Suggest to me a new bike!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Suggest to me a new bike!

I live in NJ and have loads of xc trails around and live only an hour away from Mountain Creek Bike Park (formally Diablo). I am in high school and am selling my hard tail xc bike in order to get a more diverse one. Plan on hitting up the park in the summer while riding the local xc trails in the meantime.

I need some suggestions on a bike that will do it all!

Budget: I have around 2,500 saved up but would like to spend as little of that as possible.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Best deal out there and has become my favorite all around play bike....Titus El Guapo,climbs,jumps and turns with the best of them,and only 999.00!!!

All Mountian Destroyer
    Dec 2011
    I'm looking down the road for a new bike, 2500-3500 range, been looking strongly at the Enduro evo because of the simplicity of the coil shocks, but it only has an x5, not saying that wont work but i could always upgrade, looking to make lots of money this summer! how long do you think it would take an eagle scout 16yr old to make around 3000 dollars working rather often?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MountianbikeG View Post
    I'm looking down the road for a new bike, 2500-3500 range, been looking strongly at the Enduro evo because of the simplicity of the coil shocks, but it only has an x5, not saying that wont work but i could always upgrade, looking to make lots of money this summer! how long do you think it would take an eagle scout 16yr old to make around 3000 dollars working rather often?
    I don't want to be rude or anything.... but you kinda thread jacked...

mtbr member
    used market ok? transition covert v1.5/v2, 2010-11 specialized enduros..i mention those two cuz I've ridden and own both and bought them used as well. since you mentioned bike park..Yes, they jump well! checkout pinkbike's buy/sell pages.

All Mountian Destroyer
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtnut View Post
    I don't want to be rude or anything.... but you kinda thread jacked...
    meant to include "too" after stating how i was looking for a new mountianbike, and i thought it was better to ask a question on a thread allready on this topic rather than start an entire new one

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the quick responses! +1 reps for you guys

I think the titus for $999 is only the frame. I was looking for a complete bike as I think it will be cheaper that building up. I may be wrong

Used market is fine, but I would rather it be local so I can try out the bike. I bought my previous bike of craigslist and had a kinda bad experience- A little bit pricy and the fork died in 6 months, with 3 of those in the garage being winter season.

I will def look around tho

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the quick responses! +1 reps for you guys

I think the titus for $999 is only the frame. I was looking for a complete bike as I think it will be cheaper that building up. I may be wrong

Used market is fine, but I would rather it be local so I can try out the bike. I bought my previous bike of craigslist and had a kinda bad experience- A little bit pricy and the fork died in 6 months, with 3 of those in the garage being winter season.

I will def look around tho
    It depends on how savvy you are at shopping for parts,my EG has top line components at about your budget.for example...2012 Fox Float in as new condition paid 450,just test road today my wheelset,Hadley 10mm through axle and 20mm front laced to Stans Flow for less then 400 new,RF atlas cranks 75.00 as new,1x10 drive 150 new,Avid Elixir Carbon brakes 150 new,etc.I get to build it...bonus... and no worries or surprises when you open that used complete bike,been there done that!

Huffy Rider
    Used.....Giant Trance X or Reign. Both pedal like crazy and love to go downhill like a madman.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Used.....Giant Trance X or Reign. Both pedal like crazy and love to go downhill like a madman.
    Would these bikes have enough travel to go off jumps and drops?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    It depends on how savvy you are at shopping for parts,my EG has top line components at about your budget.for example...2012 Fox Float in as new condition paid 450,just test road today my wheelset,Hadley 10mm through axle and 20mm front laced to Stans Flow for less then 400 new,RF atlas cranks 75.00 as new,1x10 drive 150 new,Avid Elixir Carbon brakes 150 new,etc.I get to build it...bonus... and no worries or surprises when you open that used complete bike,been there done that!
    I am starting to like this idea. This way I can buy a new frame that would still have the warranty but get the parts that fit my budget.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    As of now the EG is in the lead.

