Tire recommendation for north GA (USA)?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Tire recommendation for north GA (USA)?

I have a bike on its way to me now, and I'm wanting to line up what type of tires I might want to buy for it. I haven't bought tires in a few years, so I don't know what the best bang-for-the-buck is in tires, currently.

I ride technical singletrack in north Georgia, so there is that nasty ubiquitous red clay, often lots of roots, with some rocks, gravel, pine straw and leaves. 26" x ~2.1 wheels, full suspension bike. Not tubeless tires. I'm old, not an athlete, and not a speed demon. I just like to ride challenging terrain. I am on a very limited budget, so they must be relatively inexpensive.

So, north Georgia riders who don't spend lots of money on tires, what are your current favorites?

Trying to be helpful
    I've never found a tire good in clay, I would think if you did, it would suck everywhere else and vice verse.

I'll likely get flamed for this, but here goes. It's an old school tire, but a classic and its cheap in price, but I always thought they performed well - Panaracer Fire XC Pro

Here is a link to place that sells them as a 2 pack for @37 + $10 shipping to zip 30003

https://www.thebikesmiths.com/produc...nt=44550844562

They arent the latest greatest, no sticky rubber, but the compound will wear well and the thread design has merit. Honestly if they made a new model that was a 2.5 with good rubber I'd ride the heck out of it.

good luck
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

Cycologist
    What part of north Georgia? I'm in Marietta and I'll give you some 26" tires I have laying around. I'm occasionally up in Blue Ridge if you're up that way but probably won't be up there for awhile.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I'm in Acworth. As far as I can tell, the tires are still quite usable, so it's not l like I have to get tires immediately in order to ride it. I just wanted to get some ideas on what to look for when it comes time to get new tires.

Cycologist
    Ah, well the clay around here packs down really hard and we mostly end up with a little loose over hardpack. If it doesn't rain for a long time, the surface starts to break off and get a little more loose. Occasionally you may find some slick clay surfaces on hills after it has rained recently. But for the most part, most riders around here don't ride tires with really big knobs. I have Vittoria Mezcals on my full suspension 29er, had Crossmarks before that. I have Maxxis High Roller IIs on my 26er hardtail but I'd say they are knobbier than I need most of the time.

If you really want to keep the price down and you're not concerned about riding fast and cornering close to the limit, the Fire XCs Guy.Ford recommended seem like a good deal.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Good chance I will get those mentioned above. Hard to beat that price. The bike I just sold was on its 2nd set of Velociraptors, and I liked those pretty well.

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by aerobat66 View Post
    Good chance I will get those mentioned above. Hard to beat that price. The bike I just sold was on its 2nd set of Velociraptors, and I liked those pretty well.
    Funny you should mention Velociraptors that was another tire that came to mind, but I liked the Fire better and itís one tire as opposed to a set of individual tires front and rear like the velociraptors. So I could buy 3 tires keep 1 extra around one for a spare where if I went with the Velociraptors I had to buy 4 and keep a set. Gotta be smart when trying to be frugal with money.

Sent from #THELEGENDMTB using Tapatalk on an iPhone
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Update:

I got those tires shown in post #2 above. I am very pleased with them, having tried them out at Blankets Creek yesterday. No complaints at all from me. They seem to perform as well, or better than the Velociraptors I used to have. And at that price, they are an outstanding value.

Thanks for that recommendation, Guy.Ford.

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by aerobat66 View Post
    Update:

I got those tires shown in post #2 above. I am very pleased with them, having tried them out at Blankets Creek yesterday. No complaints at all from me. They seem to perform as well, or better than the Velociraptors I used to have. And at that price, they are an outstanding value.

Thanks for that recommendation, Guy.Ford.
    Thats awesome news, thanks for the follow up. I really loved that tire, so versatile sort of a jack of all, master of none.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor