small jumps with a full suspension bike...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

small jumps with a full suspension bike...

Guys,
    I have rode BMX in my early teens> transferred over to flatland riding in Freestyle, Half pipes, ect....

I am 42 now, and have been back riding full suspension bikes for only 2 years now.

Long story short, I cant seem to jump straight anymore! Even on small jumps , when i come off the top of the jump and land, the front wheel always gets crossed up when i land.
    I can come off drops with no problem and land flat and straight but its when i pump to come off a jump , its like the bike is never set up right coming off the lip of the jump.
    Any thoughts from those that have that uneasy , unlevel landing syndrome that i have ?
    could it be i need to lock out my suspension completely?

mtbr member
    practice

make a tabletop jump and practice. you can try locking out the sus and go from there

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Preloading the fork so it winds up kicking to one side or the other when it uncompresses?

What bike is it specifically? Could be the geo change that requires modifying your technique.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I would take a look at your rebound settings as well, especially if you have a fast rebound
    Yeti SB100
    Transition Smuggler

ready to ride
    Which bike are you riding? In your profile I see a GT ACR 3000 but a pic of a Norco. I could see issues jumping the GT, it looks heavy. The Norco, that bike can handle bigger jumps.

Doing jumps is the last place I would lock my suspension out. Especially at 42 which I am a year your senior. It is all about balance. However it could also be the jumps you are hitting. If they don't have a good transition and are too sharp your suspension will overly compress and kind of buck you. If you don't compensate you might go in nose first. Also hitting if you are hitting a sharp kicker try slowing down a bit. If you are riding that Norco though you should have that o'shit inch that will make up for it. If I know I am hitting jump that has a very steep and abrupt angle I always get my weight back and pull up slightly. Like I said its about balance, just something you have to figure out. Start small and work your way up. I mean even on bigger drops with square hit you gotta lift the front a bit. Once you start getting it figured out you can compress the suspension towards the ground right as you go into the jump that will really help you get more air and if done right set you up for a proper landing whether is be square or transitioned you have to judge and compensate accordingly.

Keep at it, have fun, and try to keep yourself whole.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Possibly too much weight on the front end. Get your weight nice and comfy over the pedals.

If the suspension is kicking on the launch, slow down the rebound. If you slow it down too much, it could pack up in rock gardens, but you'll have to find a compromise.

mtbr member
    It could be that your suspension is set too soft and so its soaking up too much at the lip of the jump. You need the suspension set a little stiffer for jumps to keep the bike more playful in the air. Try messing with air pressure, also...how wide are your bars and how long is your stem?
    2014 27.5" SC Blur TRa:cool: - 2014 IP-106 Chiner 29er :nono: - 2005 Fuji Team SL 16.2lbs -:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    While I can jump just about anything, I don't care what anyone says suspension set up has a huge impact on how the bike jumps. It affects timing, and how the bike moves in the air. Once you get your sag properly set up, I find that setting the rebound on the fork faster than the rear shock to be the ticket. Thats usually the biggest culprit. And also more low speed compression in the front than rear.
    here is some good info:
    Advanced suspension tuning for stability - another long bastard post.

mtbr member
    Starting to do a few more jumps myself... very exhilarating and great for the stoke.

Lots of great vids on YouTube re technique and setup. Key things from YTV's e.g. weighting on jump transition, softer rebound adjustment and relaxing in the air - so even if take off is crooked bike can settle underneath you i.e. straighten out

-------------------------------------
    Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
    has one & they're usually full of...??
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Heavy foot, light hands and no brake 15' before jumping, will give you a more neutral position on take off. And look foward when in the air.
    Those tips help me progress.
    Lee Likes Bikes