Shramano 11 v eagle 12- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Shramano 11 v eagle 12

Alright folks I need your wisdom. Building up my hardtail next week and still haven't settled on the divetrain. Only ever ridden nx 11 and have no brand loyalty...what would y'all do?

1) run the gx eagle group i already bought.

2) run the eagle cranks with shimano 11sp shifter/rd and 11sp gx cassette. Sell the rest of eagle group.

No mountains where I live, just hills. Gonna be on a 29er. Feel free to explain why you prefer one over the other.

(I know this has been discussed previously, but that was before eagle fixed their jockey wheels on the rd)

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I'd go ahead with the GX eagle, since it sounds like you already have it in hand. Why take a loss on it just to get the 11 speed instead?

I have GX eagle on my hardtail, and haven't had any issues with it. Shifts as well as any 11 speed I've used, with greater range.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I do have it already, but it's still new at this point.

Just making sure I'm making the right decision before I use it and the value goes down. I got it cheap enough that I wouldn't take a loss if I sold it.

Have heard so much good about the 11speed mixed set wanted to make sure I wasnt making the wrong decision, especially if people were still having trouble with their eagle(mainly rd).

mtbr member
    They both work well, it just boils down to how much range you want or need. GX Eagle is fine, I'd keep it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sounds like you dont need the range of the 10-50. In general though how you going to use your bike?

Trail riding - Probably dont matter
    Shorter XC races expect to be competitive- I would do 11 to lighten up and get closer ratio's
    Longer Races or endurance events - Kind of depends on what size chainring you watn to run the 10-50 might be nice if want a bigger chainring for flatter sections.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    No racing, don't have the lungs or legs for it.

Trail riding in South Georgia and North Florida with occasional trips to real mountains a few times a year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    It sounds like you might be an over-analyzer. Just stick on what you have now and go for it. Ride a lot so you wear our your stuff and then if you want to change later, do so then. Both approaches work well these days, so whatever you do just go for it and never think about it again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Ha, you aren't wrong. Been working on getting parts for close to 4months to build this bike. Have tirelessly read about every single part of it.

Bad reviews of eagle still make me nervous on occasion.

C__Corax
    Sep 2009
    u want a bad eagle review? ive put over 3k on my xo1 drivertrain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by DOCRIGID View Post
    u want a bad eagle review? ive put over 3k on my xo1 drivertrain.
    More just wanted reviews of the positives of each. Hasn't really turned out that way though unfortunately.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Poprockz View Post
    More just wanted reviews of the positives of each.
    Okay, so as Hemi mentioned above, 11 speed is a little lighter and gives closer gear ratios. 12 speed gives you that nice dinner-plate gear for climbing, I find I use it often on really steep stuff, less so on gradual climbs. The only reason I swapped the 11 for 12 on my hardtail was so that I can share wheel sets with my full suspension bike that runs xo1 eagle. Like I said, I've had good experiences with both 11 and 12 speed Sram stuff.

One thing to keep in mind though is that if you are using the eagle crankset (as you suggested in your "option 2") it could have a chainring that is optimized for the 12 speed cassette. Not sure if what you're looking at uses the same or different rings.

For example, I my xo1 came with a 34t chainring. I might prefer 32, but 34 is fine. I still have the original cranks on my hardtail though, and it came with a 28t ring. Which makes the low gear ridiculously low, kinda cool for extremely steep stuff when I'm tired but otherwise unnecessary. So the chainring is something else you might need to play with if mixing things up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by JScoot View Post
    Okay, so as Hemi mentioned above, 11 speed is a little lighter and gives closer gear ratios. 12 speed gives you that nice dinner-plate gear for climbing, I find I use it often on really steep stuff, less so on gradual climbs. The only reason I swapped the 11 for 12 on my hardtail was so that I can share wheel sets with my full suspension bike that runs xo1 eagle. Like I said, I've had good experiences with both 11 and 12 speed Sram stuff.

One thing to keep in mind though is that if you are using the eagle crankset (as you suggested in your "option 2") it has a chainring that is optimized for the 12 speed cassette. That could mean the chainring is bigger than you'd like for 11 speed.

For example, I my xo1 came with a 34t chainring. I might prefer 32, but 34 is fine. I still have the original cranks on my hardtail though, and it came with a 28t ring. Which makes the low gear ridiculously low, kinda cool for extremely steep stuff when I'm tired but otherwise unnecessary. So the chainring is something else you might need to play with if mixing things up.
    Appreciate the long winded response. My eagle came with a 32t chain ring.

Seems like either option would work fine but everyone thinks I should just use eagle since I have it already.

