mtbr member
    Aug 2018

SBG Patrol Carbon or Nomad 4 CC

Hey all

I've tried to find an existing thread on this, but nothing has really come up in my search.

I cracked my Canyon Strive frame and I am now looking for a replacement.

This is not my only bike, so I'm happy with having a big bike.

I have been fortunate enough to borrow a friend's Carbon SBG Patrol and it was great. But I would probably (arguably) need to buy a reduced offset fork.

The Nomad I'm trying to get a ride on, and I wouldn't need a new fork. So the price works out pretty similar.

Your thoughts and experience of anyone who has tried both.
    Last edited by Pixels42; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:31 PM.

mtbr member
    It's a pop vs plow choice from what I gather.

I own an SBG Patrol (absolutely love it) and it's pretty nimble despite the numbers/geo. A few buddies ride the new Nomad and I believe the consensus is you can really straight line through chunk at speed and it inspires confidence.

Probably can't go wrong with either...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    It's a pop vs plow choice from what I gather.

I own an SBG Patrol (absolutely love it) and it's pretty nimble despite the numbers/geo. A few buddies ride the new Nomad and I believe the consensus is you can really straight line through chunk at speed and it inspires confidence.

This

couple of the guys I ride with have Nomads and when we measure My Medium Patrol to their Larges, there is a whopping 1-2 "s of difference in wheelbase..What does that mean?

Nothing other than both are super long bikes that love the downs

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Ha, I think that's the challenge for me. I did love the Patrol, but I think I need to have a go on the Nomad and the decision should be easy then. I just need to know where I sit on the plough factor!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I don’t think the nomad with an air shock in the back lacks pop. Definitely more responsive than the last generation. Bike has gotten me out of a few sketchy high speed situations as well

I think you’d be happy with either. Would love to try a patrol but my next bike will likely be a 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying a Nomad out this weekend and will report back with my thoughts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I got to try an SBG Carbon Patrol for a couple of hours and it was awesome.

I also got to borrow a Nomad C (lasts years e13 cassette/Lyric build) for a day and it was awesome as well.

As suggested it seems to be a plough vs pop. However, I found the Nomad to much easier to manage (when on the ground), and also I found the Nomad to be a much better climber.

I'm leaning towards the Nomad. Now I just need to pick a colour...

mtbr member
    May 2017
    2017 carbon patrol + shock = 50% off in size large on transition website. Just bought one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tantrum007 View Post
    2017 carbon patrol + shock = 50% off in size large on transition website. Just bought one.
    2017 is not SBG, but still an amazing bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have not spent any real time on the nomad 4, but have been on a sbg patrol for about a year and absolutely love it. Still the best cornering bike I have ever ridden, and ridiculously stable in the steeps and chunk. The complete bikes I think are pretty dialed for the money, coming with grip2 damper fox’s on most of the builds and dpx2 shocks. If you can sell yours complete, it may make the most sense with needing a fork too. Or you can buy a set of reduced offset uppers for your existing fork potentially too. The code rsc brakes have been awesome too, coming from guide ultimates I would have said that I didn’t need more power or less fade capability, but after riding the codes I wouldn’t go ever go back.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    +1 for the Patrol.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker831 View Post
    I have not spent any real time on the nomad 4, but have been on a sbg patrol for about a year and absolutely love it. Still the best cornering bike I have ever ridden, and ridiculously stable in the steeps and chunk. The complete bikes I think are pretty dialed for the money, coming with grip2 damper fox’s on most of the builds and dpx2 shocks. If you can sell yours complete, it may make the most sense with needing a fork too. Or you can buy a set of reduced offset uppers for your existing fork potentially too. The code rsc brakes have been awesome too, coming from guide ultimates I would have said that I didn’t need more power or less fade capability, but after riding the codes I wouldn’t go ever go back.
    I had another go on a Patrol and ended up ordering a frame. I’m going going to try it with the regular fork, but I get the feeling I will be getting a reduced offset one anyway.

No selling the previous bike complete as I have a cracke frame. Crash replacement cost at 4 years is about the same as a the patrol anyway.