Is this a fair price?

2012 Titus El Guapo w/Thomson Post NEW! - Pinkbike.com

mtbr member
    Adrenaline bikes (not affiliated with them) has some decent closeouts on 2010 Marin Attack Trail 6.9's from 2010. Nice build kit for $1600 complete or with Hammerschmidt high end build for 2800. 150mm of travel.
    Adrenaline Bikes, Chumba Mountain Bikes, Mountain Bike Accessories, Mountain Bike Parts, Bicycle Accessories
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Interesting bike newking. I will keep that one in mind, even though it does look strange.

Huffy Rider
    The Giants are 5.5in and 6in respectively. They will handle more then you can dish out. Those Marin's are nice, too. Super good pedalers and love to go downhill....my hubby rides one. Good price for a new 6in bike.

Brenda

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i just built a salsa horsethief and its sick theyre just about 2800$

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Santa Cruz Blur - great all around bike. I use it at the dirt jump park, downhill and long cross country rides. Goes up, goes down and everything in between.

mtbr member
    What trails do you ride? Waywayanda? Ringwood? Allamuchy? How big are the drops you currently do? Are you going to use it at mtn creek regularly or once or twice a season? I can suggest stuff but need to know more for example a Trance X is a great trail bike but I wouldn't use it at mtn creek regularly - a reign x would be better. El Guapos are great frames but even building it up through close out deals etc I think you'll need all of your $2.5K. Also check the classifieds on mtbnj.com as theres always plenty of good qualityvused bikes for sale there. Lastly, how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    a xc bike and a park bike are two totally different disciplines. one bike will completely outperform the other depending on what your doing. then there are bikes somwhere between the two. i ride a 150mm bike and dont really justify it for most of my riding . i would probably choose a 120mm bike if i could rechoose. it would be alot more effecient for what i do. but there are some scenarios where i love my diamondback mission. if your definatly gonna ride predominately xc trails. a 130mm bike or less would be good.
    in contrast if your mission is bombing downhills, doing some drop offs, and jumping, and dont mind the extra wieght and longer travel slacker headtube bike is for you. being such a big investment it would help to know your goals, and even then sometimes you find your not as aggressive as you thought you would be, or vice versa, you find your more about doing aggresive scenarios and want more bike. if you wanna drop guys and watch them huff and puff as you pass them by your an xc racer type. while you can do many of the same things with different bikes, they are definatly better at doing what they are designed for..
    Last edited by akiracornell; 03-08-2012 at 08:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    what about a specialized camber 120, definatley more cushy than, a hardtail xc bike. or if you need more the stumpjumper fsr is 140. more versatile but fading away from an xc racer. . then if you need the next level the have the enduro at 160. check out jenson. the have the rocky mountain altitude which is a 140mm bike. if you still want an very xc capable bike i would ssay 120mm, and 140mm if your tipin the table more towards. all mountain. the giant trance is 120. the giant reign is 150mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Would these bikes have enough travel to go off jumps and drops?
    depend on how big and how smooth you are. a smooth rider can do alot with little suspension. just all depends, have you ever seen footage of Jinya Nishiwaki. check this out. hardtail downhill in whistler - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Okay a little bit about myself:
    I am 6' right now and am still growing being in high school. My dad is 6'3 and I should be close to that in the next few years.

My favorite type of riding in dh but i have been riding xc recently because if my bike and because its convineint. Last year i went to wistler and rode a medium kona stinky.

I will look around on the classifieds for something local and used. Thanks for your help guys ( and gals) and keep the suggestions coming!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    get dual shocks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    being tall and an xc backround i would suggest a full suspension 29er. i dont even own a 29er but based on testimonies, what ive seen, and logic, this might be the route for you, but your gonna have to pay for it being that its a newer technogy/market. tuff find used. Textbook choice would be like a trek rumblefish. as far as framesize, sounds like you could be growing into an xl. maybe put a short stem on it an push the seat all the way forward for now. or do the reverse with a large later longer stem later and push the seat back.??? you should go do test rides and be patient, theres alot of choices out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    or a spec camber 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    depend on how big and how smooth you are. a smooth rider can do alot with little suspension. just all depends, have you ever seen footage of Jinya Nishiwaki. check this out. hardtail downhill in whistler - YouTube
    I have seen that, thanks. I know it is doable to ride downhill with very little suspension, but I would prefer around 6" of travel.

