Ross Hitech Replacement parts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Ross Hitech Replacement parts

Hello, I am a rookie when it comes to biking and I’m looking for help selecting parts that could replace the broken parts on my Ross Hitech. I have been riding it for a few years, but never had to replace anything on it.
    Specifically, the 6 gear flywheel in the rear tire is making noise and slips and the back breaks also stopped working.
    Any suggestions as to what Parts I could order that would be compatible for my bike? Rear tire? What size? Flywheel? What kind? Brakes? What kind? Thanks in advance to anyone who could help. I really appreciate it. Have a great day!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ross Hitech Replacement parts-0d1bf5a8-1cd6-4ac2-876f-6541266f4412.jpg  

Ross Hitech Replacement parts-079db113-c2e3-45f9-8821-63535c2d4d78.jpg  

Ross Hitech Replacement parts-4aa72dea-07a7-45c4-a954-fc1ae90651d6.jpg  

Ross Hitech Replacement parts-5b5ecb2e-3b2b-4812-9fa7-746f89e77683.jpg  

Ross Hitech Replacement parts-db6b3384-32d2-4b3b-8e07-ccf7fb55b884.jpg  

mtbr member
    pics of the bike? there's no way to advise on this bike without knowing what specific parts are on it. there's no point in asking for advice about this bike without giving us a frame of reference.

many of your problems are going to be impossible to diagnose over the internet. you need a mechanic to look at it in person to determine what is worn out and what is worth salvaging.

this sounds like an OLD bike. your question should go in the Vintage forum, TBH.

bicycles do not have "flywheels". your bike either has a freewheel or a freehub with a cassette attached.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Thanks for replying.
    As I mentioned, I am a rookie when it comes to bikes and do not even know the names of the parts. Sorry about the “flywheel” comment. It must be a freewheel or freehub like you mentioned. All I can tell is that is says “Shimano 600” on it. It has 6 “gears” or sprockets. I do not know the exact word. I did bring it to a local bike mechanic, but he says they don’t make those parts anymore and could not suggest replacement parts. He said that I had to ask around. I even offered to pay him for his advise, but he would not do it because he was too busy. I do not know how old the bike is. All I know is that I had it for a few years, sorry if I posted in the wrong forum. Most of the parts on it say Shimano, including the brake pads. I’ll update my post with pics. Thank you again for responding to my post.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuliodgo View Post
    Thanks for replying.
    As I mentioned, I am a rookie when it comes to bikes and do not even know the names of the parts. Sorry about the “flywheel” comment. It must be a freewheel or freehub like you mentioned. All I can tell is that is says “Shimano 600” on it. It has 6 “gears” or sprockets. I do not know the exact word. I did bring it to a local bike mechanic, but he says they don’t make those parts anymore and could not suggest replacement parts. He said that I had to ask around. I even offered to pay him for his advise, but he would not do it because he was too busy. I do not know how old the bike is. All I know is that I had it for a few years, sorry if I posted in the wrong forum. Most of the parts on it say Shimano, including the brake pads. I’ll update my post with pics. Thank you again for responding to my post.
    So I'll be the first to tell you that I don't know much about working on older bikes like yours - when I started riding v-brakes were being used and all of my bikes have had freehubs and not freewheels.

That said - your rear brake should be a fairly straightforward fix. It could be as simple as cleaning the rim and sanding the surface of the brakepads down a little bit. Or, it could require a new brake cable and housing.

From here down I am speculating and guessing:

The freewheel is definitely more challenging. I did a quick google search for 'Shimano 600 freewheel', and there are some for sale on eBay. Brand new ones are expensive, but used ones could make sense, although they will be a gamble also since they are used. If you want to make sure you have the same gearing after you replace the freewheel, you will need to count the number of teeth on each cog of the freewheel and try to find an equivalent cluster.

Finding a tool to remove the freewheel will also be problem. I found a thread here that gives one idea, and it links to another thread with some more, possibly useful info.

You will almost certainly need a bike mechanic to help you with this - they will need to really inspect what you have to figure out what the correct replacement parts are and what tools would be required to fix it.

You might find out that it makes more sense to buy a new bike than spend money to keep this one running. Hard to say...

