ATA
    ATA
    May 2018

Slack AM Hardtail Around $1200

I am looking for a slack all mountain rig to switch from my current downhill bike. It should be around $1200 and slack. Any ideas?

Bikesexual
    Not sure if slack enough or all mtn but this is a great deal.
    https://www.performancebike.com/shop...AaAuP7EALw_wcB
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

ATA
    ATA
    May 2018
    Seems kind of xc oriented

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Pole Taival

ATA
    ATA
    May 2018
    Almost 1500 for the cheapest build

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I've been looking into this genre a lot lately, so I have some input on this topic.

2019 Vitus Sentier VR. 66 Degree HTA, 140mm RockShox Sektor fork, 1x11 drivetrain, 2.6in Schwalbe rubber front and rear (Magic Mary front, Nobby Nic rear). The only thing it is missing is a dropper post. Right at $1200 shipped.

The Nukeproof Scout Race 275 is $1350 (touch out of budget). Its specs are super similar to the Sentier, but with a 65 degree HTA, dropper post, and Maxxis DFH tires f/r (2.6in).

Nukeproof also has the scout sport model, which is right at $1000. It has lower end forks and other components compared to the race version above, as well as no dropper post.

Commencal Meta AM HT Origin is $1100, 65 degree HTA, 150mm travel fork, no dropper post, and "vee tire" tires.

Most others a bit over the price point you're after (Whyte 901, Marin San Quentin, Salsa Timberjack, Norco Fluid HT, Norco Torrent 2, etc). Most of those are in the $1250 - $1400 range.

Good luck finding something that works for you .

ATA
    ATA
    May 2018
    Ocnlogan, I canít find a nuke proof scout race for 1200, could you please send me the link?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ATA View Post
    Ocnlogan, I canít find a nuke proof scout race for 1200, could you please send me the link?
    Sorry, my wording may have been a bit unclear. I am not aware of a Nukeproof scout that sells for $1200.

The Nukeproof scout race is $1350 (and, not available for a few more weeks, as its a just announced 2019 model). The Nukeproof scout sport (next model down) is $1000.

The sport and race use the same frame, just different components. They are both available in 27.5, or 29in wheel sizes.

And the Vitus Sentier VR is VERY similar to the Nukeproof Scout, and will be available for $1200 (again, its a 2019 model, the go on sale in like 10 days).

From what I can tell, the biggest difference between the Sentier VR and the Scout models, is a 1 degree steeper head tube angle (Scout HTA = 65, Sentier VR HTA = 66). The Sentier VR also has no dropper seatpost, and Schwalbe tires, and is $150 cheaper than the Scout race. There are other small component differences, but those seem to be the main ones.

Anyway, those seem to be the best deals around for a slack HT as far as I can tell.

CoolArrow
    You could probably build up a Dartmoor Hornet, or an Airbomb Bitmap from just the frame for 1200.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard Ė website

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Or just go to Pinkbike and buy a dialed used rig.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Iíve always been tempted by one of these Meta hardtails that Logan mentioned. +1
    https://www.commencalusa.com/Mobile/...19-c2x26304818

mtbr member
    What about an On-One DeeDar?
    https://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/bikes/m...n-bikes/deedar

Nevermind. after USD conversion it's over budget.

mtbr member
    You might want to look at the Sonder Transmitter. The have several build kits to choose from.
    https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/sonder-transmitter
    It won the MBR Plus Hardtail group test last year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCGCVdf1UBs
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Dartmoor Hornet or Hornet Pro is the answer. Or get just the frame, they're quite cheap and go into fun of building from scratch (more expensive, but more satisfying in the end :-)

ATA
    ATA
    May 2018
    Ocnlogan , wow that's a lot, the Nukeproof Scout looks awesome.

ATA
    ATA
    May 2018
    Jhazard I tried to create a spreadsheet with all cheap used parts but it ended up at 2000.

ATA
    ATA
    May 2018
    Blatant Haha yeah I've done that many times

ATA
    ATA
    May 2018
    Uedan A hundred over is ok to me

ATA
    ATA
    May 2018
    Huckleberry I'm looking for the best deal

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Kona Honzo - nevermind, probably not slack enough.

+1 for used Commencal meta AM HT
    Last edited by 1track-mind; 5 Days Ago at 12:37 PM.

Land of the 230+
    I enjoyed the hell out of my overforked on-one parkwood. Cant get them anymore, but maybe you could build something from a nukeproof or NS frame? Ive seen some sales at CRC and other various stores lately. Assuming youre comfortable doing a frame up build.

mtbr member
    You're better off finding something used. The slack geometry is on higher end bikes/frames. Anything under $1200 new currently, isn't slack. You can always put a taller fork on one, but then you'd have to buy a fork. What about this one?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...725873406.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Nukeproof Scout is probably the ticket. I haven't heard anything bad about them. I am probably buying one in a couple months.

65 HTA seems decently slack to me.

mtbr member
    Chain Reaction currently has a NS Eccentric Lite 1 2018 on clearance for $959. MSRP is $1729. HT angle 66.5.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    You're better off finding something used. The slack geometry is on higher end bikes/frames. Anything under $1200 new currently, isn't slack. You can always put a taller fork on one, but then you'd have to buy a fork. What about this one?

I agree that you'll likely find more bike for your money used. The trick as always though, is finding the right one, for the right price, at the time you want it. It is worth checking CL/Pinkbike though, just in case something perfect is hiding there.

Personally though, I don't believe that only higher end bikes having slacker geometry in this category, or maybe I just disagree on the price point you selected, as most really cheap bikes are still XC bikes, which won't be as slack.

Case in point, the Vitus, Commencal, and Nukeproof offerings that are < $1200 are all slacker than that Orbea that you linked (by 1-2 degrees). And, slacker than quite a few other higher dollar models in the same product category (Salsa Timberjack, Santa Cruz Chameleon, etc).

That NS Eccentric is kind of interesting though. For an MSRP of ~$1800 I would expect it to be spec'd a bit better (maybe thats why its on clearance ), but after the discount its pretty cheap after it.

The Suntour fork with smaller amount of travel, non boost front and rear, QR rear end, no dropper post and smaller cassette range would have me thinking about spending the extra on the Nukeproof (personally).

That said, it is a pretty good deal at that price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'd go for the Marin San Quentin 2. Geometry is on point, reasonable specs. 130mm fork, 12x148mm Thru Axle rear. Good candidate for upgrades over time, but a sweet starting point. $1299 USD

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/201...-san-quentin-2

Slack AM Hardtail Around 00-19-sanquentin-2-2000x1298.jpg

ATA
    ATA
    May 2018

I live 20 minutes away but the best deals come from offerup

ATA
    ATA
    May 2018
    I'm probably going to keep an eye on the used market because many of these forks are not suitable for some of trails I am able to do with my downhill bike (Predator at Tiger Mountain, etc).

ATA
    ATA
    May 2018
    Chain Reaction currently has a NS Eccentric Lite 1 2018 on clearance for $959. MSRP is $1729. HT angle 66.5.
    It just shows up as 1700 on google ads but it really is 1000 everywhere.