Stumpjumer ST 29 AL vs. Norco Fluid FS 3- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Stumpjumer ST 29 AL vs. Norco Fluid FS 3

Just checking your opinions, my first full-suspension, middle aged, Pennsylvania trail rider coming from a Surly hardtail. I've got it narrowed down to two, probably can't go wrong either way, but I appreciate any opinions you have.

2019 Stumpjumper ST 29 AL ($1870):
    • At my favorite LBS
    • Would need to add a dropper, but that would make cost about the same as the Norco.
    • test rode Med and Lrg - kinda in between on fit, but would go with Med probably
    • Do I really want to put another Specialized out on the trails?

2019 Norco Fluid FS 3 ($2049):
    • At my 2nd favorite LBS, but I don't buy much from them
    • I don't need to add anything to the build
    • test rode the Large - reach was really good, standover iffy
    • Don't have any experience with Norco or know anyone who rides them locally.

Ruled out models:
    • Fezzari Abajo, YT Jeffsy (want to do LBS)
    • Kona Satori, Salsa new Horse thief (price)
    • Trek Fuel EX 5 (due for an update)
    • Marin Riftzone (Eh?, something about it just doesn't do it for me)

mtbr member
    How are your local trails...lots of climbing, how about rock strikes?

ST Stumpy comes with a 46cog (sunrace), which may be appreciated over the 42cog on Fluid.
    Stumpy also comes with 170mm cranks, supposedly to reduce rock strikes.

The Fluid specs list an older 142 rear axle, as well as boost...must be a typo.

Do you have a shifting design preference - shimano or sram?

Geo wise, the ST Stumpy seems to be right in the middle of M/L Fluids.
    I would try the Large Stumpy again...especially since you liked the L Fluid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpjumer ST 29 AL vs. Norco Fluid FS 3-fluid.png  

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Donít have any experience with brighter but I had a Norco storm had a couple of questions and I was never able to get in touch with Norco , complete opposite experience with specialized they always replied in a timely matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Never have ridden the Norco but tested this Spesch-----on trails I am familiar with that are a bit rocky I had major issues with pedal strikes----granted just one ride but I do not have this issue with my Pivot 429 Trail so it was pretty obvious. If your trails are real rocky this would be a consideration for me----the specialized factory demo guys said having this experience was what they designed for which seemed bogus to me. Of the bikes you have I may suggest re-looking at the Trek as it has good geo and while folks hate trek like specialized that bike always seems to be top rated. On the Norco front could you get a low spec Sight???---this bike also gets great reviews------

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I absolutely love my Stumpy ST. As far as the "another Specialized on the trail" who cares, nobody but you. If the bike fits you get it. So many good bikes out there.

Just add a dropper.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Thanks for all the input.

I went with the Stumpjumper ST because of the lower granny gear (of which I need alot) and my LBS. I put a xfusion manic on it, which I have had great experience with - so that was a plus over the TransX on Norco.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have a Stumpjumper ST and I absolutely love it. Every time I ride it, it just feels right. On paper it shouldn't, but man it is fun to ride.

I put a Tellis on mine and a Manic on my Release. I sold the Release and wish the Manic was on the Stumpy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    On paper it shouldn't, but man it is fun to ride.
    What is it about the specs/geo that doesn't make sense?
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm 6'1" and riding a large. Obviously the 455mm reach is way too short, but then I get on the bike and it feels great. It feels plenty long and is really maneuverable.

I see it has a Recon up front and an xfusion in the back. So of course the fork will feel flexy and it will not eat up the bumps. Better start looking for a fork upgrade. First time I sat on the bike I was stunned how plush it felt. I thought the sag must be way off. But its correct. And there's only 120mm of travel so why is this thing eating everything up?

I still dont understand how this bike feels so good. I got a deal on it and paid like $1600. But it felt way more plush than my longer travel bike that had way nicer components on it. And Strava shows I'm putting up times just as quick. How is that possible on this heavy ass bike?

I got this bike as a backup for my nicer ride. I liked this one so much that I sold the other bike (flipped it) and kept this one as my main ride.

It doesnt make sense that this heavy bike with crap components, questionable geometry, and a bobby suspension feels so great to me. I dont get it, but it does.,

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just because it isn't a fox 34 kashima with xtr doesn't mean its crap.

Just not upper echelon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The new fluid seems like a total sleeper of a bike, I think they are pretty rad and totally flying under the radar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    We're in a good time to be riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    When I decided to keep the Stumpy and flip my other bike, the Norco was a top contender. But I thought it may be too similar to the Stumpjumper and went another route with a much longer travel bike just to have something different.