Stump jumper vs trance- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2019

Stump jumper vs trance

I know these bike may not be the most comparable but these are my 2 options which are available to me and my area. The specialized stump jumper st alloy 27.5 and the giant trance 3 27.5 are my two choices so far for a new bike. Iím mainly wondering whether which is better for me. My main concerns is whether which jumps better, climbs better, and which is more playful. I also like to ride a lot of street and maybe race some. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Go to pinkbike classified and search Trance there are some incredible deals to be had as several deals are selling off their demo bikes. I saw one that had 6 rides on it and had the warranty included.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Hey! Thanks for the reply! I've looked into these used bikes or demos and im not confident about buying used becuase of the many factors which can go wrong with. Not really sure if i can always take their word. Thanks.

mtbr member
    The geo on the Trance is dated. There's nothing wrong with it but I wouldn't buy a new one.

mtbr member
    I prefer the slightly more progressive geo of the stumpy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stump jumper vs trance-screenshot_2020-01-13-https-geometrygeeks-bike.png  

Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I'm not crazy about Specialized bikes (dunno why, just an old stigma I guess) but I like the geo and some components of the Stumpjumper over the Trance3.

Comparing 2020 medium size models, Stumpjumper has slightly slacker HA, slightly shorter chainstay, slightly steeper seat angle, threaded BB, larger rotors, 150mm dropper, Shimano components vs Sram SX.

Can't say how either perform on climbs as I've only demoed the Trance2 in the parking lot. I did not have the opportunity to demo a Stumpjumper. I have heard very good things about the Maestro suspension on the Trance being pretty solid for climbing.

I'm curious as to what others recommend as I was leaning towards a 2020 Trance 2 or possibly build my own using a Nukeproof Reactor frame.

mtbr member
    Your best bet is to try the bikes out of possible. You can only fixate on geo numbers so much.

Vital did a test on a number of lower cost bikes. One they tested was a Giant Stance. Going by numbers...and according to the MTBR elite...its completely outdated. Once the testers rode it...it was the only bike where all the testers universally liked. Geo numbers can give you an idea on how a bike can behave...but to truly feel how a bike rides...is to ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Your best bet is to try the bikes out of possible. You can only fixate on geo numbers so much.

Vital did a test on a number of lower cost bikes. One they tested was a Giant Stance. Going by numbers...and according to the MTBR elite...its completely outdated. Once the testers rode it...it was the only bike where all the testers universally liked. Geo numbers can give you an idea on how a bike can behave...but to truly feel how a bike rides...is to ride it.
    Good advice. Sometimes I get caught up in the numbers and forget about riding the damn thing. lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    would the head angle affect any performance in jumping and climbing? Theres dirt jumps near me which i go to very often and its crucial for my new bike to be a good jumper but also a good climber/general trail bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Too slack a HA and the front wheel will have a tendency of wander when climbing. If your climbs are short, it probably wouldn't make much difference but if you have long climbs and/or have steep climbs, it might become frustrating esp if coupled with a slack seat tube angle that puts your weight too far back over the rear wheel.

But as RS VR6 pointed out, best not to get too caught up with geo numbers but demo some bikes on the kind of trails you ride to base your final decision.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post

I agree with demoing if possible. Having ridden a few Trances though, I wouldn't buy a new one. The seat tube was too slack and the head angle is fine for normal trail riding but I don't need that much travel for normal trail riding either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    is the trance more gravity focused with the more travel?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    To my knowledge its a 120mm short travel trail bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2019

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    O ok confusion on my part. The 29er version is 115/130 travel. 27.5 has 140 in the rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    yeah seems like the stumpjumper migth suite me on paper better

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leejr View Post
    is the trance more gravity focused with the more travel?
    Yeah a bit. The Trance 27.5 is 150mm front and 140mm rear. This is getting really close to the enduro category. However, like I mentioned the head angle is fairly steep for that amount of travel these days. That's fine if that's what you want but I don't see the point.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    are there any other full suspension trail bikes around the 2k price range worth mentioning?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    For regular dirt jump use + general trail riding, and one bike for both, you may be better off with a burly all mountain hardtail. Not saying either bike canít jump but itís definitely not what they were built for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    I have thought about this but I simply cant becauase of the trails I ride would not be very well suited for a hardtail as there are some 5 -10 ft drops

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have thought about this but I simply cant becauase of the trails I ride would not be very well suited for a hardtail as there are some 5 -10 ft drops
    ďWeíre gonna need a bigger boat!Ē

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Heh, well said

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Buy used.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Buy used.
    Already suggested that and gave some links to bike shop bikes but he dont want to go that route.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    So: Good climber, good trail bike, good dirt jumper and riding 5- to 10-foot drops. $2k budget. Good luck 😉
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

No Pavement Nation (NPN)
    are there any other full suspension trail bikes around the 2k price range worth mentioning?
    https://www.bikesonline.com/polygon-...-mountain-bike
    Has XT/SLX drivetrain and Revelation fork

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountai...nfarbe=GY%2FBK
    Has NX drivetrain but Recon 32 fork

https://www.fezzari.com/cross-country/abajo-peak
    Has NX drivetrain and Xfusion McQueen 34 but needs a dropper...