When I went to Whistler my instructor said that after hours the management would sometimes ride trikes and little kid bikes down the trails

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sssgood View Post
    get dual shocks
    Really? I haven't thought of that!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    being tall and an xc backround i would suggest a full suspension 29er. i dont even own a 29er but based on testimonies, what ive seen, and logic, this might be the route for you, but your gonna have to pay for it being that its a newer technogy/market. tuff find used. Textbook choice would be like a trek rumblefish. as far as framesize, sounds like you could be growing into an xl. maybe put a short stem on it an push the seat all the way forward for now. or do the reverse with a large later longer stem later and push the seat back.??? you should go do test rides and be patient, theres alot of choices out there.
    I am one of those people that don't like 29ers. I rode a full squish Stumpy 29er in Oregon last summer and didn't like it. I will stick with the 26ers. My bike right now is a large and I would like a bit more room to move around. I was thinking a medium.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Okay a little bit about myself:
    I am 6' right now and am still growing being in high school. My dad is 6'3 and I should be close to that in the next few years.

My favorite type of riding in dh but i have been riding xc recently because if my bike and because its convineint. Last year i went to wistler and rode a medium kona stinky.

I will look around on the classifieds for something local and used. Thanks for your help guys ( and gals) and keep the suggestions coming!
    I'm 6' and ride the EG medium,ET is 23" which is a magic number for what I use it for mostly tech and jumping but still climbs real well with a 70mm stem.some frame company's size run smaller and would go large like the SC Lt2 I had previously.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Used Nomad could be an option - I love mine. I also have a Titus, MotoLite, and wouldn't hesitate buying another even though it is a completely different company.

If you want a new frame, I'd get the EG and couple it with a coil lyrik and good wheels, then look at budget/used parts for the rest of the build. Upgrade over time as needed. But, at 6 ft. I would definitely consider the Large frame. Try and test ride a few frames with similar geo/ETT before pulling the trigger. I'm 5'8 and I'd ride a medium EG.

mtbr member
    +2 on the used Nomad! I am also NOT fond of 29ers... Look funny and feel lazy to me! I am a HUGE advocate of buying used as these high end rigs are built to take abuse! I currently have a carbon Nomad and the thing kick ass!!! I bought the frame 5 months slightly used for 1,400. My first Nomad I built using mostly used some new parts purchased on this site, feebay and Pinkbike.com: Latest biking news, photos, videos, events and more! ...Rode it for over a year with NO problems!!! Build cost was about 1,900... The El Guapo frame is a great option and you could easily stay under 2,500 final build (it is such a blast and more rewarding creating your own custom beast!!!) ! I would rather have a GREAT bike buying slightly used than a new AVERAGE bike!!! The Nomad and EG are GREAT bikes! Let someone else take the hit paying full retail! Check the Nomads on Pinkbike, some great deals! Good luck and have fun!

mtbr member
    nomad frame... 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad MkII + Chris King - mtbNJ.com check here for local bikes

mtbr member
    that nomad has been long sold. at that price it didnt last

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep an eye out for a cheap nomad listing, but that seems to be hard to find.

As of now I am torn between the Transition Covert and the Titus El Guapo. I have heard nothing but good things about both.

Also do you think it will be cheaper to buy a frame and build up or get a complete build (used).

