"That's what." -She

Specialized Stumpjumper Brain Swap???

Hello mtbr!

I own a 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29er Expert. My bike came with the brain, and I was not excited about it, nevertheless, I rode it and never had issues with it. However, recently my brain no longer functions. It doesn't lockout when the seat bobs as it is supposed to do, making climbing much harder than it needs to be.

Since it is an older model, I can't rebuild the brain. I have looked up other forums of people with the same problem and they seemed to be able to replace the brain shock with a normal shock with lockout features, however, they all featured Epics and not Stumpys. I am not completely sure how different the frames of Epics are from stumpys, but am hesitant to spend money on a shock I am afraid won't fit.

Has anybody been in the same boat I am in and was able to replace the brain shock with a normal shock on their stumpy? If so, what shock did you use, did you use an air sleeve, specific yokes, etc?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    A quick google shows this: https://www.bikeyoke.de/en/specializ...2010-2015.html You can also check the document with compatible shocks there.
    It shows that your bike would need a new yoke and a 190x45 shock. This will also reduce travel by 2~5 mm.

mtbr member
    FWIW: I'm pretty sure Traxxion Dynamics can overhaul your brain shock. They do older brain shocks that others can't, and they do nice work.

That said, I'm not a fan of the Brain shocks either so going with a new shock and Bikeyoke can be a solid choice.
    Do the math.

"That's what." -She
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    FWIW: I'm pretty sure Traxxion Dynamics can overhaul your brain shock. They do older brain shocks that others can't, and they do nice work.

That said, I'm not a fan of the Brain shocks either so going with a new shock and Bikeyoke can be a solid choice.
    I am not a fan of it either. Originally, this bike is more suited for XC, but I shortened the stem and put on wider bars, making it a more all-mountain/enduro, and I was never a big fan of the brain, so I want to swap it for a normal shock without brain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Send your old shock to Fox. Fox has a replacement shock if the old one is unrepairable.

"That's what." -She
    The problem with that is they probably could rebuild it, but I don't want a brain, I want a normal shock with open, trail, and firm lever options. If I bought the shock and had them install the new shock it would cost me much more than I would like it to

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Fox replacement shock is a "normal" Fox Float w/ the trunion mount for our bikes. No brain, 3 position lever.

"That's what." -She
    How much do you think that would run me for. The shock, and any other linkage, installing hardware, anything else I would need to install a Fox Float DPS

"That's what." -She
    The specs of my current shock are 7.75 inches (197mm) eye to eye, with a 1.8 inch (48 mm) stroke.

Would this shock fit my bike

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RockShox-Mo...GDVm:rk:1:pf:0
    Last edited by nathan_van; 1 Week Ago at 06:52 PM.

turtles make me hot
    Not the same exact bike as yours but I had an 08 Stumpjumper that had a brain shock.
    When I cracked that frame, Spesh gave me an 09 frame. At the time I thought the brain shock was superior so I asked Spesh and they sent me a rear triangle that held the brain.
    What I ended up doing was swapping the whole rear triangle when it was time for bearings and run whichever shock fit that triangle.
    Now, I'm putting the bike together for my son and he's just going to use the Fox. I'm sure Spesh isn't going to service my 11 year old brain shock.

I'm sure there's something that drops right in to your frame.
    I like turtles

"That's what." -She
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Not the same exact bike as yours but I had an 08 Stumpjumper that had a brain shock.
    When I cracked that frame, Spesh gave me an 09 frame. At the time I thought the brain shock was superior so I asked Spesh and they sent me a rear triangle that held the brain.
    What I ended up doing was swapping the whole rear triangle when it was time for bearings and run whichever shock fit that triangle.
    Now, I'm putting the bike together for my son and he's just going to use the Fox. I'm sure Spesh isn't going to service my 11 year old brain shock.

I'm sure there's something that drops right in to your frame.
    Thank you for the advice. I do hope something will drop right into my frame, however the way the shock is installed on my frame is a little different from most others. Would I need to get some special mounting system, certain hardware, etc to mount it with my current set up? 2011 Specialized Stumpy FSR Expert 29

turtles make me hot
    Maybe Fox or Push or somebody like that can help you. Where there's a will there's a way.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Looks like DVO makes something. It's 500 bucks.
    I like turtles

"That's what." -She
    If I bought a RockShox Monarch 197x48mm, what additional mounting hardware would I need to replace my brain on my stumpy, if I even need additional hardware

turtles make me hot
    Probably nothing. Looks like a direct replacement but I could be wrong.
    I like turtles

"That's what." -She
    Okay. Say if I couldn't find the correct shock size, how much bigger could I get before it wouldn't work? Or is it either get it at the right size or it won't work at all?

turtles make me hot
    You can't go longer or shorter. Longer and the shock is into it's travel at rest and will bottom out, Shorter probably won't even go in. It will be in tension at all times.

Between that Rockshox Monarch and the DVO, something should work.
    I like turtles

"That's what." -She
    So even if the eye to eye distance is the same, if the stroke is longer, as it is nearly impossible to get a 46 mm or 1.8 inch stroke, the closest I could get is maybe 48, will it still need some fiddling to get in? How would an extra 2 mm of stroke affect the geometry and performance of the bike?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Stumpjumper Brain Swap???-shock.jpg  

turtles make me hot
    I started riding rigid fat and plus bikes so I haven't kept up on full squish. 2mm may work.

You can see if you cycle the suspension without a shock in it, you have a very finite amount of travel to work around. I do more car stuff than bikes and even there, if you alter ride height and add stiffness to a suspension, you need to tailor the shock length and travel to work. I would call Fox. Or Push industries. Maybe a close shock could be made into the right shock.

I'm surprised someone with more shock knowledge hasn't chimed in.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    That picture is incorrect. The stroke length can be shorter than the exposed stanchion. On recent Fox shocks/forks, you can use the 4 character code to look up the nominal dimensions.
    Do the math.

"That's what." -She
    Does that go with Rockshox? I just found that online and used that. If I do put on a normal shock, there will be a high chance it will be a RockShox Monarch RT3 or a Monarch Plus

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    As I've said before....

Send your broken brain shock to Fox Service in Cali.
    If it's unrepairable, they will make you a helluva deal on a Fox Float THAT BOLTS RIGHT UP. NO GUESSING GAMES, NO"WONDERING" WHAT FITS.

Fox might sell you the shock outright. You would need to ask.

"That's what." -She
    I called them, and they said they could probably do it for around $160ish. I asked if it isn't repairable, what my options were, and they said they did not have any shocks with that size.
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away, and you have their shoes too.