Searching for a new SPD shoe (Traditional MTB style vs DH flat style)- Mtbr.com
    BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008

Searching for a new SPD shoe (Traditional MTB style vs DH flat style)

Let me get a couple things out here to start.
    Yes I have flats with Five Tens.... they rock but I also using SPD's sometimes.
    I dont care how the shoes look and am limited in brands because of what I can get for good deals.

I am using shimano m785 pedals

I am thinking something like this.

I guess I am curious how they ride differently compared to traditional SPD mountain shoes.
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    I have used Sidi shoes for a long time and recently i decided to look for a pair of clip-in sticky rubber shoes for more technical rides where quick dismounts or walking on steep slickrock may happen. I have been running Five Ten Minnaar shoes with XTR Trail Pedals and clipping and unclipping is smooth and trouble free.

think
    Jul 2008
    The shoes don't ride all that differently. They're not even much or any heavier depending on what your other shoe is. Depending on the shoe you may find the positioning options for the cleat are biased just a wee bit further back, but you can probably get it wherever you want it. They may not be as stiff as a carbon soled race shoe but they should be stiff enough.

The rubber shoe will make contact with the flat surfaces on the new Trail pedals much more effectively and give improved stability and support. I find clipping in and out to be just as easy as with a race style shoe. The setup resists left/right rolling much better than an xc shoe/ race pedal setup and provides measurable additional stability and support. After you get used to it going back to a race pedal and xc shoe feels like balancing on two tennis balls.

I've been using the old 661 Filter shoe and M530's. My opinion could be biased by things like the amount the cleat is recessed on this particular shoe. Your mileage may vary, but I'm very happy with this setup.

Members who have read this thread: 0