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post. I appreciate it.
    What I am looking for is: compatible replacement parts. I really don't care about replacing parts with original parts, I just want to keep my bike running because I like it so much. If I have to use a slightly different freewheel or freehub (I don't know what mine is called) then, so be it, I am just trying to figure out if I can order compatible parts that will work to replace what I have. I just don't want to order them to find out that they won't work. I found a new wheel and a new cassette on Amazon, but I cannot tell if they will work because they don't give much info. The wheel is 26" and fits my bike, but I don't know what to use to replace the freewheel/freehub/cassette. The wheel is 26" x 2.125, 36H, Steel, Bolt on, Black. The cassette is a Shimano 7 Speed Cassette CS-HG20-7. I am so lost that I don't know if I need a freewheel, freehub, or cassette.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ross Hitech Replacement parts-cassette.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mbtr member
    That bike is cool as heck. It has a place in the history of MTB, and those ride well and are great for commuting and dirty touring. Yours looks like it came with an m700 build, which is rare, cool, and works well. Definitely worth refurbishing.

There are absolutely all the parts available to recondition that bike.

For the freewheel- sunrace and ird still make them in 6sp, off the top of my head. IIRC you can run a 7sp freewheel on a 6sp hub, but not an 8sp. You probably don't want to if you have indexed shifting (which im almost certain you don't). If the chain is slipping on the freewheel you'll want to replace the chain as well... and might have to replace a chainring or 3 as well.

Tire- the tire has been ridden with not enough air, causing the tire to slip on the rim. See the crooked valve core? It will get sheared off if you keep doing that. You'll want a 26" tire, and probably ~2" wide, but exact width depends on where you ride the bike, and how much space there is to cram the tire in there.

Wheel- squeaks can be caused by lots of things. It would be better to have a mechanic look it over and check the bearings and spokes. A trained eye can spot problems in seconds that you don't know to identify.

Brakes- you need new cantilever brake pads, fosho. Might as well do the front ones too, i like koolstop pads. While we're doing an overhaul, it's sensible to replace the cables and housings too.

General- this is an old bike that clearly hasn't seen service in a while. I'd want to grease everything, check tolerances, replace the shift cables, and inspect everything.

This might sound daunting, but it's no big deal. You'll want help from an expert, and if you have time to show it to multiple techs one of them is gonna light up and be happy to work on some quality old kit. It's like finding an auto mechanic to work on your 50s chevy daily driver.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Great advice! Thanks for your reply!

mtbr member
    what are your expectations for this bike? You're welcome to do whatever you want on any bike if you so chose, but there are good reasons why bikes have changed a lot since that one was made. nothing wrong with restoring an old bike for nostalgic and utilitarian purposes, but it will have its limits under a mere mortal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    what are your expectations for this bike? You're welcome to do whatever you want on any bike if you so chose, but there are good reasons why bikes have changed a lot since that one was made. nothing wrong with restoring an old bike for nostalgic and utilitarian purposes, but it will have its limits under a mere mortal.
    I just want to keep it running. I'm so used to it and have ridden it for so long, that if I can keep it running, that is all I want. I will consider getting a new one, but if I can keep this one running, I rather give it a try first. If the cost of keeping it running exceeds the cost of a cool, new replacement, then I'll reconsider my desire to keep this one running.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    That bike is cool as heck. It has a place in the history of MTB, and those ride well and are great for commuting and dirty touring. Yours looks like it came with an m700 build, which is rare, cool, and works well. Definitely worth refurbishing.

There are absolutely all the parts available to recondition that bike.

For the freewheel- sunrace and ird still make them in 6sp, off the top of my head. IIRC you can run a 7sp freewheel on a 6sp hub, but not an 8sp. You probably don't want to if you have indexed shifting (which im almost certain you don't). If the chain is slipping on the freewheel you'll want to replace the chain as well... and might have to replace a chainring or 3 as well.

Tire- the tire has been ridden with not enough air, causing the tire to slip on the rim. See the crooked valve core? It will get sheared off if you keep doing that. You'll want a 26" tire, and probably ~2" wide, but exact width depends on where you ride the bike, and how much space there is to cram the tire in there.

Wheel- squeaks can be caused by lots of things. It would be better to have a mechanic look it over and check the bearings and spokes. A trained eye can spot problems in seconds that you don't know to identify.

Brakes- you need new cantilever brake pads, fosho. Might as well do the front ones too, i like koolstop pads. While we're doing an overhaul, it's sensible to replace the cables and housings too.

General- this is an old bike that clearly hasn't seen service in a while. I'd want to grease everything, check tolerances, replace the shift cables, and inspect everything.

This might sound daunting, but it's no big deal. You'll want help from an expert, and if you have time to show it to multiple techs one of them is gonna light up and be happy to work on some quality old kit. It's like finding an auto mechanic to work on your 50s chevy daily driver.
    Great advice! Thanks for your reply!