RS Ricon TK - Damper O'ring- Mtbr.com
    npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

RS Recon TK - Damper O'ring

Can someone help me identify this part?

I ordered the basic service kit for tora/Ricon but it doesn't have the o'ring where the arrow is pointing to :

Mine seems damaged and I believe that's the reason oil leaks into the lowers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RS Ricon TK - Damper O'ring-1559065236462.png  

Last edited by npn; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Thats the seal for the damper unit. If that seal fails, you wont have a lockout, but thats it.

It cant cause an external oil leak. If your lockout works, that seal is working. You may need to replace the damper to get that seal, I dont see it listed separately.

npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thanks for your response One Pivot

The Lockout doesn't work. I called sram and they told me to purchase maintenance kit 11.4310.706.000 which includes the seal.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by npn View Post
    Thanks for your response One Pivot

The Lockout doesn't work. I called sram and they told me to purchase maintenance kit 11.4310.706.000 which includes the seal.
    Youre better served by buying the motion control variant of that compression assembly. You might be better off leaving it as-is. That lockout exists to the detriment of the fork.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Not sure if I understand you. I read somewhere that if the seal is broken, oil would leak into the lowers and prevent the fork's full travel. I already received the seal kit and I was planning on fixing it, you think I shouldn't? It was like $30 and I really don't want to invest anymore in this fork

mbtr member
    Not sure if I understand you. I read somewhere that if the seal is broken, oil would leak into the lowers and prevent the fork's full travel. I already received the seal kit and I was planning on fixing it, you think I shouldn't? It was like $30 and I really don't want to invest anymore in this fork
    It's been a while, but i'm pretty certain that your issue is the o-ring that seals the rebound shaft. Common problem. Internal pressure from the garbage lockout blows it, and oil leaks in to the lowers. The missing oil makes it so the lockout engages deeper in its travel, and the oil in the lowers prevents you from achieving full travel. The underlying problem is that the TK damper doesn't have any mechanism to bleed off at high pressure- it's the same reason the TK damper feels harsh.

As for whether you should do a rebuild... sure, a functional fork is much better than a nonfunctional one. That TK compression "damper" sucks, though. A moco version bolts in. In these days where you can get a fully featured (damper with high/low speed compression and rebound) xfusion or manitou for like ~200$ i think fussing with entry-level rockshox is a tough sell.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Just about 2 months after I replaced the o'ring in the picture... I had the the fork sitting in the basement and and yesterday after testing it, I saw that the problem came back - namely it won't lock.

scottzg - I think you might be right... "the o-ring that seals the rebound shaft" is it what I drew on the picture in the OP?

mbtr member
    Just about 2 months after I replaced the o'ring in the picture... I had the the fork sitting in the basement and and yesterday after testing it, I saw that the problem came back - namely it won't lock.

scottzg - I think you might be right... "the o-ring that seals the rebound shaft" is it what I drew on the picture in the OP?
    No, that is the compression assembly in your photo. If that o-ring blew then your lockout wouldn't work, but you'd still achieve full travel.

The oring i'm talking about is visible if you remove the lowers. There's an aluminum rod going in to the uppers, through a plastic plate. The oring sits between the alu rod and the plastic plate.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    No, that is the compression assembly in your photo. If that o-ring blew then your lockout wouldn't work, but you'd still achieve full travel.
    Hmm, that's the only o'ring I replaced as it was visibly damaged. I'm thinking you're right and I'll need to open the fork again. I appreciate it!

npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Ok, opened it...

There's no oil in the lowers. And after I opened it I remembered the o'ring you're referring to - I did change it so it's good.

As you can see, the o'ring on the pic here came off so I wonder if it came off while inside and hence the Lockout failing to work

RS Ricon TK - Damper O'ring-20190929_124939.jpg