SPD vs Eggbeater cleats- Mtbr.com
    bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008

SPD vs Eggbeater cleats

Which cleat platform makes the least amount of contact with the floor when walking? This question is being asked by a someone I know who just had installed a $10,000 Brazilian exotic wood floor I their home.

mtbr member
    In some cases it could depend on the shoe and not the cleat. I use specialized Comp MTB shoes and i have little to no contact between the clip and the floor. but I also put my shoes on outside (most of the time) so i don't have to worry about scratching my floors, just to be safe.

Jackalope Hunter
    SPD and CB cleats are just about the same thickness. Sometimes shoe soles are thinner or thicker, hence needing to shim cleats once in a while. That said, why the heck would you want to walk around in your house with mtb shoes on? I don't even like walking on pavement with them on.
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjudy13 View Post
    SPD and CB cleats are just about the same thickness. Sometimes shoe soles are thinner or thicker, hence needing to shim cleats once in a while. That said, why the heck would you want to walk around in your house with mtb shoes on? I don't even like walking on pavement with them on.

This guy I know has all his bikes in his bike garage, next to his fleet of approx 10 cars. His closet is a far distance to the garage and he wants to keep all his clothes and shoes separate from the garage. So, he just wants to walk on the floors after getting dressed and geared up.

meow meow
    is spending an extra minute to put your shoes on outside really too much of a bother to avoid scratching your 10k floors? also it depends on the shoe.

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    is spending an extra minute to put your shoes on outside really too much of a bother to avoid scratching your 10k floors? also it depends on the shoe.

Yes putting on the shoes outside is not practical because, well it just isn't. Let's get back to the question.

Independent of shoe... Which cleats scrape the floor less - SPD or Eggbeaters?

mtbr member
    The answer to your question is not dependent upon which of the two cleats you specified; they're both about the same height.

Shoe soles vary in thickness. Thicker lugs and/or a deeper cleat pocket will ensure that the precious floors don't get scratched.

I ride with Sidi shoes, which have relatively short lugs and a shallow cleat pocket. I'd scratch floors regardless of what pedal system I chose.

Trail Connoisseur
    I ride eggbeaters with Pearl Izumi Enduro III shoes and my cleats don't touch the ground at all when I walk

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    Yes putting on the shoes outside is not practical because, well it just isn't.
    how is it not practical? frickin rich people.

mtbr member
    So this rich guy cleans his shoes religiously after every ride to take them through the house and store them miles away from his bikes?

Clothes, I can understand. Shoes - just keep them with the bikes. Wear slippers in the house between the storage and the garage. So not even outside.

And, as has been stated numerous times above, it is not the cleats, but the shoes that are at issue.

mtbr member
    Simple, tell him to pull socks on over his shoes and he can walk just about anywhere without damage.

Which cleat platform makes the least amount of contact with the floor when walking? This question is being asked by a someone I know who just had installed a $10,000 Brazilian exotic wood floor I their home.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

T.W.O.
    how is it not practical? frickin rich people.
    Yeah I thought it was odd. I don't wear shoes in the house so I don't see the point. If convenience is the key, just walk on it who cares he can always replace the floor. Unless the he rides from his house to the trail he should put the bike shoes at the trail head or just buy a rubber sole cover for the shoes.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The man needs some slippers. That's what I wear and my floors are 40 years old.

But the real answer to your question has already been answered - it depends more on the shoe than the cleat.

gnuH
    Get some knee pads and crawl to the garage. Or a skateboard could be fun.
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

T.W.O
    what a d-bag
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    Tough crowd. All I am saying is that it is a really long distance to the garage from the closet where the sports clothes are. Ok?

I am sure someone has decided to get some different pedals and either switched from SPD to Eggbeaters or vice versa. So, they would be able to know which cleat has a lower height and thus, scrape floors less.

mtbr member
    Tough crowd. All I am saying is that it is a really long distance to the garage from the closet where the sports clothes are. Ok?

I am sure someone has decided to get some different pedals and either switched from SPD to Eggbeaters or vice versa. So, they would be able to know which cleat has a lower height and thus, scrape floors less.
    As has been mentioned ad nauseum, the cleat thickness is the same. The shoe is going to be the item that will result in floor scrapes. If he is that concerned and stuck in his ways, he needs to find a show that is more "built up" around the cleat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Put on sandals, walk to garage with socks in hand, put socks in shoes that are stored in garage, load bike, get to trailhead and put on shoes. Problem solved.

Hell, he could even leave his shoes clipped to his bike.

Or, if this is such a terrible inconvenience to walk 2 city blocks across imported jungle hardwoods, he could just use flat pedals and not worry about it at all.
    Just another redneck with a bike

T.W.O.
    I know you can't explain away his non-sense so just tell him to come on here. There are more things that can scratch the floor from the shoes beside the cleat clearance once he takes his first dirt ride.

mtbr member

Good job!

Is he broke now? Did he spend his last 10grand on a floor? Screw it eff the floors up easy come easy go.

EDR
    This is the best thread of the day.

