Short travel, light all mountain race frames? asr5? others?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Short travel, light all mountain race frames? asr5? others?

Hey, I currently have a mojo HD. which I love, but i am looking for a shorter travel racer, but with All mountain geo! So far, I've been looking at the yeti asr5 carbon. Frame is 4.7 lbs with 67 degree HA (with a 140mm fork). I guess what I'm looking for is a xc race bike weight, with all mountain geo. I can't seem to find anything except the yeti asr5. Anything else I should be looking for out there?

LightJunction.com
    Have you checked out Chumba Racing? I'm not sure how light you want your frame to be, but the VF2 might be worth a look.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Chumba seems to be having some issues and may actually be out of business. Their CS is something to be wary about as well.

Maybe a Transition bandit? Or maybe a Titus carbon FTM with an angle set?

You are right, there are not many "very light" bikes with slack geometry.

mtbr member
    Maybe a Mojo SL-R with an Angleset? That would get you around 67 with a 150mm fork, IIRC.

mtbr member
    olijay.... I know where you are going. But, I already have a 2012 mojo HD. I can't see spending another 2500 dollars on a frame just to shave a pound. I am more in the market for a lightweight xc race bike but with the AM geo, or that can have an angleset put in it. So far, the asr5 is looking like the only one without using an angleset to get to a 67* HA. But, that is with a 140mm fork, it's 68* with a 120mm fork. A 4.7 lb frame is right around where I wanna be, my goal for a build would be no more than 24 lbs...

Ride and Smile
    Santa Cruz TRc
    Intense Carbine
    Yeti sounds like a good choice. I built a TRc and love it

mtbr member
    checked out the transition... 6.8 lb frame weight, yikes!! also the titus, 5.25 lbs. but with 69.25 HA. I don't know if that geo is with the 140mm or with the 150mm fork option. Again though, with angleset (if it's even compatible) probably only get it down to 67.75 to 68*....

mtbr member
    SC BLUR trc looks sick... That was another one I was looking at. But holy crap... 2700 for frame?!? also, can you install an angleset to get to 67* on the blur trc?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    SC BLUR trc looks sick... That was another one I was looking at. But holy crap... 2700 for frame?!? also, can you install an angleset to get to 67* on the blur trc?
    Are you sure about that price?
    Maybe the frame price is a bit high but complete builds aren't too bad.

Also check out Giant Trance Advanced (although they are pricey too).

Ride and Smile
    Yeah, 2700 is stiff. Angleset - yes, but I would ride it first, because with 140 fork it feels really nice and the angleset can be high maintenance.

Ride and Smile
    Stumpjumper evo?

Ian
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've got a carbon Giant Anthem. With a -2 degree works component headset and 2 x 3mm off set bushings on the rear shock gives me a head angle of 67 degrees and a bottom bracket height of 12.5 inches running a RS rev at 130mm. Complete weight is just over 25 lbs with 50mm stem wide bars, flat pedals etc. Brillant bike. Check out last months Dirt Mag, there was a review of a blinged up AS5R-C. Lovelly bike.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I've got a carbon Giant Anthem. With a -2 degree works component headset and 2 x 3mm off set bushings on the rear shock gives me a head angle of 67 degrees and a bottom bracket height of 12.5 inches running a RS rev at 130mm. Complete weight is just over 25 lbs with 50mm stem wide bars, flat pedals etc. Brillant bike. Check out last months Dirt Mag, there was a review of a blinged up AS5R-C. Lovelly bike.
    That sounds.....yeah-Brillant!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Like Ian said. Or, something like the Trance-X.

I picked up a TX-4 low end version, demo bike, barely used for super cheap. Swapped all my parts on (with a 150mm Sektor Solo Air) and the bike rips. 27# with a UST tires setup, Reverb, Single ring.

Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    2700is msrp.....i got my nomad carbon for around 2200 in the real world

mtbr member
    that's all good scrublover, but my mojo HD with 160mm travel is already down to 27#'s on raceday. Looking for a frame light enough to get me down to 23-24 pounds without spending thousands on components

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    that's all good scrublover, but my mojo HD with 160mm travel is already down to 27#'s on raceday. Looking for a frame light enough to get me down to 23-24 pounds without spending thousands on components
    Right - no worries - just throwing out another suggestion. If I'd had the funds, this would have been the carbon version, and considerably lighter.

So you get the carbon version of whatever frame you decide on. to get that weight, you're going to have to anyhow, and you're already down with carbon. QR fork, skinny tires, single ring setup, skip the dropper post, etc.

If you want that combo of light weight, durability, and stouter geometry - you're going to have to pay for it somewhere. I guess what would help is to know your overall budget.

Like Ian said, maybe just grab a stock Anthem carbon something or other, stick an angled headset in it and be done.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Ian
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If it helps, here's the ASR5-C that was in the Dirt mag. Expensive build, but strong components. I beleive the weight was 24.9 lb with Reverb. Apart from Reverb, no obvious great weight savings to be had. Full spec is in the mag.

Guess the weight of the cake!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What about a liteville 301? A shade over 5 lbs and very suited to AM

Nigel
    Jul 2011
    Liteville 301

Steve Hinchliffe, MBA: I can honestly say that the Liteville 301 is the best all around bike Ive ridden; period. Whatever you want to do, from XC racing through to bike park stunts, its up to the challenge and then some.

If you go to the community section of the liteville web site, it lists several hundred riders bikes with weights and components, everthing from XC to DH.

Loving mine!

Nigel, Melb Australia

Helmetless Crasher
    Go with a carbon Cannondale RZ.

I have an AL RZ120-2. W/ a few mods it's right at about 25#.

Basically an XC bike w/ plush travel and a very rigid/responsive frame/fork.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    The Blur TrC has a 68* HA with a fork that has a 501 mm A2C. If u run something like a 140mm fork, should put u right around 67. I'd go with the Blur, for the simple fact that Santa Cruz is way ahead of the curve when it comes to carbon. Do a simple search on yeti carbon rear triangle fail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon? 5.2 pound frame with 67.5 HA on a 140 fork (67.1 with a 150). And you could go with an angleset obviously. Might be the ticket.

mtbr member
    I looked into this last year before picking up the ASR5C. The Blur TRc and the Mojo SL were the only 2 real options. What tipped the scales towards the Yeti for me was the 67 HA and the thru-axle option. I got it to replace my RacerX and planned on using it mostly for racing with the occasional Willowdale rip. I raced it a few times last year and the bike was stellar. But what really surprised me was how much fun this bike is as an All Mountain bike. I simply change the tires out for AM days and the bike completely rips up the trails.

It does look like other companies are catching on. The new Specy Stumpy Evo has very similar geometry and weight and is worth looking into. Pivot's carbon 5.7 is worth a gander. Knolly should have a carbon XC thing out next year. I'm glad to see bike companies start to pull away from the old school XC geo.

Members who have read this thread: 0