Thread: Rockshox Recon?

mtbr member

Rockshox Recon?

How is the Rockshox recon as far as air forks go and what is maintenance like. If you saw the thread about my crash, then you probably know I'm upgrading.
    Can't afford thru axle

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Recon 351 is just a lighter version of the Tora 318. I have one of each. Stiffness is OK, good dampner, and reasonably plush. I've had mine apart once and was easy to take apart and reassemble if you have the right tools. It can handle a 203 disc, but I found its not real happy with one, it flexed quite a bit (this was with the fork set @ 120mm)...a DT RWS skewer helped. Have not noticed flex with a 185/160 rotor.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've got a coil U-Turn on my HT and love it. It's nice and plush without being mushy (I have the firm spring on). I haven't tried the air one but I'm guessing it's gotta be even better (it was out of my price range 'cause I wanted a travel adjust).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Love it !!

I have had the Recon 351 Solo Air for almost a year now and for the money it really is a steal. I do 3-4 foot drops on it and had no problems thus far, changed the travel to from 100 to 130 mm and it is a good AM fork. Smooth and rigid for a quick release fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've been pretty happy with mine (351 solo air). Especially since I got it really cheap as a pull off from another bike since I have a short headtube.

Note that only the 351 has 'motion control' dampening.

Pretty easy to service too, though the retaining ring on the bottom of the air side is kind of a pain to get on and off.

Members who have read this thread: 0