mtbr member
    Apr 2010

spd shoes with extended cleat pocket? (for setting cleats further back)

I've noticed some mountain bike SPD shoesadvertise having an "extended cleat pocket" so you can set the cleats further back for a more heel dropped, downhill, pedal position.

The shimano enduro shoe, ME7 does this but I'm looking for other options, thanks!

Elitest thrill junkie
    No. The DH position on clipless pedals is not "heel back".

I rode at Trestle on flats, because the big smooth stuff is kind of made for it, but two days later I took my clipless pedals to Keystone and put them on the rental bike. Keystone is way more evil and challenging, with features just as big, but much more gnarly stuff. I did just fine on skinnies and everything else, but you don't ride them the same. You put the cleats closer to the ball of your feet, this is the rotation point that is designed for pedal release. I've been DHing for years with clipless, South Mountain, WA, CO and plenty of other gnarly areas with steep DHs and big terrain.

With flats, you get sticky flat shoes and you ride with the heels back to help make them stick while you are in the air and such. Clipless is not the same.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    No. The DH position on clipless pedals is not "heel back".
    Iím just looking for shoe recommendations...

And I didnít say ďheel backĒ I said cleat back, so the cleat is closer to centered on the shoe. I find that position to feel more stable in rough terrain. Some enduro/dh SPD shoes advertise they do this which means I canít be the only one interested in such a thing

mtbr member
    You are correct. I have the ME7 and you can put the cleat further back. I'm not sure what other shoes are available with this feature though. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I did the same search last year. I found, at that time, that Shimano shoes were the ones that allowed the furthest back position (I have M089 and ME9 both with the Torbal sole, you can read more in this thread http://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-prote...g-1032486.html ) but it is not enough to duplicate the feeling of a flat pedal.
    I ended up getting the Crank Brothers Mallet DH pedals that have a large platform as well as retention pins. My cleats are all the way back on both pairs of shoes. When I feel I would like my foot further to the front of the pedal, mainly in downhills, I unclip and reposition the foot. The pins on the pedal have proven to grip the shoe quite well (specially with the M089 shoes), no lose foot so far after over a year with this set up. When climbs come, I just clip again. The clipping hooks on the pedals are low enough to not interfere with the shoe over the pedal when not clipped in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I think on my Five Ten Hellcats the cleat channel is a bit longer compared to the Shimano XC shoes I have.

mtbr member
    I've been seeing more threads about pushing the cleats back lately, so I tried it.

I can't believe I rode for so many years with the cleats so far forward. It's better up, better down, feels like no downside. Im almost maxed out on northwave shoes.