Sunline Carbon 31.8 recall- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Sunline Carbon 31.8 recall

So my lovely bars have been recalled. To anyone that rubs the 31.8 this is apparently a very serious recall (ie stop using them immediately)

But what do I change them for? Anyone recommend a 31.8 685mm low rise Carbon bar (apart from the Easton DH)?

I have seen options from Gravity, Controltech but has anyone got any real experience with these or any other option?

meow meow
    titec hellbents. ive never riden them but ive heard they are awesome.

meow meow
    (the carbon ones of course)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've been using the Gravity carbons for nearly a year now. It's survived several mishaps and still going strong. It's 700mm wide but I like it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Is this for sure? I also ride these bars so I looked online and some are saying it is recall only on ones sold in Europe....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I can't comment about the recall but I guess its possible that only one batch was affected but conversely wouldn't it be more likely that one batch was split and sent to variuos distributors. Only sensible advice would be to check with the dealer where you are

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by happybrandon
    Is this for sure? I also ride these bars so I looked online and some are saying it is recall only on ones sold in Europe....
    It's genuine.

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/31324/Re...rbon-handlebar

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2009...1-8mm-version/

I've found no mention of specific regions. Obviously the distributors issuing the recall are only listing it for their own region(s) but no-one's said it's only the bars sold in X area. Call up the US distibutors to check.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've always thought Carbon for All Mountain is moronic anyhoo...BUT...I've decided to give the Easton CNT bars a shot. Sounds like they may hold up pretty well from what I've heard around here. Though I'm still not quite sure why I got them b/c I can get an EA70 for $30. Seems a bit crazy to spend a bill on a handlebar just to save weight on an "AM" bike.

I know the OP doesn't want any info on the Eastons, but I will put a shameless plug in for them b/c the rise and sweep is a work of art.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well each to their own but I am an ardent carbon bar fan and I haven't had a single issue in 10yrs. Its gutting to send the Sunlines back because they have been awesome

stiff, very light and clearly strong because they have been on the bike for 18mnths and that includes several DH Enduro events.

I think the Gravity Carbons will get my nod if there isn't a replacement on offer

mtbr member
    Oops, a friend of mine is using these on his V-10

Where's my funny hat?
    Aug 2006

Syntace

The Syntace Carbon Vector is 31.8 x 680 with a 10mm rise and has a different, but incredibly comfortable, 12deg sweep. According to one of the German MTB mags they are the strongest Carbon bar on the market (including easton). I have been using them for almost a year and LOVE them, so much so that I bought 2 spare sets for when I get new bikes...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I had that bar and it cracked in several places including the stem clamping area and the brake perch area. Yes, I did use a torque wrench to install. Sunline was very good about the refund of the purchase. They make great products but those bars seem to be lemons.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by leggatt
    I had that bar and it cracked in several places including the stem clamping area and the brake perch area. Yes, I did use a torque wrench to install. Sunline was very good about the refund of the purchase. They make great products but those bars seem to be lemons.

Thats seems to be the opinion of the UK importer and hence no carbon at all for 2010

I've plumped for FSA's Gravity Carbon 710mm and about 200gms

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I spoke with the Canadian distributor for Sunline and was told that the recall is for Europe only. The batch that Sunline had a problem with was not sold here in North America.

Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sorry to bump this up, anyone know if Australian bars were effected? My bars match the specs spot on...

Members who have read this thread: 0