Is there a way to figure out what bikes use the Fox 34 Stepcast or filter on bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Is there a way to figure out what bikes use the Fox 34 Stepcast or filter on bikes

I'd like to filter on bikes using roughly 110 to 120mm of travel. I was thinking about that magic category of downcountry bikes just a touch more travel than a racer XC bike but not a full trailbike either. Perhaps some bikes like the IBIS ripley may qualify here but it has 130 and I'm just trying to see if there's anything better in the 110-120 range.

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz Tallboy: 130/120 (29" Wheels)
    Santa Cruz 5010: 130/130 (27.5 Wheels)
    Pivot 429 Trail: 130/120 (29" Wheels)

Unfortunately, I can't recommend a filter but these are some other bikes that appear to fit what you are looking for. Check Giant too.

mtbr member
    Vital MTB did this short travel 29er comparison.

Vital MTB Test Sessions: Five Slack, Short-Travel 29er Mountain Bikes Reviewed

I do not have any experience with Banshee, but the Phantom looks like a fun bike, bit of a pig though.

mtbr member
    Not really an all-mountain question. More of a general trail-bike or even XC question. The only way is to go to mfgrs' websites and see what they have and how they equip them. Often a given frame will be offered with various build kits featuring different forks, which on shorter travel bikes might include a 24 Step Cast as an option.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    Santa Cruz Tallboy: 130/120 (29" Wheels)
    Santa Cruz 5010: 130/130 (27.5 Wheels)
    Pivot 429 Trail: 130/120 (29" Wheels)

Unfortunately, I can't recommend a filter but these are some other bikes that appear to fit what you are looking for. Check Giant too.
    None of these bikes are between 110-120 unfortunately.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jank View Post
    None of these bikes are between 110-120 unfortunately.
    The pivot is 120mm. Unfortunately, any time you come up with a specific want, it's going to be hard to find an OEM bike that fits the bill. Pivot does sell frames (again). Although they intend the bike for a 130mm fork, I think a 120mm with a 10mm headset crown spacer would be a great setup, which would mean you could keep the stepcast and save some good weight. Same thing with Ibis Ripley and a bunch more.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This year the Trek Top Fuel is 115 rear.

https://www.bikemag.com/2020-bible-o...trek-top-fuel/

Against it is a non RC version of the Scott Spark. Like the 910. Which is 2.6 compatible. 120mm.

Formerly of Kent
    You could filter bikes by travel on something like GeometryGeeks.bike or Linkage Design.

Now, FINDING bikes that come specifically with a Fox 34 SC will be hard. I'd just look for bikes that have 120mm front ends. Swap out the fork if it comes with a SID 35 or something else.
    Death from Below.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    A lot of latest XC bikes are coming in a 100mm and 120mm version. I think a lot of designers are actually building their XC bikes around 120mm and adding a spacer to the shock to make it a 100mm bike.

Over the next couple of months we should be seeing a bunch of new XC bikes that were suppose debut for the Olympics. Pretty sure all of them will have a 120mm version.

But if I was hunting right now I think the Norco Revolver is best 120mm XC bike. Geometry is good, and the frame is built to last. Not lightest bike out there my any means but for a bike to ride hard all day long it is hard to beat. It does have Rock shocks which is mixed. (Good performance, not a reliable as fox but easier to fix than fox)
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    I'm finding XC rockets with 100mm SC forks and more trail oriented bikes with 130 front ends. I'm not finding that magic Step Cast fork equipped bike with 110-120, though.

Are you looking for a weight-weenyish build? I'm guessing bikes with 100mm rear ends have the best chance of having a fork like that.

The requirement for that fork is extremely specific, as far as ride type and quality. It seems much more XC than downcountry.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I'm finding XC rockets with 100mm SC forks and more trail oriented bikes with 130 front ends. I'm not finding that magic Step Cast fork equipped bike with 110-120, though.

Are you looking for a weight-weenyish build? I'm guessing bikes with 100mm rear ends have the best chance of having a fork like that.

The requirement for that fork is extremely specific, as far as ride type and quality. It seems much more XC than downcountry.
    There are dozens of models with 120mm 34s on them. Bikes that climb well and descend well.

Just about every major brand makes one. Yeti, Specialized, Cannondale, Santa Cruz, Intense, Orbea, Norco, Scott, Evil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    For some reason I thought the SB100 came with a 130. No wonder I liked the Trance more.