Also how valuable is the warranty? Is it enough to buy a new frame v. getting a good deal on a used one?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i thought u said you were doing mostly xc trails. how often will you go to parks? when you go ride the xc trails how many miles are you doing? 5? 10? 15? 20+ thats somthing to consider. it sounds like you want a all mountain bike. i rarely use more 3-4 inches of my suspension on most xc trails. its just overkill for xc trails. but again i would consider myself a very smooth rider. i pump the trail and thats my style. where i could just mow over things. im usually bobing and weaving as fast as i can. i would usually manual where others would jump. so a little less suspension would be more responsive and faster for me. i could blaze the same downhills and conquer climbs way better with different bike. a 6in bike is slow and burdensome up hill.. and you must always go up to get down. I just feel an all mountain bike deserves more than your average xc trail. JMO

but dont get me all wrong, there are some sections where i wish i hade more bike than i got, like wicked downhill type rock gardens or super rockdrop sections. but that minimal where i go.
    Last edited by akiracornell; 03-09-2012 at 06:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    of course it'll be cheaper to buy a used complete bike then it will be to buy a new frame and build. When I build my bikes, I want the best I can get...in the following order - Frame > Fork > Wheels > Brakes > dropper post > everything else. You can find a used XT crank for $100, nice Brakes for $150, shifters + der's for $100, etc. If I know I'm not going to have to replace a hub, send a shock to Push, etc. then I'm willing to have lesser quality parts where it really doesn't matter to me and have the core of my build be solid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Jenson has a RM Slayer 30 for $1899 reg price is $2889 if you can fit a medium.

Rocky Mountain Slayer 30 Bike '11 > Complete Bikes > All-Mountain & Trail Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    i get your old bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJZ74 View Post

Rocky Mountain Slayer 30 Bike '11 > Complete Bikes > All-Mountain & Trail Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    the slayer and the altitude seem like sick bikes. great deals also but you'd be committed to a medium at this price.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep an eye out for a cheap nomad listing, but that seems to be hard to find.

As of now I am torn between the Transition Covert and the Titus El Guapo. I have heard nothing but good things about both.

Also do you think it will be cheaper to buy a frame and build up or get a complete build (used).

Also how valuable is the warranty? Is it enough to buy a new frame v. getting a good deal on a used one?
    As far as Warranty, It wont hurt but I have never had to use one, as I stated before, these higher end frames are built to take a pounding! Also depends on your riding style, if your real hard on your equipment! Go EG if you really want a warranty and have some fun building it up! You can get a Lyrik all day for 3-400, good brakes 100, crankset 100, wheels 2-300 etc...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJZ74 View Post

Wow seems like a good deal. What quality are the components though? I can't find anything on the fork and the rear shock has a 3.something/5 rating on this site.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Big C View Post
    i get your old bike
    How much you want for it

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i thought u said you were doing mostly xc trails. how often will you go to parks? when you go ride the xc trails how many miles are you doing? 5? 10? 15? 20+ thats somthing to consider. it sounds like you want a all mountain bike. i rarely use more 3-4 inches of my suspension on most xc trails. its just overkill for xc trails. but again i would consider myself a very smooth rider. i pump the trail and thats my style. where i could just mow over things. im usually bobing and weaving as fast as i can. i would usually manual where others would jump. so a little less suspension would be more responsive and faster for me. i could blaze the same downhills and conquer climbs way better with different bike. a 6in bike is slow and burdensome up hill.. and you must always go up to get down. I just feel an all mountain bike deserves more than your average xc trail. JMO

but dont get me all wrong, there are some sections where i wish i hade more bike than i got, like wicked downhill type rock gardens or super rockdrop sections. but that minimal where i go.
    I think it is in my best intrest to go with a larger travel bike. I plan on doing about 60-70% aggresive xc and 30-40% dh/freeride. I love hitting the jumps and although it is totally possible to go off jumps on 4" of travel I would feel more comfortable and have more confidence with say a 6" travel bike.

