Thinking about new drive train...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Thinking about new drive train...

Im currently running a 3x8 but never get into my granny gears... I do alot of trail riding, dirt jumping, and some road riding to get to where im going. So I like my midrange and big chaingring and never use my little chaingring.

When I took my bike to the shop to discuss this... I was suggested to go to a 2x9 but would have to replace my complete drive train (expensive). I was curious if it possible to just replace my crankset, front dr, and shifter in order to accomplish a 2x8 without having to really mess with anything in the rear? to me it would be cost effective and achieve what im trying to gain

any suggestions or advice?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    all it will take is a screw driver and a bash to make your crankset a 2x, just take off the outer ring put on a bash, adjust your h limit screw down so you can't over shift onto your bash. presto you have a 2x8 set up for cheap

edit: misread your post; forget the bash, just take off the granny but you'll have to pull the crank to do that..

mtbr member
    If you want to go 2x9, there is a great deal on an x9 complete drivetrain at pricepoint right now, though you will still have to buy a bashguard: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/192...AX99%20KIT.htm
    If you just want to go 2x8, just remove your big ring (which on the only crankset i bought that was a 3x9, i did not have to take the crank arm off as suggested my the above poster, I was able to slide it off and a bashguard on), and then throw on a bashguard. No need to change your shifters, just know that if you try to shift to the big ring your derailleur will still try, so you just have to be quick to shift back to the middle ring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ExCactus
    If you just want to go 2x8, just remove your big ring (which on the only crankset i bought that was a 3x9, i did not have to take the crank arm off as suggested my the above poster, I was able to slide it off and a bashguard on), and then throw on a bashguard. No need to change your shifters, just know that if you try to shift to the big ring your derailleur will still try, so you just have to be quick to shift back to the middle ring.
    he said he wants to take off the granny not the big ring. If you could get a granny off your crankset without pulling it off you just might be the next Chris Angel

T.W.O
    Consider me the next Criss Angel then.....

------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler243 View Post
    he said he wants to take off the granny not the big ring. If you could get a granny off your crankset without pulling it off you just might be the next Chris Angel
    Haha, whoops. I guess my lack of attention is due to how hilly it is out here in the PNW, I never had much use for a big ring so I assumed others didn't either unless they were on logging roads or something

Oh, So Interesting!
    Go 1x whatever with a mrp g2 sl chainguide. If you don't use the granny, a single chainguide is a huge advantage.You can then get rid of the big and small chainring, the front derailleur and shifter. You won't miss them.

Members who have read this thread: 0