mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Titus El Guapo 29" wheel size comparison - 29" vs 27.5

So a buddy of mine both have medium sized Titus El Guapo 29 frames. I've had mine since last fall and he finished his build in early spring. I'm set up with a 29" fork and wheelset and he is set up with a 27.5 fork and wheelset. A few things first, we know the Titus history and know this isn't the same company at all. Heard all about it a few times already. This is still a good frame regardless who made it. It's got a 67.5 head angle, 140mm rear travel and a steep seat angle and relatively short chainstays. For us being in the states and On-One being in the UK, both customer service and delivery times have been great. Both of us had our frames in four days with free delivery. I had a warranty issue with the rear end when I received the frame and I had a new rear triangle in just under two weeks. Any misconceptions about distance equals shitty customer service aren't true in this situation.

Anyways, My buddy has been riding an El Guapo 26" for the last few years. It's a burly bike that can handle it's share of tech but climbed well for the amount of travel it had. He's 5'7"-8" ish and decided to get the 29" frame and build it with smaller wheels. I'm about 5'10. We both went with medium frames as he had a chance to get a fit on mine before he ordered his. He has a direct mount stem to compensate for reach length. Works great for him.

We decided to switch bikes and see how the other wheel size feels on that frame. After a pedal switch and air pressure adjustments, we were good to go. Right off the bat I noticed the smaller wheelsize differences. The smaller wheels were quicker in the turns and accelerated faster. He's significantly more fit than I am and I left him in the dust initially. Our warmup mini segment was about a mile of tight trail packed into a small area. A map of it looks like an intestine with all the contouring and sharp turns. It has some whoops in and out of a creekbed and a couple of punchy climbs with a huge chute at the end. Nothing really hard but totally played to the strengths of the smaller wheels. I wasn't putting any more effort than I did with my bike.

After that we took a roomier trail that starts as a rough XC trail and quickly gets tougher after around the halfway point. In the more open beginning, the advantages of the larger wheels started to show. Very noticeable rollover and he found it much easier to maintain momentum. All no brainers. He also found the bike sits higher and had better clearance. He didn't like the way the bike felt with the larger wheels. He says he feels like he is on top of the bike and not sitting in it. Some of that may be fitment issues too as I have a different cockpit than him. It wasn't as flickable in the corners and on drops and jumps.

I felt the bike was too small as the stem was too short for me. Plus I was getting more pedal strikes as the BB was lower. I had a harder time clearing some climbs normally I don't have a problem with. Both climbed well seated as it has a horst link rear and pedal bob was minimal standing. He has a Fox DPS rear shock and I've got a Monarch RT3 with the Debonair sleeve. For this ride, neither of us could tell the difference performance wise after we got pressure sorted out. Both are good small bump wise but didn't go off any big drops. I noticed there was less wheel flex on his bike. Smaller wheels and larger fork stanchions may have a bit to do with that.

His thoughts about riding my bike versus other 29"ers are that it rides better than a Pivot 429 due to a slacker head angle and burlier build and about the same as an SB-95 but with better small bump compliance.

Here's his bike.

And here's mine.

Here's them together.

Last edited by MrMentallo; 06-21-2016 at 05:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

What do you recommend? 29 or 27.5

Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    So a buddy of mine both have medium sized Titus El Guapo 29 frames. I've had mine since last fall and he finished his build in early spring. I'm set up with a 29" fork and wheelset and he is set up with a 27.5 fork and wheelset. A few things first, we know the Titus history and know this isn't the same company at all. Heard all about it a few times already. This is still a good frame regardless who made it. It's got a 67.5 head angle, 140mm rear travel and a steep seat angle and relatively short chainstays. For us being in the states and On-One being in the UK, both customer service and delivery times have been great. Both of us had our frames in four days with free delivery. I had a warranty issue with the rear end when I received the frame and I had a new rear triangle in just under two weeks. Any misconceptions about distance equals shitty customer service aren't true in this situation.

Anyways, My buddy has been riding an El Guapo 26" for the last few years. It's a burly bike that can handle it's share of tech but climbed well for the amount of travel it had. He's 5'7"-8" ish and decided to get the 29" frame and build it with smaller wheels. I'm about 5'10. We both went with medium frames as he had a chance to get a fit on mine before he ordered his. He has a direct mount stem to compensate for reach length. Works great for him.

We decided to switch bikes and see how the other wheel size feels on that frame. After a pedal switch and air pressure adjustments, we were good to go. Right off the bat I noticed the smaller wheelsize differences. The smaller wheels were quicker in the turns and accelerated faster. He's significantly more fit than I am and I left him in the dust initially. Our warmup mini segment was about a mile of tight trail packed into a small area. A map of it looks like an intestine with all the contouring and sharp turns. It has some whoops in and out of a creekbed and a couple of punchy climbs with a huge chute at the end. Nothing really hard but totally played to the strengths of the smaller wheels. I wasn't putting any more effort than I did with my bike.

After that we took a roomier trail that starts as a rough XC trail and quickly gets tougher after around the halfway point. In the more open beginning, the advantages of the larger wheels started to show. Very noticeable rollover and he found it much easier to maintain momentum. All no brainers. He also found the bike sits higher and had better clearance. He didn't like the way the bike felt with the larger wheels. He says he feels like he is on top of the bike and not sitting in it. Some of that may be fitment issues too as I have a different cockpit than him. It wasn't as flickable in the corners and on drops and jumps.

I felt the bike was too small as the stem was too short for me. Plus I was getting more pedal strikes as the BB was lower. I had a harder time clearing some climbs normally I don't have a problem with. Both climbed well seated as it has a horst link rear and pedal bob was minimal standing. He has a Fox DPS rear shock and I've got a Monarch RT3 with the Debonair sleeve. For this ride, neither of us could tell the difference performance wise after we got pressure sorted out. Both are good small bump wise but didn't go off any big drops. I noticed there was less wheel flex on his bike. Smaller wheels and larger fork stanchions may have a bit to do with that.

His thoughts about riding my bike versus other 29"ers are that it rides better than a Pivot 429 due to a slacker head angle and burlier build and about the same as an SB-95 but with better small bump compliance.

Here's his bike.

And here's mine.

Here's them together.

Hello Mr mentallo.

I bought a EG29 recently, but I have some doubts about this frame, because normally I have been used my frame with 29 inch wheels but I would like to change my wheelset but I am not sure if in the future I will change the current frame to 27.5, so I would like to know if in regard of your experience it's ok to set up EG29 with 27.5 wheels and 29 fork also I could not see the pictures you uploaded, could you share them again.

I appreciate your cooperation.

Regards.

Short-Change-Hero
    you might be better off trying the manufacturer forums. you are responding to a 3yr old thread that had no responses.