I am going to be spending lots of $, might as well spend it on something i want

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Wow seems like a good deal. What quality are the components though? I can't find anything on the fork and the rear shock has a 3.something/5 rating on this site.
    Components are good for a bike at this price point. If you want better components your gonna pay more money. Fork is a RS Domain R which would be Rock Shox's equivalent to Fox's Van R but with only 32mm uppers. It's a coil sprung fork with rebound. Rear shock is a Fox RP2 which has an High volume Canister with rebound and pro pedal adjustments. Components are pretty comparable to Treks Remedy 7 which would be a similar bike. The Slayer 30 has the same frame as the high end 70 model but with lesser components so it is completely upgradeable.

Personally I think you'd have a tough time finding a new bike for $1899 that is much better. If you want better components for that price you might find something used. Otherwise try to find a closeout around $2500 that was originally $3k-$3500. I haven't been able to find much else online. Maybe check your local LBS for closeouts or Demo's. I just picked up a Trek Scratch Air 9 in December from a shop for $3k which was regularly over $5K and it was barely used with full warranty. I searched all over for it. I called almost 20 shops and ended up driving 2 hours to get it. Deals are out there if you look hard enough. Good luck in your search.

Check out this site too. You might find some GT and Diamondback closeouts.
    Bike - Giantnerd®

mtbr member
    Good thread, keep the post's coming. I am sorta looking for a 6" bike as well if I can score a deal on it.
    The RM doesn't look too bad.
    Occasionally there are Spesh Enduro's that are unused from 2007-2009 on ebay around $2k.
    I just missed a unused Enduro carbon 07 for $2000. Just missed a lightly used 07 Nomad for $1200 :-(

Right now ebay has a few leftover 2008 Norco Fluid LT's for $1400. It's a 34lb bike and would seem more than capable. Ebay has a bunch of bike shops that have ebay stores and blow out bikes in your price range. There's a bunch of Cannondale Moto's on there now.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    The Giants are 5.5in and 6in respectively. They will handle more then you can dish out. Those Marin's are nice, too. Super good pedalers and love to go downhill....my hubby rides one. Good price for a new 6in bike.

Brenda
    Reign X is 6.7 back, 6 in the front.

I've got an 08 Reign X, I ride tons of XC/AM type stuff with it, and I've taken it to Diablo and Plattekill. With the exception of how heavy it is, I'm super happy with it, it handles everything well. Don't know where in Jersey you are, but I'm gonna be out at Ringwood with a group in the next couple of weeks if you want to ride and check it out.

Big Test Icycles
    That EL G you found is a good deal. If you don't need a ton of bling on your bike you can end up with a solid bike. Look to the big on line sites for year end blow outs. I have put together solid (Not super lite) wheels at Universal Cycles. Transition Bikes also sells wheels at reasonable prices that won't break your bank. You can find both Fox and Rock Shox 160 forks being blown out if you are patient. For the rest of the small bits look at Sette products, not bad and will save you $$$. I'd build it yourself. You will know every part of the bike when you're done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloMyNameIsSean View Post
    Reign X is 6.7 back, 6 in the front.

I've got an 08 Reign X, I ride tons of XC/AM type stuff with it, and I've taken it to Diablo and Plattekill. With the exception of how heavy it is, I'm super happy with it, it handles everything well. Don't know where in Jersey you are, but I'm gonna be out at Ringwood with a group in the next couple of weeks if you want to ride and check it out.
    Thanks for the offer, but I think that 6.7" might be a bit overkill for the xc trails. The regular Reign is more what I was looking for

Anybody have any thoughts on the SC all mountain line? I haven't heard anyone suggest the Heckler or Butcher. I know the Nomad is a great bike but after doing some shopping it is a little to $$$

mtbr member
    The Heckler and Butcher are both great bikes!!! They do not utilize VPP and are single pivot! Im not sure if you have tried different pivot designs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    The Heckler and Butcher are both great bikes!!! They do not utilize VPP and are single pivot! Im not sure if you have tried different pivot designs?
    I have not tried the different pivot designs yet. I need to get out and look for some stores that have demos. It seems like Planet Bike is the only store that has Santa Cruz in NJ. They also have tons of other brands so I can at least get a feel of the different geometry

