Specialized P. All Mountain - Is a refurb project worth it- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Specialized P. All Mountain - Is a refurb project worth it

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on here so I hope I've chosen the right place to put this.. I'm pretty new back to mountain biking, having owned road bikes recently and mountain bike as a child so also a bit clueless

I've got a 13 year old Specialized P.All Mountain hardtail (that's sat been in the corner of a friend's shed for years) in need of some TLC. The least that needs doing is service the drivetrain, brakes and forks.. I'm thinking it's likely the whole drivetrain may just need replacing.

I don't have a budget of more than 500/600 for a new bike which limits me to budget/entry level bikes.. Would I be better off pilling quite a bit of money on this bike to try and get it all running properly, or am I better off getting a new but budget bike with the money?

Has anyone got suggestions for the best parts of the bike to invest the money on?

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bi...untain-review/

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I'd try and get it functional as cheaply as possible (probably looking at at least tubes, brake pads, chain, lube, maybe cassette), depending on how that budget worked out look at some cheap pinned flat pedals, comfy grips, and maybe a wider handlebar, then ride it for 2-3 months to see if you like it enough to save up for something in the 1000 region-options really start to explode there-or if you only like cruising mellow paths and what you have is sufficient.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by looks easy from here View Post
    I'd try and get it functional as cheaply as possible...then ride it for 2-3 months to see if you like it enough to save up for something in the 1000 region.
    Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    I think lookseasyfromhere nailed it. Spend the least needed to get it decently functional and save up. That old and having sat for so long it may benefit from a bit of work. Depending on the bike and condition; greasing & adjusting the hubs, bottom bracket and headset, truing the wheels, new cables...in addition to what lefh mentioned.
    What, me worry?