RSD Middle Child Build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

RSD Middle Child Build

Hi all,
    I just put a deposit on an aluminum RSD Middle Child frame that I plan to build up. I think I will go with the 29x2.6 wheel format. This will replace a carbon full suspension bike I just sold....As the bikes in my sig suggest, I generally love hardtails.

RSD Middle Child aluminum frame
    Rockshox Pike RC/140mm
    Spank Oozy 395+/Hope Pro4
    Shimano XT 11 speed/SRAM XG1150 cassette
    Shimano M6000 brakes

Shaving a few corners (brakes, cranks) and using some spare parts, I can come in around $2500-$2600. I know I can just get the steel complete, but I really love a slightly lighter bike and the raw aluminum color....

If I love the bike, maybe I sell the Stache

What is a good, reasonably priced dropper?

Gman
    2020 Giant Trance 29
    2018 Jamis Dragonslayer
    2018 Orbea Alma
    1998 Trek 930

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Also, I pre-ordered a Medium, but am considering the large. I currently have a Stache 5 in size m/l (18.5) and the numbers are close with the M RSD, with the RSD slightly longer. The Stache is not too large at all. It doesn't appear that there is a large gap between the medium and large RSD, either could be made to work. I'm 5'9" with long torso, and generally fit 18-19" frames. 17" frames generally feel cramped.

The ETT and Reach on the Large RSD is slightly over half an inch longer than Medium, should I go large?
    Gman
    2020 Giant Trance 29
    2018 Jamis Dragonslayer
    2018 Orbea Alma
    1998 Trek 930

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grodyman View Post
    Also, I pre-ordered a Medium, but am considering the large. I currently have a Stache 5 in size m/l (18.5) and the numbers are close with the M RSD, with the RSD slightly longer. The Stache is not too large at all. It doesn't appear that there is a large gap between the medium and large RSD, either could be made to work. I'm 5'9" with long torso, and generally fit 18-19" frames. 17" frames generally feel cramped.

The ETT and Reach on the Large RSD is slightly over half an inch longer than Medium, should I go large?
    Gman
    I prefer a smaller frame / shorter seattubes so I can get dropped out of way when descending so I would vote medium.

Droppers -

Budget - CRC has the brandx dropper - they are not sexy, remote is flimsy but functional, but are cheap and I have one on my bike i use for riding with the kids that has been more then functional.

Curiosity - the new pnw components dropper looks really good. Also the one-up v2.1.

No budget. - bikeyoke revive. Easily the best dropper I have come across (other then a handful that have failed at the seat clamp on the interwebs). Failures appear to be related to improper clamping (backwards?) But i keep an eye on mine for cracks just in case. It's like checking your tire pressure. But man is that post sweet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I pre-ordered a steel MC frame last fall and it looks like it should be here next week. I'm just under 6' and ordered a large. I have a Brand-X 150mm dropper for it that I got from CRC on some kind of super sale. I suspect it's the same as the perfectly functional TranzX that came on my Norco. The lever even looks the same.

I'll also set it up 11 speed XT/SLX and probably throw some M6000's on it for brakes. Doing 27.5x2.8 for summer and have studded 29x2.8 cake eaters for winter (hopefully the rear fits, they actually measure 2.6)

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I am going to try the new PNW Ranier, we will see how it fares. I ordered 35mm rims, but am second guessing them for 2.6 tires. A lot of options when building, I could have went 12 speed, but Hope hubs can be converted to microspline eventually if I want. I will probably stick with the Medium. I'll keep an eye on this thread and post pics on the finished product.

I spent a little more than I could have ordered the steel complete for, but I was able to customize it with the parts I wanted and spec'd shorter cranks, I hate pedal strikes.

Gman
    2020 Giant Trance 29
    2018 Jamis Dragonslayer
    2018 Orbea Alma
    1998 Trek 930

mtbr member
    I got a PNW Rainer in Jan. It works flawlessly. Returns quick enough and has not gotten stuck.