Thanks for all your help socalMX. +1rep

NedwannaB

Single Pivots

I have not tried the different pivot designs yet. I need to get out and look for some stores that have demos. It seems like Planet Bike is the only store that has Santa Cruz in NJ. They also have tons of other brands so I can at least get a feel of the different geometry

Thanks for all your help socalMX. +1rep
    I wouldn't get caught up in the stereotype. Although they're simpler in design, these newer versions have been improved.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NINER Rip9 RDO(future...)
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    I wouldn't get caught up in the stereotype. Although they're simpler in design, these newer versions have been improved.
    Sorry if im just too tired to thibk straight but what stereotype are you refering too? I don't know what I am getting "caught up in." please elaborate

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    what he saying is that single pivots dont suffer from pedal bob as much as they use to. the pedaling platform is the term for how stable the rear suspension design is while pedaling. adjustle flip switch shocks solve most of this problem. but a good suspension design does both plush ride and minimal bob while pedaling with out the flip of a switch. there are many other factors as air pressure, air or coil, lockout and or propedal, or adjustable propedal. Lockout is full lockout while propedal is lowspeed compression dampening that allows for big hits but is firm for dealing with pedal pressure. there are really many factors. Only people who have been riding along time notice all the subtle differences, because they have alot of saddle time on many different designs, but again if you mess with air pressure in the front or rear it changes the characteristics of everything. there are other factor that change ride characteristcs also, wheel stiffnes axle size, tire choice, tire pressure, geometry which changes with fork length. in conclusion he is saying while there are differences, dont buy into the overhyped marketing of proprietary suspensin designs. there are differences but the gap is not that big.

SANCTUS

SANCTUS

... and if we just ... how about this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i may not have mentioned it before but i ride a diamondback mission which is a very all mountian bike. it more bike than i need most of the time, thats all. it pedals very well seated but bobs a little when standing. but i think most 150mm bikes will. compared to a giant trance 120mm i'v ridden, the mission is a beast and much more plushand stable in technical and downhill terrain. but i would say the trance was more nimble climbing. but again its the difference in the intention of the design. the missions knuckle box design is the same as the commencal meta 6 frames. sometimes you can find a great deal on a 1 or 2 year old model. but i would suggest a large 19, as the seem to run slightly small. im 5'8" and bought a used large not realizing it was alarge because the reach felt rite. i have to push the seat all the way forward to get the rite leverage pedaling though. i think it works for me cause im built like an ape. i have the torso of a tall guy and the legs of a small guy. Its the half japanese.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    you ought read some reviews on the db mission. dont let the stigma of the diamondback name fool you. reveiws with experienced riders are very surprised.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BUSTELO View Post
    Hey thanks for trying to help but did you even read the previous posts
    I am looking for a 6ish travel bike with 26" wheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    you ought read some reviews on the db mission. dont let the stigma of the diamondback name fool you. reveiws with experienced riders are very surprised.
    Nice Bike

Only problem about this bike is the fork. It is a 32mm while I think I will need a 36mm. My Uncle (lives in NoCal) has a 2010 SC Nomad that he strongly suggested if I can find one with good components used.

I am going to try to get down to Planet Bike today and try out the SC and Giants. I will tell you how it goes and which bike I liked better

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What you need to do is test ride those bikes and see what you think. If you are partial to the Nomad or considering the El Guapo, start "test shopping" to see what a parts list will run you. Don't forget about all the small parts either. If you think you can swing the cost of the parts, a frame is a potential. If not, keep your eyes out for a complete build.

It's is funny because if you needed a 5 inch bike there are still so many guys that are selling gently used rigs so they can move to 29ers. Not many guys moving from 6 inch machines to 9ers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Have you looked at this one?