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod182791
    Has Deore 1x10 w/11-46 cassette and RS 35 Gold fork

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...iABEgKdvfD_BwE
    Has Bomber Z2 fork but SX drivetrain

Most others in the 1500-2500 range for 2020 have SRAM SX so you should budget to replace the derailleur at the very least.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    New yt jeffsy al came out, thoughts?
    https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/.../sCategory/511

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    New yt jeffsy al came out, thoughts?
    https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/.../sCategory/511
    I like the geo numbers on paper. Sexy looking frame. No comment on the rear shox. It doesn't say which DT Swiss M1900 wheels 25/30/35? Decent components except it loses me with the cheap SRAM SX drivetrain components and brakes. It doesn't say the axle size. A little hefty at 33.5lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Re: components on the YT, For $2300 what do you expect? You can put an XT 11spd drivetrain on there for $400 in a few months. $250 if you keep the crankset.

I think the OP is headed in the right direction though.

I visited YTís headquarters but didnít demo a bike. Quality of frames looks pretty good - well better than some catalog frame.

Inspector Gadget
    Itís been my experience shorter chainstays = lip popping fun. $2k is a hard price to get everything YOU want. If $2k is all youíve got, get the bike that feels the best and worry about component quality when it wears out. Whyte Bikes makes a very sick bike the T-130 for $2500. Long, slack, low and decent component build. https://www.whyteusa.bike/collection...ts/t-130-sr-20 I have my 15yr old son on a '17 Whyte G-160 and the kid rips on that bike!
    It's the perfect time of year, Somewhere far away from here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    Itís been my experience shorter chainstays = lip popping fun. $2k is a hard price to get everything YOU want. If $2k is all youíve got, get the bike that feels the best and worry about component quality when it wears out. Whyte Bikes makes a very sick bike the T-130 for $2500. Long, slack, low and decent component build. https://www.whyteusa.bike/collection...ts/t-130-sr-20 I have my 15yr old son on a '17 Whyte G-160 and the kid rips on that bike!
    So for jumping looking for short stays, long and slack, 2k budget hows this https://www.konaworld.com/process_134_275.cfm

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    The guys made a valid point. For $2-2.5K price range, you're gonna have some trade offs. I like Kona bikes but the YT you posted earlier would be the better buy. I'd much prefer a Yari over a Recon fork. I could live with the SX until it dies before upgrading... but that's just me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    I will prob see what bike ill choose soon as i need to sell my current bike first, but the yt is probably the better choice

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I really feel that you will need to narrow down and/or compromise on some of the things that you want or expect from your purchase of a new single bike on a $2k budget. You want a bike that - "jumps better, climbs better, which is more playful" "also like to ride a lot of street and maybe race" - "5- to 10-foot drops-". No one bike is going to be the best at everything you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Yep i have come to the realization that ill have to compromise some things so im going to disregard some aspects

Inspector Gadget
    Iím not really a fan of Konaís but that seems tolerable for the price point. Unless you know exactly what you like... gotta ride one. Ive picked out a bike before based on specs I thought Iíd love, did a trail demo and hated it. Thatís why Iíd try for some test rides and focus on the feel more than the specs. Iíve had a Trance and Iíve Demoíd a Stumpy. I liked my Trance a lot, it was a great bike but not extremely playful imo. Iím currently on an Evil Calling and I love the geo on this bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    yeah, ive been looking at a kona demo coming in march which i may go to. Im trying to search around for demos and i have also ridden a cannondale jekyll which i was not expecting to hate so much, i know what you mean

Inspector Gadget
    Another thing... you might not need to wait for a big 'demo event'. Every bike shop I've ever been in would let me demo a bike for $100+/-. That's a cheap price to pay vs making a 2-3k mistake.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yep i have come to the realization that ill have to compromise some things so im going to disregard some aspects
    If you really plan on taking 5-10 foot drops on the regular, Iíd compromise on the climbing performance and just pay the price to slog uphill a little slower.

As mentioned before, you can look used too. Lots of riders buy a bike thatís way above their skills/intended use so you can pick up a very good conditioned, not abused bike for a good deal. Just gotta see it in person - this isnít an online purchase type of thing.

mtbr member
    NM...already posted.

No Pavement Nation (NPN)
    I will prob see what bike ill choose soon as i need to sell my current bike first, but the yt is probably the better choice
    Yea... 2018 Jeffsy Al 29 clicked all the boxes for me... fork changed from standard to boost spacing Fox Rhythm w/new Grip damper, 22.5id wheels to 30id, 2x Shimano to 1x Shimano SLX... Friggin wet dream becomes reality! (Though did not know DPS was a Damn Piece-a Shit)

With the 2020 Youíll get the new geometry, a decent Yari fork that can be upgraded to a Lyrik damper and a SX drivetrain that can be shitcanned when you are ready...and still need to replace the RS Deluxe shock when you just cans stand it any longer...

or maybe the Canyon Spectral 6.0 is the bike that for 2500, 36 Rhythm fork, DPX2 shock, SLX drivetrain clicks all the boxes once again...