He's so rich he has you doing his research rather than just not wearing shoes with big metal attachments on the bottom of the soles while walking on his $10k floors. I LOVE it. Next he will want to know which stilts have the best rubber bottoms on them b/c he really loves walking in stilts to perform side shows in the neighborhood but must keep them in a closet a looooong way from the front door....and simply can't be bothered with putting them on outside. OP, if you could stand outside of this conversation and view it from afar, you'd see just how ridiculous it sounds to the rest of us.

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    I know that SPD cleats and Eggbeater cleats are not the same height. I read on a forum somewhere about someone switching pedal systems and commenting that he was scraping his floors less with the new cleats and same shoe as before. Some of you guys are irritated about someone having a little but of money and just want to say, "look, there ain't no difference here". However, those educated know better.

And about the exotic hardwood floors... So what? Why is everyone making a big deal about that? I mean, yeah. The maids mop them every few days so a little dirt is ok, but scuffing up the floors with metal is a different thing.

EDR
    If it helps any my Shimano SPD cleats married to my Lake MX165 shoes don't make the tap tap tap sound when walking on concrete. The same cleats made a huge tap tap tap sound on concrete and were downright dangerous to walk in on off camber slickrock when married to my Speshy BG Comps. It's the shoes that matter as stated over and over, the difference is cleat height is minimal at best.

Since you don't seem to accept the advice of everyone about the shoes being the difference the $40 solution would be for your friend to buy a set of each and wear what works best. It's a small price to pay (not wearing bike shoes on hardwood floors would be cheaper) to save expensive flooring.

mtbr member
    You have got to be kidding me. Seriously, this has got to be a troll. Think about it. The scenario is too perfect.

Cleats scrapping 10,000 dollar floors, Maids mopping and a garage that is too far away?? ROFL.

DTP
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have both spd and cb pedals and once i installed the cb cleats on the same shoe i didnt feel the cleat due to its lower profile. It one more thng was i hear the cleats clink whenever i walk.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Yes putting on the shoes outside is not practical because, well it just isn't. Let's get back to the question.

Independent of shoe... Which cleats scrape the floor less - SPD or Eggbeaters?
    If the cleats are not on the shoes, they will not damage the floor.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

T.W.O.
    I know that SPD cleats and Eggbeater cleats are not the same height. I read on a forum somewhere about someone switching pedal systems and commenting that he was scraping his floors less with the new cleats and same shoe as before. Some of you guys are irritated about someone having a little but of money and just want to say, "look, there ain't no difference here". However, those educated know better.

And about the exotic hardwood floors... So what? Why is everyone making a big deal about that? I mean, yeah. The maids mop them every few days so a little dirt is ok, but scuffing up the floors with metal is a different thing.
    You are the one who made a big deal about "$10,000 Brazilian exotic wood floor" and his odd pre-ride behavior.

Even if he can clear the cleat from scraping the "floor" how is he going to avoid scraping the metal toe pins and small pebbles that got stuck from the trail. Dust is easy to take care off but the little suckers make bunch of scratches I know because I did it on my brand new epoxy floor with a 5.10 shoes.

Educate yourself so you know better.

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Steps:

1. Put on all riding gear sans shoes
    2. Carry shoes to garage
    3. Put shoes on

\thread

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18 View Post
    You have got to be kidding me. Seriously, this has got to be a troll. Think about it. The scenario is too perfect.

Cleats scrapping 10,000 dollar floors, Maids mopping and a garage that is too far away?? ROFL.
    ive come to this conclusion too. unless this is truly the laziest and richest person in the world (which begs the question if walking to the garage is so taxing how does your friend have any energy left to ride his full suspension carbon superbike down the bike paths?)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This thread is still going?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the morning comic relief!
    I live in my head...

Just having fun... Sorry to piss you off...

mtbr member
    ive come to this conclusion too. unless this is truly the laziest and richest person in the world (which begs the question if walking to the garage is so taxing how does your friend have any energy left to ride his full suspension carbon superbike down the bike paths?)
    It is ridiculous. I think the guy asking the question (not the OP) should have his man card revoked.

I have linoleum floors and I don't wear my riding shoes inside. My riding shoes ride along in the car until I get to the TH or I put them on as I am heading out the door if I am riding from home.

Cleats or not, if I had 10,000 dollar floors put in I wouldn't be walking on them with any type of footwear.

I guess if you can afford 10,000 dollar floors you have to create a problem that doesn't exist

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm with everyone else. My modest sized home has Oak flooring that I nailed down and finished myself. Socks only is the rule in our house. You carry the shoes to the door and put them on while standing on the entry rug. Doesn't matter if you're talking flip flops, dress shoes, bike shoes or scuba fins. Virtually every person I know has the same rule in their house. My laughing at this person has nothing to with their success. It's based on the fact that they lack the intellect to devise a method of walking from their bedroom to the outdoors.

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DTP View Post
    I have both spd and cb pedals and once i installed the cb cleats on the same shoe i didnt feel the cleat due to its lower profile. It one more thng was i hear the cleats clink whenever i walk.

Thank you. Your experience was the golden nugget of info I was looking for. And now, I know that Eggbeater cleats have a slightly lower profile than SPD cleats.

