mtbr member

Tantrum Cycles Demo locations across the U.S.

Hi All,

In case you missed it, our Kickstarter is up and running until Jan 2, 2017:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ull-suspension

Toward that end, we're setting up a few demo rides in a few choice locations across the U.S. on the list are SoCal, sometime in Dec, possibly Denver area in Nov.

If there are serious buyers out there in a particular area, let me know. I'm in Indianapolis, so a days drive reaches many locations.

This weekend, Nov 11, 12, 13th, I plan to haunt some local trailheads. Maybe Rangeline in Anderson IN on Fri Eve, Brown County on Sat and Ft Ben on Sun.

Drop me a line with any interest and prospective locations.

thanks,

cheers,

Brian

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I can not say that you are sitting on your hands. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cadoretteboat View Post
    I can not say that you are sitting on your hands. Good luck.
    It's hard to ride that way.....

Hey, I spent a looong time getting ready for this, time to GO.

doing the impossible takes a bit of effort, it turns out

mtbr member
    If it can be broken, I'll break it.

I've broken every single frame I've ever had, so if it makes it 6 months from me, it's good to go!
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

Submit to your ride!
    Jan 2004
    Crap, I live in NE Ohio and Brown County is not too far away but a road trip won't work this weekend. Let me know if you want to come up here, my place is open if you'd like a place to stay for beer and home-cooked meals.

mtbr member
    I will be in Brown County, IN today Nov 12, at about noon. Silver tundra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    If it can be broken, I'll break it.

I've broken every single frame I've ever had, so if it makes it 6 months from me, it's good to go!
    I appreciate the offer. But the purpose of demo rides is not to actually break the (only 2 in the world) bikes on purpose. Although I do when testing.

But maybe you need to buy a stronger frame???? Damn hard rding motocrossers (see my history)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSlave View Post
    Crap, I live in NE Ohio and Brown County is not too far away but a road trip won't work this weekend. Let me know if you want to come up here, my place is open if you'd like a place to stay for beer and home-cooked meals.
    NE Ohio? Does that exist? Like Erie? I heard (and had offers) to do a demo at, I think a well know good trail network, I think near cleveland....

That's about a 5 hour drive...could happen...

Submit to your ride!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TantrumCycles View Post
    NE Ohio? Does that exist? Like Erie? I heard (and had offers) to do a demo at, I think a well know good trail network, I think near cleveland....

That's about a 5 hour drive...could happen...
    Yeah, near Cleveland. There's a "trail boom" that's been occurring over the past several years thru the parks of Cleveland Metropark, Summit County Metroparks and the Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area (yes, a national park is adding mtb trail). Nice concentration of trails within the highly populated areas are getting a ton of riding traffic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSlave View Post
    Yeah, near Cleveland. There's a "trail boom" that's been occurring over the past several years thru the parks of Cleveland Metropark, Summit County Metroparks and the Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area (yes, a national park is adding mtb trail). Nice concentration of trails within the highly populated areas are getting a ton of riding traffic.
    Could be in the cards.

I have some requests for Nashville, TN. Might hit that this weekend.

mtbr member
    Could be in the cards.

I have some requests for Nashville, TN. Might hit that this weekend.
    I should arrive around 2 at Lock 4 on Sat Nov 19.

Then at Percy Warner on Sun morn, 10ish.

Silver Tundra with red EZ up.

pm if you want an appt.

cheers,

Brian

WillWorkForTrail
    First, thanks, Brian for making the trip south. I not only enjoyed riding the bike, but meeting you.

Now, folks, about this bike. I rode the 29er. Yes, since these prototypes were designed for normal humans and not hulking mutants, it was too small for me, but only small enough to make me adjust my riding style for the first 300 yards of trail to sort out how to deal with being on too small a bike, and still trying to get it up to speed and around turns without hurting myself or the bike. If anything, the added awkwardness of the small frame/fit made the rest of my observations about the bike that much more impressive. If you're reading this, you've likely watched the videos Brian has put up, and read what he and other people have said about the bike. I don't want to write the same thing over and over again, or try to draw comparisons to stuff that just can't compare to what I experienced so I'll say this: The bike did exactly what the brochure said it does. I'll leave the advertising to other people, but I'll relate this little bit.