FOCUS BLACK HILLS
    Low-key yet aggressive – these are characteristics that make the Black Hills stand out from the pack. Not only in relation to its handling and specification but also the interplay between the paint finish and coloured components.
    Specification
    Icon: Frame Frame Focus MTB Sport Pro Alloy double butted
    Icon: Fork Fork RST Blaze RL 100mm
    Icon: Tires Tires Continental Traffic, 54-559
    Icon: Shifter Shifter Shimano SLX M662
    Icon: Brakes Brakes Tektro Draco
    Icon: Brake lever Brake lever Shimano Alivio
    Icon: Handlebar Handlebar Concept SL Riser, oversized
    Icon: Stem Stem Concept SL, Ahead, Hydro, wht
    Icon: Seatpost Seatpost Concept SL
    Icon: Saddle Saddle Concept

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Is it just me or does it seem like people only see the thread title and post a random bike People would save lots of their own time if they would just read the previous posts

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    What you need to do is test ride those bikes and see what you think. If you are partial to the Nomad or considering the El Guapo, start "test shopping" to see what a parts list will run you. Don't forget about all the small parts either. If you think you can swing the cost of the parts, a frame is a potential. If not, keep your eyes out for a complete build.

It's is funny because if you needed a 5 inch bike there are still so many guys that are selling gently used rigs so they can move to 29ers. Not many guys moving from 6 inch machines to 9ers.
    Thanks for the advice. I am leaving in a few minutes to test ride the nomad.

mtbr member
    didnt realize you were selling your bike. how much?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm not

mtbr member
    If you buy a frame such as an El Guapo and build build it up let me know. I can help you with parts - I have some new bits and some lightly used bits floating around my garage and can let you have them at my cost. As mentioned I am in Jersey too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    If you buy a frame such as an El Guapo and build build it up let me know. I can help you with parts - I have some new bits and some lightly used bits floating around my garage and can let you have them at my cost. As mentioned I am in Jersey too.
    Thanks for the offer, I will keep that in mind

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    how was the demo? if it was the newer version of the nomad, keep in mind that the older versions were more plush, less snappy and less "trail bike" feeling. the newer versions are supposed to be a better all-round machine. I have no complaints about mine though, older version.

btw, what you were seeing in the above bike reco's is all the beginners looking at what bikes they can get for the least amount of money. they don't know any better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I really liked the nomad. It was a medium frame custom built but before the guy could pick it up he got arrested. I also tried out the giant trance and liked that too. I am going to Moab with my uncle in april and will try out his nomad.

SANCTUS

Hope I am paying attention now

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I really liked the nomad. It was a medium frame custom built but before the guy could pick it up he got arrested. I also tried out the giant trance and liked that too. I am going to Moab with my uncle in april and will try out his nomad.
    how many miles did you usally ride your hardtail in day?
    the trance and the nomad might feel similar in a parking lot but they are gonna be 2 totally different bikes on the trail when you start experimenting in different situations. especially when you start doin all day rides. dpending on the type of hills and terrain one bike or the other will beat you up more. if your riding most moderate trails the trance will be little lighter and faster, and will allow you to ride further keeping momentum; more a trail/xc bike. If the trail is more brutal or challenging vice versa; nomad wins.

It depends on your trails and personal motto; if my mindset is climb to the top and bomb down, i would want a 150 160 bike no doubt. if im gonna race up and down, up and down, all day long, i would want a 120, 130, 140 bike. you will hold more momentum with the constant need to climb each section. Its crazy how 3-4 lbs of bike, 1-2mm suspension, and 1-2 degrees headtube angle suit you better for the situation. if your dead set on 150 bike, maybe look to upgrade to a adjustable fork down the road. or if you go used consider a talas. the one thing that sticks out in my mind is that you said alot of xc trails; and if thats your daily stomping grounds. you might wish different.
    Last edited by akiracornell; 03-12-2012 at 11:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I got Diamondback Coil and love it for the price. Great beginner bike

Members who have read this thread: 0