I realize that the shoe recessed area makes mor of a difference, but really all I wanted to know was which one had a lower profile. I made a mistake in justifying why I was asking the question because all that did was open the door to people scrutinizing the question.

People don't really understand sometimes that other people that spend lavishly on some things want to keep it that way, but it's easy to hate the so-called rich guy. Anyway, that's dumb, but the only haters on this thread were those being critical,judgemental, a--holes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    People don't really understand sometimes that other people that spend lavishly on some things want to keep it that way, but it's easy to hate the so-called rich guy. Anyway, that's dumb, but the only haters on this thread were those being critical,judgemental, a--holes.
    No, the part I don't understand is that he doesn't want to take care of the things he spent "lavishly" on by stomping around in bike shoes ($10k isn't even lavish for flooring, especially if the place is that big). The part we're making fun of is that he can't carry his shoes to the door like virtually every other person that does care about their things.

Actually, come to think of it, I don't carry my bike shoes to the door. They smell so bad that they live next to my bike with my foul smelling helmet and gloves.

mtbr member
    What I dont get, bro has $10K to spend on floors but cant be bothered to spent $40 on a pair of CB cleats and a pair of SPD cleats, and another $20 on a digital caliper in order to measure the thickness of one cleat against the other.

Cant figure out a way to walk from the bedroom to the garage and cant figure out how to run to the store and buy the cleats in order to obtain a completely scientific and objective answer.

meow meow
    plus the fact that he is making his pedal choice, one of the most personal areas on a bike, based on what will scratch his floor up less and not feel

mtbr member
    Obviously the finer nuances of performance difference between one pedal system and another isn't important in the decision making process here. What sort of riding does he do? Would he benefit from more lateral or rotational float? Etc...

Why not just use flat pedals? They'd work fine with his Prada house slippers.

mtbr member
    C'mon, I always choose my pedal/shoe preference based on my hard wood (floors)!!!
    I live in my head...

Abby Design & Constructio
    Feb 2012
    It depends on the shoes but if the floors cost him $10,000 then i would be scared to walk on them with socks haha. Take shoes off or get a pair of crocs that are 3 sizes to bike and slip into them with your shoes.

Big Boy
    troll for sure.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!! :cornut:

Jackalope Hunter
    This guy I know has all his bikes in his bike garage, next to his fleet of approx 10 cars. His closet is a far distance to the garage and he wants to keep all his clothes and shoes separate from the garage. So, he just wants to walk on the floors after getting dressed and geared up.
    Since he's obviously loaded, why doesn't he just hire a sherpa to carry him to the closet.
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    personally, I would hire someone to carry me between the garage and the closet

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    leave your shoes in the 10 car garage like the rest of us mortals do...

mtbr member
    I could build him rubber overshoes for the trip to the garage for $1000!

mtbr member

what do you expect, tough crowd? Your "friend" obviously has quite a bit of money, and you are making him out to be unintelligent. 'Idiot rich guy' is not someone most of us sympathize with.

The likelyhood of contact with the floor doesn't vary in the slightest among different pedals, and even if it did, that would be an asinine reason to choose one pedal over another. Thickness of the sole is the only thing that could possibly matter, and IMO anyone that walks on a $10,000 floor in cleated bike shoes probably has a mental disability. And you're saying this dude's house is so enormous, it's not feasible to walk barefoot through it? Really, that's what you're saying? And you aren't expecting to be called names?

Why not just ride with platforms if it's that much of an issue, and he doesn't care about performance vs not having his bare feet touch that expensive floor?

mtbr member
    This is a funny thread, does he also drive like one of these guys?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=0d8bbf90aa86" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18 View Post
    It is ridiculous. I think the guy asking the question (not the OP) should have his man card revoked.

I have linoleum floors and I don't wear my riding shoes inside. My riding shoes ride along in the car until I get to the TH or I put them on as I am heading out the door if I am riding from home.

Cleats or not, if I had 10,000 dollar floors put in I wouldn't be walking on them with any type of footwear.

I guess if you can afford 10,000 dollar floors you have to create a problem that doesn't exist

Funny thing is, $10,000 doesn't even get you very far when you're talking about flooring. I'm looking at hardwood as I type this and it'll cost about half that for two rooms in my place for the cheap domestic stuff. And my place definitely doesnt have a mother effing ten car garage. I couldn't fit ten cars in my whole house.

If this clown has 10 cars in his garage, Surely, it'd be practical to put a shoe rack and a stool in there next to his bikes.

Does anybody on here actually keep their bike shoes in the bedroom? My wife would beat my azz if I brought my sidis into the bedroom.

mtbr member
    They live in my truck so they're ready when I am! Agreed on flooring cost too... $10000 is probably just the hallway from the garage to the entry hall!!! Apologies for continuing a dead thread, and a silly one at that!
    I live in my head...

mtbr member
    simple fix, you can use any shoe and cleat with one of these connected to the closet to the garage, and hell you can even wear your snuggie.

javale McGee shows us how its done

Javale McGee plank tapis roulant moving walkway Hong Kong Airport - YouTube

Members who have read this thread: 3