I am very, very familiar with the trail we rode on (lock 4) and so I hand picked a three mile route to put the bike to the test, including what they somewhat optimistically call "the rock garden" there. It's really just rocky enough to tick you off, but not really a rock garden. It's a solid 60 yard or so section of trail that you can't quite just plow through because you might get a flat or beat a rim out, so you have to work a little. On a hard tail (my hardtail is also SS) the real problem isn't putting the bike where you want it and getting power down, it's keeping traction over the small square edges and leaf covered rocks. On a FS bike, it's being able to stand up and put enough body english on the bike to get it where you want it without killing yourself fighting the suspension while climbing this shallow rock covered grade. The Outburst was - I'll just say what I said to Brian after riding through there - it was like cheating. I had all the traction from riding my FS bike through there, and none of the fighting the suspension. Standing up and shifting the bike around, the bike pedaled like my hardtail, but I had traction for days.

In short, if there's any doubt in your mind, and you can make it to somewhere Brian will be with these bikes, get your butt out there and get a leg over one of these things. And seriously, for those of you who fancy yourselves suspension experts, or amateur engineers, and are trying to figure out how this suspension works and get Brian to give you numbers to "prove what he's talking about" - get over it. You guys more than anyone else, I would encourage to ride this bike, and look at it, and think about this linkage in person. There's a reason he keeps telling you what he does when you ask those questions.

Just in case anyone is skeptical - the bike was equipped with an X-fusion shock and a DVO fork. The bike was sagged to 30 or 35% (Brian put calipers on it to check) and I twice bottomed out the 140mm fork on drops (the fork may have been a little soft, but it wasn't far off being right) and did not bottom out the bike at all, nor did I ever get the sense that it wasn't THE most plush bike I've ever ridden. Yet, it still pedaled as well - better? - than the best bikes I've ridden. So if you're wondering why the bike is spec'd with one of the simplest shocks made, with very little adjustment, etc - it's because the linkage is so good, it doesn't need anything else.

Go ride this bike. Go buy one. Buy two. Believe.

mtbr member
    I will be at Rangeline Nature preserve in anderson, IN on Sunday, Nov 27

Silver Tundra

cheers,

Brian

mtbr member
    Please let me know when/if you'll be in the Las Vegas or St. George/Hurricane area.

You have my attention.

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Or Minneapolis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Please let me know when/if you'll be in the Las Vegas or St. George/Hurricane area.

You have my attention.
    krob,, I'm in LA right now. Are you in vegas?

mtbr member
    krob,, I'm in LA right now. Are you in vegas?
    I'm in Hurricane, UT for the weekend but live in Ely, NV 3 hours north of Vegas. Just thought if your travels happen to take you through either of those locations sometime in the next month or two I'd try and get down there. I'm quite interested in riding and reviewing the Outburst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I'm in Hurricane, UT for the weekend but live in Ely, NV 3 hours north of Vegas. Just thought if your travels happen to take you through either of those locations sometime in the next month or two I'd try and get down there. I'm quite interested in riding and reviewing the Outburst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, ride/test the mixed wheel version.

mtbr member
    It looks like no more demo rides before the end of kickstarter (Jan 2). I'd love to, but I'm back from Ca in to the land of ice and snow

We will be back in the San Diego area, the first week of Jan.

For those that were waiting for a test ride before deciding on Kickstarter, I've decided to offer a money back guarantee on the bike. Maybe 2 weeks on complete build or 1 month on a frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I'd love to try one out if you ever make it to the Bay Area. I've been interested in your bikes since learning of them a couple weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'd still like to see an official geo chart on the 29'er. I'm not clever enough to interpolate from the other charts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by James39 View Post
    I'd love to try one out if you ever make it to the Bay Area. I've been interested in your bikes since learning of them a couple weeks ago.
    Hi James,

after new years, I will reformulate a demo schedule. For sure, a lot of interest in NorCal, PNW, Ut and CO.

I realized from my last SoCal trip that i could probably hang out at trailheads and sell out within a couple weeks. I will be back in SoCal during the second week of Jan, TBD.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    I'd still like to see an official geo chart on the 29'er. I'm not clever enough to interpolate from the other charts.
    Hi Preston, the standard Geo chart for the 29er is the Outburst. That is for the standard 125 mm rear travel with 140 mm fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I wanted to see geo for the 160mm 29'er.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Kudos to you Brian for keeping the big names on their toes. Wishing you success...

Would love to try one out, but doubt you're planning a trip to hawaii...or are you?

mtbr member
    I wanted to see geo for the 160mm 29'er.
    hi Preston, I have to actually draw those dropouts first. But it will be extremely close to the Meltdown geo, but with the longer 434 mm 29er CS length.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    hi Preston, I have to actually draw those dropouts first. But it will be extremely close to the Meltdown geo, but with the longer 434 mm 29er CS length.
    Can you mention again the 29 tire width this or the 120 mm 29 frame setup will take. I think I remember a pretty wide number but can't find the post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgf15 View Post
    Kudos to you Brian for keeping the big names on their toes. Wishing you success...

