Solid Beginner rig?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Solid Beginner rig?

So I have been wanting to get into mountain biking for a while now, just never had the cash to make it happen until now. I found a '00 Trek 7000 on craigslist and have heard very good things about the bike. They are asking $250, is that over priced? I would also look into replacing the cranks immediately (heard they were weak), and the front shock sometime in the future. Doe any experience with the Shimano LX M572 Crankset? For the price its listed on JensenUsa . com I'm having trouble not ordering it. And as far as the shock any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Nico

YYZ
    mtbr member
    TBH, I wouldn't spend much money on this bike but degreaser and lube. It's not open to many upgrades. If you do get it: I wouldn't worry about upgrading the crank set, I would just wait until it gives out or you truly don't want it. As for the fork, I wouldn't spend much on it either you're going to have to find something with 80mm to 100mm or else the geometry is going to change. Sr Suntour have some forks. If I were in your position, I would save up for this: 2012 3700 Disc - Trek Bicycle

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    At $250 you are half way to a 2012 entry level hard tail. Dump money into a new fork and crank and you are pretty close to that number for a 12 year old bike. The new '13 models are getting ready to ship so I think you would be even more likely to score an even better deal. Be patient and wait I say.

YYZ
    mtbr member
    Totally agree.

mtbr member
    Yep wait a bit and try to get some entry level.

I started with 400$ bike, which would have been about 250 if on sale.

The point is that it will be nice bike to start and get yourself in riding. After some time, year, two, three when you have money you can either upgrade parts or buy new bike because you will already have experience on what you like and what you dont, what works for your geographical location and what doesn't.
    There is no man living that can not do more than he thinks he can. Henry Ford

Members who have read this thread: 0