seatpost/saddle/bars- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

seatpost/saddle/bars

I'm looking into some seatposts. Weight isn't a major concern. I don't want it to be too heavy though. I'm looking at the Thomson Masterpiece and the Elite. I hear that the Masterpiece is more for XC riding than for all mountain or freeride. I mainly do light freeride, but it does happen. The elite seems to be what I'm leaning on right now, but I would appreciate insight.

I'm also looking into getting a new saddle sometime in the future. I have been told that there is no 'all mountain' specific seat. I suppose this does make sense.
    A flexible seat is nice if it covers some of the needs of cushion. I would also like one that is a bit wider. I'm at about 6'3" so a narrow one won't do. I'm not looking for one that will tear easily. It could get kicked around a bit. I'm currently using a Specialized Phenom and realize it is more for XC, or that's what it at least feels like. It is durable and flexes, but it would be nice to have just a little bit more cushion. If there are Specialized seats like the Phenom with slightly more cushion, that would be great.
    Looking at Art's Cyclery website and I'm considering the Romin Comp Gel http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-...?crumb=MTMCOMP
    or
    http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-...?crumb=MTMCOMP
    possibly
    http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-...?crumb=MTMCOMP
    I plan on shopping on that site and I can order different seats that are unlisted from them.
    They also have a lot of WTBs so those are also up for consideration
    I've heard good and bad things about Selle Italia. The bad being that they rip easily. The good being that they are comfortable.

I'm also considering some handlebars in the future. I'm looking into some 760mm ones. I like them wide, and have been considering Deity Dirty 30s. Any thoughts on these or other possible recommendations?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I m not a saddle expert by any means, BUT your height doesn't play into the width of the saddle. It is your sit bones that determine the width of the saddle you shuld buy. A lot of shops have gooey pads designed so you can measure your sit bones. I am 5'10" and have wider sit bones. I think I read an article somewhere that measured a bunch of people sit bones and a 5'1" women had the widest sit bones and the big tall dude had the narrowest.

After having tried many saddles and I am very happy with the WTB Vigo. It is not the lightest, it has more padding than usual although it is a very firm padding. One big selling point for me is that it has easily replacable rails.

As far as seatposts I just ordered a Thomson elite, but I have a RaceFace Deus seat post that I love the way it adjusts. I needed a 0* offset so I had to change. If I didn't need the zero offset I would not have changed from the Deus Post.

Good Luck Dude

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Flboy View Post
    I m not a saddle expert by any means, BUT your height doesn't play into the width of the saddle. It is your sit bones that determine the width of the saddle you shuld buy. A lot of shops have gooey pads designed so you can measure your sit bones. I am 5'10" and have wider sit bones. I think I read an article somewhere that measured a bunch of people sit bones and a 5'1" women had the widest sit bones and the big tall dude had the narrowest.

After having tried many saddles and I am very happy with the WTB Vigo. It is not the lightest, it has more padding than usual although it is a very firm padding. One big selling point for me is that it has easily replacable rails.

As far as seatposts I just ordered a Thomson elite, but I have a RaceFace Deus seat post that I love the way it adjusts. I needed a 0* offset so I had to change. If I didn't need the zero offset I would not have changed from the Deus Post.

Good Luck Dude
    Thank you for letting me know on that matter.
    I think I saw some saddles in there for that purpose. I'm a little disappointed that they did not go ahead and try to get me to use that before I bought a saddle from them. I simply looked at a few and they sold it to me. I suppose it is on both myself and the shop employees, but I think people in a shop should be helping an amateur in these matters. Oh well, at least you have provided me with some new knowledge and for that I thank you.

I had been checking out the Vigo but I'll make sure to check out how wide my sit bones are this time.

I'm on a bike that has zero offset on the seatpost, so I'll probably be getting the Elite. $50 different for 30 grams on a seatpost isn't something I care too much about. I've heard of the Masterpiece bending more anyways.
    Thanks again for your help

local trails rider
    Thomson Elite is a sure bet for seat posts. I really like the clamp mechanism: once you get the seat positioned right, it will stay there.