Would love to try one out, but doubt you're planning a trip to hawaii...or are you?
    Hi Borg,

Thanks for the good words.

Hello IRS, how many bikes do I have to sell to justify a demo trip to Hawaii?

I will be back in SoCal Jan 7-11

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Can you mention again the 29 tire width this or the 120 mm 29 frame setup will take. I think I remember a pretty wide number but can't find the post.
    The 29er can take up to a 3.2 inch wide tire. BUT, since they are few and far between, the overall diameter is a bigger question. I left lots of room, but there aren't many solid models for tires that size.

mtbr member

Demos in SoCal Jan 7-11, Co Jan 12-15

I will be in SoCal, Jan 7-11 and Co Jan 12-15.

Please get in touch for demo rides.

cheers,

Brian

mtbr member
    I am back on the demo trail on my way to and from taiwan. I will be in Socal the weekend on March 18-19 for demos. still finalizing trails but one will be Rocky Peak in Simi Vally, where the original PB review was done.The other will likely be in the Laguna/Irvine complex.

The following weekend, Mar 25-16, Daniel B will take the bikes for demos at El Prieto.

When I return fromTaiwan on the 27th, I'm considering stopping in Co on the way home, the weekend of April 1/2.

Let me know if interested. We still only have 2 bikes, the 160 mm x 27.5 Meltdown and the 140fr/125rr mm Outbust

thanks

cheers,

brian

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Washington state is on the way to Taiwan

mtbr member

Last i checked Oregon is just south of Wasington

mtbr member
    True enough!!, just not on this trip. But the PNW beckons. I may even find my way back to Bellingham.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddiesconfusion View Post
    Last i checked Oregon is just south of Wasington
    Maybe I could shoot for June, so many places to ride, so little time.

In the meantime, I will be back in the SoCal area Mar 18-19 and 25-26 and then heading to Denver April 1-2.

Hit Me!!!

mtbr member
    It looks like Rocky Peak on Sat, Mar 18. I'm in a black minivan with a tantrum banner. I''ll post an exact location later today. Reserving a ride is recommended.

cheers,

Brian

mtbr member
    What time?

mtbr member
    I'll be here at 11 today, the 18th

https://www.google.com/maps/place/34...36123?hl=en-US

if you want to ride after, drop me a line, bb @ our website

mtbr member
    Great demo at Rocky Peak yesterday. I will be at Cheseboro canyon today, Mar 19 from 11:30 to 3.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/34...30902?hl=en-US

If someone wants to meet later back at Rocky Peak, buzz me.

Briian

mtbr member
    Hey Everyone,

Winter is lifting, kickstarter bikes have been delivered, rave reviews pouring in. Do you know what time it is?? Time to ride.

The current plan is to do some Ca demos in april, leading up to Sea Otter (where I will have bikes). Then, in the summer, load up the motorhome do some midwest/eastern demos and festivals. I'll get a better plan as I go along.

To get started, So Cal demos the weekend of Mar 31/Apr1. I haven't made appts yet, so pls get in touch if interested. It could be Laguna area, Mt Wilson (working on some shuttle possibilities), Simi...

I'll also be there during the week, but at some point going to Santa Barbara to ride during the week with my son.

The weekend of April 7/8 will be Socal or Norcal, tbd.

Then, the weekend before sea Otter, April 14-15, i'll be in Norcal, looking to do demos in Santa Cruz or ???

Then Sea Otter the following week.

mtbr member
    It's time to get some riding in other than my home trails. This coming weekend, Sept15/16 is the Interbike Northstar demo festival open to the public. I'll be there with my biggest demo fleet ever, 4 bikes.

Sea Otter Downhill Race Winner....170fr/160rr 27.5 MeltdownTantrum Cycles Demo locations across the U.S.-sea-otter-lizard-s.jpg

My Sea Otter race bike, Chrome on the Range. 160 x 29er front, 160 x 27.5 mixed wheel special, the Shinedown
    Tantrum Cycles Demo locations across the U.S.-chrome-s.jpg

and then there's this baby. Brand new Shinning. 180 mm front/165 mm rear 29er

62 degree HTA. This bike is incredibly fast. 31 pounds as it sits. With pedals.

Tantrum Cycles Demo locations across the U.S.-2019-shinning-lizard-s.jpg

The 4th bike is the DVO bike, with 170 fr/165 rr, 27.5 plus. 3.0/2.8 combo on 35i rims. Too sluggish for around here, but might work great at Northstar

Tantrum Cycles Demo locations across the U.S.-2019-shinning-s.jpg