Thread: Tire pressures

Your killing my Strava

Tire pressures

I am running a 2.35 front and a 2.2 rear. Just curious what you all are running for tire pressures with tubes. I am running 40psi and seems like the front wants to wash everywhere

mtbr member
    Do a search...
    Otherwise, it depends too much on weight, tyre (differs a lot between manufacturers), riding style etc to bother comparing.
    Mess around with your setup and find what works for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I weigh 220 and run 30 in the front and 32 in the rear, Running 2.35 nevegals up front and 2.1 slant six in the back. I love the combination and could probably lower the pressure but I am happy with this, don't wanna worry about flats when I am out in the middle of nowhere, even though I carry a patch kit and pump with me.
    Still learning how to keep the rubber side down.

Your killing my Strava
    I am 165 without gear...I am running specialized tires...I am not worried about flats. I am worried about sucking wind on the uphills

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    what specialized tires? what kind of terrain?

regardless of that you should still be able to safely run 30psi front and rear. i would rather have better traction at speeds when descending and work a little harder on the climbs. besides it will only make your engine stronger.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm still new to AM so why do you use a wider tire up front? sorry if it's off topic I just saw that and had to ask

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post

If you asked me 18 months ago when I was 208 lbs, my answer would have been very different--35-40 PSI front, 40-45 PSI rear.
    right now my weight is at about 208 riding an enduro in so cal's soft over hard pack conditions with a Butcher control up front and a Purgatory control in the rear and i like about 32psi front and rear.

these suggestions are gonna get you closer to a good tire pressure, but ultimately you will have to do some experimenting.
    try the 30 psi f/r. if its too soft for you climbing bump it up, if the front is still washing out try going even lower up front. if you pinch flat you know you went too low.

Your killing my Strava
    Ok for my front tire it is a 2.3 Specialized Clutch Control,
    rear tire 2.2 Purgatory Control,
    As far as terrain I will do everything, loose fire road down hills, smooth flowy single track and rocky climbs

Helmetless Crasher
    Depends on what you want the tire to do and where. For wet soft loose rocky/rooty tech climbs less rear pressure is better. For long hard-pack fireroad climbs more pressure is better. But for large gravel, I find lower pressure to be advantageous as the tire is able to conform to the surface and grip/roll better.

Gotta play around with it

mtbr member
    Just for reference:

I'm 175 with gear and run tubeless on a 5" travel bike.
    Front: 2.4 Mutano @ 25psi
    Rear: 2.3 Weirwolf @ 28psi

The Mutano on the front will slip around if the pressure gets over 30psi. The rear seems to ride smoother at lower pressure, but will grip well even at high pressures.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The ride quality must be horrible at 40psi. I am also 165lb dry. I run 30psi +/-2psi with 2.3-2.4 tires regardless of make or model. I always run on the low side of 30psi unless I expect sharp rocks and high speeds. 40psi seems way too much no matter your weight or tire. I figure if I never pinch flat then I'm running too much air. If I flat more than 3-4 times a year, then I need a little more air.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Tyres and PSI

I'm fairly new to all the technical applications of tyres, size, and psi. Used to be I didn't give any of those things a second thought. Now that I'm getting into mtn biking more, this is what I can add:

I am 170lbs soaking wet.
    Front: 2.4 Maxxis Ardent (25-30 PSI)
    Rear: 2.35 Maxxis Minion DHR (30 PSI)

During the summer and dry riding conditions, I'll run slightly smaller tyres at about the same PSI.

Front: 2.25 Maxxis Ardent
    Rear: 2.10 Maxxis Ignitor

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I always run less in my front tire. Usually from the feel but when I check it its usually 30 front and 35 rear, I like low pressure unless im on flat hardpack of corse

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The simple answer is that I basically reduce the pressure everyride until I get pinch flats and then I increase it until I don't. The pressure is different for different tires, and terrain.
    -elake

"I don't half-a$$ anything, for me it's whole-a$$ or nothing."
    -elake

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyl26 View Post
    I am 165 without gear...I am running specialized tires...I am not worried about flats. I am worried about sucking wind on the uphills
    Running front pressure around 30psi won't slow your uphills much, if at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I weigh 150 and run about 18 - 21psi front and rear with Bontrager XR4 2.35" tires setup tubeless. It's been pretty solid without any noticeable tire squirm except once when I landed on a bank which cause the front tire to roll and loose some air. With tubes I've never gone below 25psi, but with tires this big I wouldn't go over 30psi either. On my XC bike with tires setup tubeless on Stans rims I run between 18 - 24 psi depending on the tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I am 1.75 75kg and i have a set of 2.25 schwalbe noby nic tubless.My bike is hardtail and i run about 2.5-2.8 bar depending on the trail.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyl26 View Post
    What has this got to do with sucking wind on the uphills? Higher pressure is not faster when riding off-road.

Keep lowering the pressure until you either pinch flat or the tire feels squirmy. Just above that is the optimum pressure.

At 165 lbs on 2.2 and 2.3 tires, I would start at 28 front, 32 rear, and start lowering it front there.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Stumpy fsr carbon EVO, control casings, 2.3 butcher front & 2.2 purgatory rear, tubeless, 175lbs

Been riding on Specialized tires for about a year now and have settled on these pressures.
    24-25psi front and 28-29psi rear... i have tried running higher pressures but to be honest i really feel like traction suffered.