shoulder protection options?- Mtbr.com
    tch
    mtbr member

shoulder protection options?

Took a high speed digger two weeks ago and ended up with a fairly serious (grade 5) separation of my right shoulder. Riding a trail I've ridden 50 or so times in the past two years and clipped a grass covered log on the downhill side of the narrow single track with my front tire. Launched over the bars, tucked and rolled nicely, but it was a good hit to the shoulder for sure. Not a scratch on my body otherwise.

Scary crash though.

So two weeks of rehab later and most my range of motion is back, it is still sore and achy, kind of weak, but it is becoming more stable every day. No surgery - whew. I have a odd looking right shoulder joint though - no more modeling.

I currently ride my DH or Super D type of trails with elbow and knee protection, but with my latest injury I'm feeling I should wear some coverage on the upper body and tend to believe that if I had been wearing something I might have escaped injury this ride.

Long story short - any real time experience with upper body protection? I've done some research and have a couple of styles in mind, but I'd like to know what you all, if anyone, is riding with shoulder coverage.

I do not want the full suit at this point. Shoulder, spine and chest is the protection I'm looking for.

should know better.....
    I've separated my shoulder once, nice lump now, and then took a bad fall onto it a second time, this time dislocating the shoulder quite badly, and re-injuring the separation.
    Ironically, I own a couple of different pressure suits, but wasn't wearing them either time. Generally I only wear them when I'm doing lift service, and I wasn't at the time of both crashes.
    Regardless, the one I feel would help the most is this: (a new version of one of mine)

http://sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike...b-d033fea8f3af

I like it because of the size of the shoulder cups. Too many suits have really small ones, that won't spread the load enough. Also, this suit lets me choose which elbow pads I want to run. I also have a full suit, but that is for lift served only.
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

tch
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neverwalk
    I've separated my shoulder once, nice lump now, and then took a bad fall onto it a second time, this time dislocating the shoulder quite badly, and re-injuring the separation.
    That is exactly why I'm looking for some protection. I like the 661 - have you hit the ground in it yet? Did the shoulder cups stay in place?

Thanks for the feedback.

should know better.....
    I have not hit the ground hard, just one slow speed get off where I ended going OTB and rolling, -on the previously injured side- but it was pretty controlled, definitely not a huge hit.
    Overall, the fit is quite good, and I'm pretty confident it would stay in place. I have to use pretty much all of the adjustment strap in the front to get it really snug though. If it started to stretch, I'd have to do some modification.
    Overall I'm very happy with it. I also wear a Leatt neck brace when wearing my full face, and it fits well with the brace.
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I seperated my shoulder 2yrs back and have been on a quest ever since to look for the perfect shoulder armour. Since I also live on the equator, it is bloody hot so the armour had to be fairly airy. I tried on many different suits and found raceface, the 661 that is mentioned in this thread andI recently found this http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/supp...est-139-a.html to have the shoulder protection that covers the point of the shoulder that is the vulnerable area that seperates. I bought the dainese armour cause it really has the best shoulder area protection out there and its not very hot either. The second time I was using it, I managed to put it through a crash test when I was downhilling 2 days ago. Went OTB off a drop and on a seperate incident on the same trail, I had the front wheel tuck under me on a high speed turn. Both times I landed hard on my right shoulder and walked away with nothing more than wind knocked out of me. This guy I was riding with also went OTB off the same drop but landed on his left side and probably busted his shoulder. It was pretty funny cause here he is on one side of the trail and me on the other but the poor guy was in so much more pain cause he didn't have any armour on.

Mojo Rider
    I have the 661 pressure suit and also just ordered a Leatt neck brace. When you use them together, do you put the back brace of the Leatt under or over the 661?

Thanks for the info.

Zac

mtbr member
    i have that exact same 661 shorty pressure suit. I was a first a little dissappointed because of no rib padding. I had earlier had rib sprains from clipping a root and falling on my right side. On the first ride, practicing on a small 2X2 foot gap jump, the rear tire didn't quite clear the landing ramp, my rt foot bounced off the pedal, i went down on the right side again. Not a hard hit but when toppling off a bike from about 5 feet up it can hurt. The pads absorbed most of the energy. No issue with my right side! I even saw some marks on the right shoulder pad where it hit. At first with all the armor and ff helmet, I felt a little claustrophobic, but after wards I almost didn't notice the ff helmet and body armor.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zrymland
    I have the 661 pressure suit and also just ordered a Leatt neck brace. When you use them together, do you put the back brace of the Leatt under or over the 661?

Thanks for the info.

Zac
    The thoracic member is placed under your back/spine protector suit. Rest assured, the LEATT BRACE comes with great instructions.

~Rudster~

mtbr member
    The Dainese Commander looks really good for a lightweight shoulder-chest-spine protector. I'll definitely take a look into it for skiing as well as MTB.

This is what I have been using for the past couple of years:

http://www.rockgardn.com/items/body-...htm?1=1&menu=1

I am happy with the fit and comfort of the Rockgarden jacket and the shoulder cups stay in place under impact.

Good luck in your rehab and hopefully you'll be 100% in very short time!

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Since this forum is pretty dated, does anyone have more up to date recommendations. 661 looks to have some good offerings, as does Leatt, but also see Race Face and 7. Something with D30 for shoulders seems to make sense (for less than full face helmet or lift riding).

Members who have read this thread: 14