"Run what ya brung".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poprockz View Post
    Bad reviews of eagle still make me nervous on occasion.
    I had been a Shimano drive train only rider for many years. Specifically XT. There was a time you couldn't get me to go SRAM if you paid me. The trail bike I ride regularly now, which sees the most use out of my bikes by a long shot, has a SRAM 1x12 GX drive train. I had my doubts. But to be honest, it's been working without any issues, and better than I expected. The rear derailleur has taken a couple of good rock hits, enough to gouge into its aluminium parts. But it's still shifting fine. I have no complaints. The 500% range with 12 cogs is nice.

The only thing I personally don't like is SRAMS trigger mounting "system". Works great if all your components are SRAM. But I replaced my SRAM brakes with my usual XT preference. Had to fiddle around with extra parts to make make the mix work on the bars. Not really a big deal once you have the parts you need, just not as clean as I'd like it to be, but by no means a show stopper.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    IMO the biggest downside for the Eagle [and why I've stuck with 11sp for now] is the heavy and/or expensive cassettes.

Depending on your perspective, the big cog on the Eagle isn't really about giving you a good granny/bail-out climbing gear, you can do that with a regular 42T 11sp cassette by running a smaller chainring. It's about having that AND having a good high gear for pedalling on the downhills/roads etc. Personally, I find a 10-42 cassette with a 28 or 30t ring (27.5" wheels) gives me sufficient range for the vast majority of my riding. I don't feel any need for a taller gear, if I'm spinning out 30:10 on a trail I'm probably going too fast already, and on the road I'm happy just to coast.

No doubt Eagle is great for the range, I probably wouldn't sell if I bought a bike that came with it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to upgrade to it either.

mtbr member
    Where I ride there is no doubt the GX12 design is not the best choice for reliability. Because of it's long cage it sits much closer to the ground and is a magnet for sucking up debris. Combine that with trails that have lots of sticks and branches year round and you have a problem. I've been through a couple of twisted derailleurs in first year and at least a dozen times it has pulled lower cage/jockey into spokes. Usually I catch it before carnage but I'm getting tired of it. Next Eagle GX12 derailleur that gets roasted I'm moving on. I don't need the 500% range due to lack of flowy, high speed trails. I'm going to 11spd XT shimano 'med cage' RD & XT shifter with a GX11 cassette (XD driver).

For those who don't have debris covered singletrack I'm sure the GX12 is fine.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    Where I ride there is no doubt the GX12 design is not the best choice for reliability. Because of it's long cage it sits much closer to the ground and is a magnet for sucking up debris. Combine that with trails that have lots of sticks and branches year round and you have a problem. I've been through a couple of twisted derailleurs in first year and at least a dozen times it has pulled lower cage/jockey into spokes. Usually I catch it before carnage but I'm getting tired of it. Next Eagle GX12 derailleur that gets roasted I'm moving on. I don't need the 500% range due to lack of flowy, high speed trails. I'm going to 11spd XT shimano 'med cage' RD & XT shifter with a GX11 cassette (XD driver).

For those who don't have debris covered singletrack I'm sure the GX12 is fine.
    Think I'm going to go a similar route. I will run eagle since I have it, but if I bust a derailleur relatively quickly I will likely swap to the xt shifter/derailleur with gx cassette because it's the same cost as just the eagle derailleur.

If the eagle lasts a while without busting it and isn't fussy, I will stick to it even if something does eventually fail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Eagle is fine, use it if you have it. If you bust shit frequently get an 11-speed cassette, drop a size on your front chainring, and get a derailleur with a medium cage. All of the aforementioned 11 speed parts are cheap and most riders aren't spinning out downhill anyways.

mtbr member
    Im fat and lazy, and I can swing a 42t cassette for all day climbing. Sure, its coupled with a 28t front ring, but it'll hold 15+mph on the flats, which really is sufficient for me.

50t and an enormous 4 foot long derailleur seems worse to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I live in the mountains, where a climb can be 20 - 45 minutes long (and I haven't had my 1x12 on the long steep hills). If not for 30/50 I'd be leaving the bike parked in the garage more often. If you don't have steep, long hills, you may not need the 12 speed. The bike I purchased came with the 1x12, the model below was 1x11. If I had the 1x11, I'd be walking a lot. LOL
    I can't ride it as easily as my 2x10 though, despite the 2 bikes having the same effective gear ratio. At risk of being made fun of, I'm considering a 28t ring. Mostly so I can skip the 50t as often as I have to with respect to the jump in tooth count between 1st and 2nd gear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    that is brand new for the 12 speed. what is your experience?