt.
    do you think I will find the balance point easier going on a faster speed than a slower speed?
    btw I bail out of wheelies all the time since I rarely use the rear brake but If feel that I have more "control" when I wheelie than when I manual. eg: when I am munualing at high speed I cannot bail out. I

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by admiral01 View Post
    when I am munualing at high speed I cannot bail out.

I would recommend practicing at slower speeds that are easy to bail on until you get it down and then gradually increase speed.
    I brake for stinkbugs

aka bOb
    I built a manual machine and got very good at it but none of it actually carried over to an actual manual. Looking back now I think I should have taken the chain off.

mtbr member
    Get used to applying the brake, You dont want to loop out onto the tarnac ar 50 kph tearing a high speed manual down a street past some hot chicks.

PS some brakes are better than others. Shimano's are a lot harder than guides or avids.

But it still can be done. Go intermediate speed. Too slow and yourl flop to the side, too fast and it will hurt if you stuff it up.

PS practice the fall over backwards brake apply doing wheelies slow first. Then move to the manual.

mtbr member
    Ultimately high speed is best. Just more pain if you stuff up.

mtbr member
    Get used to applying the brake, You dont want to loop out onto the tarnac ar 50 kph tearing a high speed manual down a street past some hot chicks.
    Pain is temporary and chicks dig scars.

trekker
    Jul 2005
    Ultimately high speed is best. Just more pain if you stuff up.
    This. High speed has a better gyro effect, especially when leaning left/right, but ultimately you'll still want to work up to it. Intermediate speed seems to be a decent compromise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    This will sound weird, but my son struggled with just doing wheelies for a long time.
    One day we changed out his seat due to damage, and he tried a wheelie and immediately commented it was far easier to balance.

He used to drop the front wheel consistently after 15-20 feet. Shortly after the new seat, he hit 175 feet (ran out of room in the parking lot).

He never commented that the seat felt different during rides, so I really don't know what to "blame" for the change, but I'd have to assume seat angle (?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by admiral01 View Post

So...
    is there a safe way to practice manuals?

cheers
    No dig no whine