Seats are really really personal. I don't want to mention any brands or models because what fits me might not work for you at all.

There's lots of options for bars. My latest is a straight Blackspire bar, shortened a bit. Strong but I cannot call it particularly light. Lots of colors to choose between

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    if you do light freeride i'd imagine you definitely drop your seat height often for jumping, right? if you're paying for those lines with a lot of climbing first maybe a WTB model or Fizik Gobi? obviously it's personal. the reason I mention those brands is I've seen shops that have demo models you could fly before you buy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    Thomson Elite is a sure bet for seat posts. I really like the clamp mechanism: once you get the seat positioned right, it will stay there.

Seats are really really personal. I don't want to mention any brands or models because what fits me might not work for you at all.

There's lots of options for bars. My latest is a straight Blackspire bar, shortened a bit. Strong but I cannot call it particularly light. Lots of colors to choose between
    I'm not a big weight snob, but I am just looking to cut down a little bit. I've heard some good things about those Blackspire bars so I'll make sure to check them out. I'm going to get black ones as I have a black bike with some blue details and my ODI grips have blue locks so that part is covered. I'm between Blackspire and Deity Dirty 30s and I'm still looking into other ones.
    Thanks for the tip on the seats. I am a 143mm but I'll be trying a number of different ones out soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    if you do light freeride i'd imagine you definitely drop your seat height often for jumping, right? if you're paying for those lines with a lot of climbing first maybe a WTB model or Fizik Gobi? obviously it's personal. the reason I mention those brands is I've seen shops that have demo models you could fly before you buy.
    I'll be sure to ask if I can demo any seats

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I can unreservedly recommend WTB saddles and Thomson posts.

Check out the Laser or Pure series saddles.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    I'm going to get black ones as I have a black bike with some blue details and my ODI grips have blue locks so that part is covered.
    I had a couple of gold colored parts for my bike, so went for the gold colored bar on an otherwise black bike...

As the Fizik brand of seats has been mentioned... many like the Gobi but it did not suit me. Mainly because I felt it restricted me to one position on the seat. I went for a model with a flat top surface.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    I had a couple of gold colored parts for my bike, so went for the gold colored bar on an otherwise black bike...

As the Fizik brand of seats has been mentioned... many like the Gobi but it did not suit me. Mainly because I felt it restricted me to one position on the seat. I went for a model with a flat top surface.
    The Gobi would be too small for me. I'm going to need a 143mm in width one. I'm going to be checking into the Romin Pro and the WTB Vigo Carbon SLT. I've sat on a Vigo Carbon SLT before and am leaning on that one at this point. The Specialized Romin Pro is something I want to keep in mind but the Vigo Carbon SLT will probably be my choice. This is because I had the Specialized Phenom Expert and it was a bit too hard for me. It flexed a little bit but it wasn't enough. I realize the Romin Pro has similar design, but I want to check it out as the curves on it are a bit different. I want the cushion that the Vigo Carbon SLT has and it appears tha this saddle is durable.

As for the Blackspire handlebars;
    I notice that their website only offers 800mm. I thought about how some of their blue bars would look on my bike and I decided that would actually look nice. My only problem with them is that they are 800mm only. I realize this is nearly 2 inches longer. Although that doesn't seem like a lot, I fear buying bars that I realize are too wide. I like the 760mm width on the bars that I have. I am probably leaning on Deity Dirty 30s.

local trails rider
    I shortened my Blackspire bar, about an inch at each end (didn't measure exactly). I did it with a hacksaw, using a worn lock-on grip as a guide. A tube cutter will do it too, as long as you tighten it gently enough not to destroy the "blade".

I don't know how many degrees the Blackspire bars are bent. Just riding along I sometimes feel it is a bit too straight but that feeling disappears when I'm dealing with roots, rocks and stuff.

mtbr member
    Im seeing alot of WTB saddles must be pretty good. My Chromag TM is decent took some getting use to. I may have to try one of the WTB's out.